Quantcast
Is there some sort of conspiracy against the Oilers? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Is there some sort of conspiracy against the Oilers?

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Default Is there some sort of conspiracy against the Oilers?

This is NOT an Edmonton bashing thread by any means. I have been doing alot of internet browsing lately and there seems to be some general unrest between players, coach, & management to the likes that I've never witnessed in one offseason with any team:

Pronger - no explanation required
    Spacek - according to TSN wanted out of Edmonton (now gone to Buffalo for the same money the Oilers offered)
    Peca - wasn't happy from the very beginning and his play reflected that.
    Dvorak - said "he has NO interest" in signing with the Oilers.
    Tarnstrom - would rather go to Europe than play for the Oilers.
    Samsonov - hasn't ruled it out but is using the Oilers interest only to get a better contract from another team like Detroit.
    MacT - still hasn't been signed & knows he was the fall guy if Vancouver didn't implode.
    Horcoff - going to arbitration (didn't like the Oilers lowball qualifying offer).
    Stoll & Hemsky still not signed wile most teams have addressed their core RFA players.

We all know that Edmonton is probably one of, if not the least desired location to play for many players but I think there's more to this than that. It's starting to look like Kevin Lowe isn't very popular around the league with other GM's and player agents. Remember when Lowe dealt Comrie to Anaheim and at the last minute cancelled the deal and sent him to Philly. Both Clarke & Murray were not amused. Brian Burke after the Pronger deal mentioned that he wouldn't deal with Lowe again anytime soon as he wasn't pleased how Kevin was taking offers back ond forth between Anaheim and Florida. It's a close knit community around the league and guys with big egos don't like to be screwed over. Lowe and the Oilers organization were one of the extreme hardline teams heading the CBA lockout and are known to be very difficult to deal with on contracts and some are saying that player agents are attempting a little payback in detering their UFA's from signing there. Horcoff was arguably the Oilers best forward and to offer him no more than a qualifying offer (basically means no raise for you) after last year is a bit of a slap in the face hence them going to arbitration. Maybe the locker room isn't as close knit as we were led to believe? I don't think the players universally loved Mac T. and many (I included) think that the Oilers got to the finals in spite of him but to re-sign the assistants (also ex-Oiler alumni) and not the head coach tells me that Lowe had Huddy or Simpson (the PP coach that can't coach a 5 on 3)pegged to be the next head coach as if they were going elswhere you let the new guy bring in his own guys. How will Mac T fare next year knowing if the Oilers tank that his replacement is standing right beside him?

It seems like working for the Oilers is akin to working for that big company that treats their employees like shit & doesn't want to pay market value. Is there any other explanation for the bizarre offseason?
    Last edited by heavyD; 07-05-2006 at 04:11 PM.

My Ride
    2013 Longhorn Ram

Im just waiting for the tell all book. Somethings definately up.

Originally posted by SKR
    You know what, I'm such a ricer. More form than function, oversized exhaust, Japanese engine, and if I put the tailgate down it kind of acts as much like a wing as the picnic table wings the fast and furious guys are bolting to their cars.

My Ride
    Lexus RX400h

i hate to say it but i am starting to feel the same way. WTF is going on in Edmonton?

My Ride
    '11 SWP Impreza

spacek left to buffalo today

I think something's up too. It does seem weird that a team that just makes it to the finals the way they did has so many players wanting to leave. After Calgary made their cup run, there were many players wanting to play here, including Hamrlik who took a paycut to play here. So something strange is abrewing inside the Oiler organization. Maybe its the coach, maybe its management, maybe its the cold winters, maybe its just that crummy of a city for a NHL player. I don't think we'll ever find out though.

My Ride
    X3 3.0, CLK500, FZR600

but lowe isnt a bad GM, based on his moves, he always made good trades and usually comes out on top in them. He built a team that was one win away from the cup, he's a good GM if not on of the top.
    Listen fam, she had a big rack of lamb
    And they caused mad problems like math exams
    Ask my man, her tits caused traffic jams

My Ride
    a red bullet shaped rocket

Originally posted by RiCE-DaDDy
    he's a good GM if not on of the top.
    Brian Burke owns the World.

My Ride
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX

When a few of the Edmonton players started mentioning they wouldn't be back I figured it was in part a leverage game they were playing in hopes of obtaining more money. But after seeing how many players are leaving Edmonton in the last couple of weeks something MUST be up.

Even Laraque left Edmonton.

Different than the Flames cause players like Donovan knew they wouldn't be back cause they wouldn't fit into Sutter's budget and needs but he still wanted to stay in Calgary. Same with the pick-up of McLennan. Dude is happy to be back in Calgary.

My Ride
    TOPLESS 64 IMPALA /2004 SALEEN S281 SC / 2007 Z06

well now the greasers have cap room to bring in a few good players but some players are gonna think twice about goin there after hearing about these players wanting out fuckin strange

My Ride
    a red bullet shaped rocket

Originally posted by Ajay

Even Laraque left Edmonton.

Different than the Flames cause players like Donovan knew they wouldn't be back cause they wouldn't fit into Sutter's budget and needs
    Laraque leaving Edmonton is surprising. I thought he would stay with that organization for awhile. That would be crazy if Ryan Smyth left after contract. He bleeds oil.

The Herald said Dovovan was very shocked when Calgary didnt even call to make an offer to him and he was sad because he wanted to stay with the organization.

My Ride
    2010 XFR, 2015 F-350

Laraque wanted to stay but the Oilers didn't want him. They let him go as he is too slow and doesn't fit into the organization. The new NHL doesn't really need guys that can fight all too much, and you have to be able to skate which Laraque can't.

Originally posted by RiCE-DaDDy
    He built a team that was one win away from the cup, he's a good GM if not on of the top.
    He also built a team that was built to win the cup last year and only last year. He traded away the future to get rental UFAs in Samsonov, Roloson, Spacek. They knew all year Peca wanted out, and there was speculation Lowe knew Pronger wanted out during the regular season. Pisani was a complete fluke imo, and if you add all that up, it equals a one year wonder. A good GM is one that builds a team that is good for years, and not just for 1 run.

On top of that, the only reason the Oilers even made the playoffs is due to the complete meltdown of the Canucks and Kings. If either of them managed to play .500 hockey in the last month of the season the Oil would be drafting in the top 14... that is if they didn't trade away their first rounder for Roloson.

My Ride
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX

Originally posted by USED1
    Laraque wanted to stay but the Oilers didn't want him. They let him go as he is too slow and doesn't fit into the organization. The new NHL doesn't really need guys that can fight all too much, and you have to be able to skate which Laraque can't.
    Yah Laraque did want to stay and he even said he would stay for less money than what Phoenix was offering him as long as Edmonton has a no trade clause with the new contract. Lowe didn't want to give him a no-trade clause.

Kind of a slap in the face for someone who has been loyal to the team. Granted it's a business and Laraque really isn't what they need anyway.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Originally posted by Ajay
    Kind of a slap in the face for someone who has been loyal to the team. Granted it's a business and Laraque really isn't what they need anyway.
    I think Kevin Lowe has made some good really good decisions as GM but I think loyalty goes a long way also. Daryl Sutter has 'his guys' and the thing is that his guys will always come to play for him again even at reduced prices. I don't think players that leave Edmonton feel the same way about Lowe. IMO he's not well liked across the league for the way he does business.

I'm not saying he should have kept Laraque as he really is a fringe type player with the new rules but with Kevin you get that feeling that he's the boss and not around to make friends. He publicly let it be known that Mac T was going to be the fall guy for not making the playoffs by re-signing the assistants and not the head coach. Things have to be a bit akward now between them. I'm not saying Daryl's a better GM but we have seen benefits from his close ties with former players & Kevin is never going to get that the way he treats players & other GM's.

Very interesting thoughts HeavyD. Good read.

nobody likes joey moss

My Ride
    NOTHING RIGHT NOW :(

Originally posted by Mr_John

The Herald said Dovovan was very shocked when Calgary didnt even call to make an offer to him and he was sad because he wanted to stay with the organization.

WAHT DONOVAN IS NOT COMING BACK HE IS ONE OF THE BEST PLAYERS.

Originally posted by gerrycurl21
    nobody likes joey moss
    Man...how could you comment about a guy with Down's Syndrome like that. Not even remotely funny.

Originally posted by AzN'SKillZ

ya...I'd say he's in the top 20 of the starting lineup...somewhere in there.

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

I think it was time for Donovan to go. He played great the year before and he played a big part in the playoff run. But this year, he was a big disappointment. Especially when the rule changes should've really benefited his game. 20 pts in 80 games is not productive by any stretch of the imagination for someone playing in his spot. He was really unproductive during this year's playoff run.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Ha Ha. He'll be spending the next season frustrating Bruins fans. I swear he's the incarnation of Paul Ranheim.