Quantcast
Protecting Canadian information - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Protecting Canadian information

Default This is good

Good Morning .

Just found this nugget , and thought I'd share :

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl.../National/home

Cliff note :

Our Canadian universities have been using a U.S. database server to store there stuff ( research papers , etc .) but since the Patriot Act , they have now moved to a secure Canadian server in Ontario . Basically , they don't trust the US system anymore ( possible US government peering eyes ) and have distanced themselves from it .

My question to you though , is how safe is it really ? I'm not too computer net savvy , but can it really be possible to have a totally secure network only within our country ?

Either way though , the actions alone speaks volumes , and it's just a little something I'd like to share .

Cheers

It's never safe.. but at least we have some control over it whereas if its in America, it could be seized for whatever reason.

Originally posted by FishPoo
    It's never safe.. but at least we have some control over it whereas if its in America, it could be seized for whatever reason.

But really , what control do we have over a virtual net that is what , US concieved , based and controlled ? Are the universities just wishful thinking ? Can't their information still be hacked into or captured somehow ? Under the US Patriot Act and the US being in a war right now , all the world of the internet is fair game to them . They will do whatever is necessary , right ? Laws have been thrown our the door at the highest level , although all looks pleasant and their population just goes along for a ride ( think D'oh , lol )
    Anyway , my question I guess would be , how hard would it still be for some top US military/national security computer whizz to still get that information ? Does it really matter that they've now set up a server in Ontario ?

Also , thanks to whomever changed my title of this thread . I suppose it was weak and not very focused ( it's still early for me ) , and for shortening my link . To be honest , it did kind of freak me out a bit to be editted . This type of stuff , power , on forums can be so .... wierd ? Like I said before , I'm not computer savvy , and I do wonder about if Blogs work the same too ? Can they be editted ? I've never been on one before , and I probably never will . Just wondering .

Cheers

Many internet connections to Canadian sites pass through the USA anyways. If the USA wants to peek, they can do it then.

If it flies through the internet its fair game to anyone... Nothing is really safe unless you have it disconnected from the net and you are the only one to access it.

Then again that doesnt save you from someone robbing your place and physically taking the data.

This day in age nothing is really safe.

Originally posted by barbarian
    Many internet connections to Canadian sites pass through the USA anyways. If the USA wants to peek, they can do it then.
    Here are several interesting links where AT&T and the US government have been using traffic-analysis software to take a peek.

http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,70910-0.html

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2006/4/8/14724/28476/

http://www.salon.com/news/feature/20...nsa/index.html

Not only is it on internet traffic going through AT&T, but also for phone calls.

--forced
    Last edited by forced14; 11-13-2006 at 04:46 PM.