Quantcast
Is it a big problem traveling to the US without a passport? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it a big problem traveling to the US without a passport?

Default Is it a big problem traveling to the US without a passport?

I haven't been to the US in several years, and was wondering if someone has traveled there recently, who didn't have a passport. I've heard you don't HAVE to have one yet so how badly will I get hassled? Heading to Vegas in a few weeks.

My Ride
    MDX

Save yourself the problems and take one.

drivers license and birth certificate will be fine.

passport is ideal

Just got back. DL and BC are all they need until 2007 I believe. My DL got scratched up a bit and my last name can't really be read. I didn't get issues at all from US Customs, but when I came back the Canada Customs guy gave it a little more attention and was really surprised when I said the US guys didn't give me any problems.

But regardless, you can cross with just your birth certificate and a scratched up drivers license.

We just came back through Coutts and didn't have any issues. We only had picture ID, plain old Birth Certificates for the kids.

Kritafo

Driving is no hassle whatsoever.

Last time I went to vegas by air I only had my drivers licence, I thought i had my Birth Certificate but I left it at home accidentally. They backroomed me for a while and gave me a hard time but eventually let me through. Suckers!

Ah great, doesn't sound like it will be a problem then. I'll get my passport for next year for sure. I just don't want to go through the hasstle right now to get it, plus there's not much time left before I leave. Thanks for the info guys.

My Ride
    '10 RX350 & '08 e90 335i

Get the passport, especailly after the enhanced security, if you just can't get it dont even try without birthcert and DL.
    Autosignature

My Ride
    05 GDB V.8 / ZX10R / T1-7L

Originally posted by szw
    Driving is no hassle whatsoever.

Last time I went to vegas by air I only had my drivers licence, I thought i had my Birth Certificate but I left it at home accidentally. They backroomed me for a while and gave me a hard time but eventually let me through. Suckers!

how the heck did they let you on the plane with only a DL? thats unposible...

I would save the hassle and get the passport ,you can get Canadian passports pretty quick now. Just go down to the Henry Hase building by China Town.
    2011 Mercedes C63 AMG //2009 Mercedes C350 SOLD //2008 BMW 335i SOLD //2006 Mercedes C Sold// 2002 BMW M3 SOLD// 2004 Porsche C4S SOLD// 2006 Audi S4 SOLD// 2005 Audi 1.8T SS SOLD// 2004 Subaru STi SOLD// 1994 LHD Toyota Supra SOLD//1993 LHD Mazda RX-7 SOLD // 2002 Honda S2000 SC SOLD// 2004 Range Rover SOLD//

Originally posted by RickDaTuner

how the heck did they let you on the plane with only a DL? thats unposible...
    They were asking me all these questions in the backroom, and it sounded bad. They were like "you have a one way ticket to vegas, $100 in your pocket, no job, no house in calgary...why should we let you into the US?"

I said..."um, i just came back from Vegas a few weeks ago (driving across border)". They checked their records eventually just let me go!

Getting back into Canada was even easier! (this was approx 2 months ago)

My Ride
    VW Scirocco GT

I don't understand why people ask these questions.
    Save everyone the time and hassle and take your passport.
    Theres a reason why we have passports.

I have DL and birth cert. How long does it take to get a passport these days, someone I know mentioned around two weeks or you could put come sort of rush on it for more money. And the cost for PP is what, $80?

My Ride
    '10 RX350 & '08 e90 335i

^ A touch rude but well said...
    Autosignature

Originally posted by /////AMG
    I don't understand why people ask these questions.
    Save everyone the time and hassle and take your passport.
    Theres a reason why we have passports.
    I'm asking this question here because I want to hear from people that have actually been through it, and not getting info off the phone from some bonehead who may not know their ass from a hole in the ground. It takes time and is a hasstle to get it, plus the time which I may not have. I don't travel to the US much so if I can save myself the $80 or so then that's extra spending money.

My Ride
    VW Scirocco GT

Not really $80 spending money if you think you'll need to use a passport within the next 10 years.

I'm just saying though, not to you directly.
    I just don't get why people wouldn't.

Not really $80 spending money if you think you'll need to use a passport within the next 10 years.

One reason is that you may only want to carry your passport with you when you ABSOLUTELY need it. Never needed it to go back and forth between Canada and the US, so my preference would be to leave it at home. No sense risking losing it when you don't need to. Much easier to replace a drivers license.

Same reason I don't carry around my passport in Calgary, even though the dumbasses at Cowboys think I should.

It sure is $80 extra cause i'm not going to get one now. IF I did have one already then hell ya, I would take it.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Thats weirrrrd......I got denied entry into the USA, when I was tryin to go to San Fran for a vaca for some reason and I just had DL and BC......Canada Customs passed me through but US Customs denied me, took me to the room and asked me tons of questions then denied me...
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

^^^haha you must have looked like a badass or something

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast