Quantcast
Where is the honesty in todays worksite? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Where is the honesty in todays worksite?

My Ride
    Econo-box

Default Where is the honesty in todays worksite?

So, In the last 6 months I've been doing alot of schoolwork, and had 3 jobs which all lasted for under 3 days. Why? Honesty in the workplace is something hard to find these days.

Examples:

Powdercoating shop:
    I was told that I would be hanging and sanding parts, for 14/hr and working at my own pace.

Reality, I was in fact doing this, but there were 10 vats of acid used to dip the metal, and no safty vents at all. After 2 hours I was sick, black-snot and coughing.

Yesterdays job "forklifting":

So, I was hired on as a forklifter for a larger shipping company. I was promised forklift wage at 15/hr, 1 hour break for lunch and I would be working nights.

I go there at 10PM last night. I start, everyone seems nice, I meet the boss, and Immediatly I am stuck hauling boxes to make pallates- by hand. Not that bad of a job, but not what I applied for at all. And making 3 dollars less, in fact.

So I call the lady who hired me this morning. Told her what happened, she said that "leo" (the night manager that I talked to) didn't know I was forklifitng, when I asked someone ABOVE "leo" if there are any positions available for forklifting, and the immedaite answer was no.

She blatenly lied to my face on the phone, in person, and the again on the phone. Even after I told her I talked to the 2 highest people on nights, she insisted that there were numerous positions for forklifting. Funny, there were only 2 forklifts and there were over 20 pallate jacks.

What im trying to get to here... is... Where is the honesty any more? I remember when I applied for partsource, I got exactly what I applied for. It seems calgary is so desperate for work they have to lure you in with promise of a good job and then swiftly stick you on manual labour.

end rant.

Post your work related problems!
    Last edited by glennc; 08-29-2006 at 09:45 AM.

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

then why dont you stay at partsource?

My Ride
    Econo-box

It didn't work out after the year I was there.

Guess I shoulda put that in my first post.

My Ride
    Civic b18 swap soon to be boosted..., 3000gt wow..

With me it is all the bullshit, jobs aint bad until someone calls in sick or doesnt show up...then you are expected to do all of the work for yourself, then do all of the other guys shit......I work i a restaraunt, and it is bs, especially when the dishwashers pull a bitch and dont show up....

Originally posted by rage2
    Of course you agree with me. I'm a smart motherfucker, and I'm always right.

My Ride
    Econo-box

Its true. Everywhere is understaffed.

Partsource was great, til I was stuck on weekends with 1 other person.

9 Hours work, busiest days of the week and no break.

My Ride
    1988 T-Bird Sport

Sounds like retirement might be the only way you'll be satisfied, good luck with that.

My Ride
    toyota MR2

get a better education
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Yeah don't they pay like $14 an hour at Dairy Queen nowadays?

Do you not even have a high school diploma or something?
    Originally posted by maZda3
    so ima stop talkin cuz its not me thats emberasing myself but you...so yea pce

My Ride
    Econo-box

Im 17. Still in (online) school.

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

Originally posted by glennc
    Im 17. Still in (online) school.
    Online?

I don't mean to be an ass, but it sounds like you're looking for a cushy job that pays $15/hour, and you probably have to put in some manual labour to earn that much. You made it sound like you quit the warehouse job? I can understand quiting the powdercoating $15/hour isn't worth risking your health like that.

Last edited by kaput; 03-26-2019 at 07:31 PM.

My Ride
    09 GMC Sierra SLT

Agreed. You are only 17 and have barely touched the workplace. Sometimes you have to put with bullshit and the shit ass jobs to get the better paying more "cushy" jobs.

Suck it up princess and pay your dues like the rest of the world does.

My Ride
    Econo-box

I'm not looking for amazing pay at all really.

I just think its ridiculous that I was told 3 times I was doing something completly different then what I ended up doing.

I've touched the workplace quite a bit.

And yes, I did quit, it wasn't what I wanted. Id rather get paid 9 an hour to forklift then 13 an hour to move 1000lbs of boxes an hour.

When did this turn into a jobsearch for me? This whole thread is about understaffing/employers lying/unsafe work environments. AKA dishonest workplaces.

The bottom line is, I was told Id be working on machinery, and I got stuck on manual labour. I talked to the manager today and he said that this is the third complaint he has recieved about that. The hiring lady has to LIE to get workers.

Back on track, boys.
    Last edited by glennc; 08-29-2006 at 09:28 AM.

Originally posted by glennc
    Back on track, boys.
    Pretty cocky for a 17 year old, especially your involvement in the Ask Leo threads as of late.

Maybe, just maybe, they see a "17 year old" and want you to do the bitch jobs to prove yourself before you touch a forklift, etc.

Work your way up, and don't complain about any job, as there are others who wish they had as much as you do!

My Ride
    Econo-box

Please, don't turn my thread in to a bash. It was a figure of speech.

BTW, Im certified on a forklift and I have experince driving bobcats and heavy machinery.

Again, this was SUPPOSED to be a thread for people to post their workplace experiences and problems. But low and behold, it's been turned negative.

Originally posted by kaput
    Buddy if your 17 either you haven't even graduated high school or else you just finished. You don't have the skills or experience to expect any more than your getting from an employer. You should be glad they're paying that much for you to do anything at all. You're right to leave the acid job but how do you know they aren't feeling you out at the other job or jobs before giving you some responsibility? You gave it one shift and decided you were too good for it and came on here to bitch and moan about why uneducated kids get pushed around in the workplace. You failed the test. Read the thread about young people having a sense of entitlement and then consider if you've accomplished enough to really expect more.
    It was just the fact I was told I would be forklifting, and trust me, I have experience with it. IAPA certified, heavy duty machinery experience.
    Last edited by glennc; 08-29-2006 at 09:38 AM.

My Ride
    09 GMC Sierra SLT

We are giving our advice. We are telling you that we have all started out at the bottom of the ladder at some point. When I was 17.......I worked at McD's making $5/hr. So to sit on here and complain that $12 or $13 and hour is too low.........yeah.........good try.

My Ride
    Econo-box

I started at Mcdicks at 14, so try again on that one.

Its not that I decided I was TOO GOOD. I was told I would be doing forklifting. After talking to the manager of nights he said there are no spots available, 2 forklifts, both in use with full time people.

There is no responsability to be had in a job like that, there was literally, no way for me to progress. The hiring lady lied to me, and once I found out the truth that there are, and wont be spots available for me I just said F it.

I understand your offering advice, advice wasn't really what I was looking for. I was looking to start a thread of other peoples work related stuff.

My Ride
    Ford F-150

One of my bad experiences was when I was about 16 I applied at Superstore they told me they would hire me as a rollerblader so I thought ya for sure sounds pretty good. So I got their the next day pretty pumped about it and I was given a fucking Janitor suite. To keep a long story short I had to pick up fucking garbage from everywhere out of garbages, clean wasrooms, and was told to pick up the used tampon on the ground with gloves, after that I quite within a day. FUCK THEM

But honestly we all have had shitty ass jobs working for gas stations or fast food or some shit, you gotta start off somewhere and work your way up!!!

It must be nice to quit a job on a whim. Must have someone else there to hand you money for bills.

IF i am lucky to get hired onto a job it doesn't matter what the work is, a job is a job.

My Ride
    POS

I've worked a ton of different jobs and it's very normal so that they can lure you in and be the gopher for the first while. Not to say that you won't eventually do what they promised, but just think of it the other way around. If you were working at a place for a few years and a newbie comes in, I don't think you'll sit there and manually move pallets and let the newbie drive the forklift, at least not for the first few days. It's very normal and just take it as learnning experience. Even in the corporate world it's all the same, they just dress different and have more stuck up attitudes.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast