Quantcast
Windows Vista RTM - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Windows Vista RTM

Default Windows Vista RTM

Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use before posting again, or risk getting banned).
    Last edited by Xaroxantu Zero; 11-12-2006 at 12:42 PM.

My Ride
    B8 A4/MKV GTI

DLing right now from OINK... going to install on my spare machine first. Ill post back here once everything is up and running... should be later this afternoon.

My Ride
    cars

fire it up!! she's purty! Try it with Office 07, it'll change the way you use E-mail.

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

Any different from RC2?
    Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

My Ride
    2011 Audi TTs

what kind of minimum specs would u guys say vista requires? is it worth the upgrade from xp?

My Ride
    B8 A4/MKV GTI

It runs really fast on my laptop... Im liking it so far.

My Ride
    FA20

rtm?

My Ride
    49cc Honda bicycle/89 Accord SE-i/59 Impala/93shaq

release to manufacturer

My Ride
    FA20

ahhh, thx!

My Ride
    Audi

Basically it is the date when system builders can download it and do builds for it for their systems. It allows system builders to make sure their systems are ready to roll on the launch date - however they can not sell any systems with the builds on there until then.

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

This is the first time I have heard anybody say 'runs great on a laptop'. Let's just say about 5000 people are really disappointed with how it runs.

I run RC2 on 3 computers, 2 desktops and 1 laptop. Both desktops are 2.5GHz+ with 1GB+ of ram. My laptop on the other hand is 1.3GHz centrino with 512mb of ram. The 2 desktops are useable, although not fast, and my laptop is absolutely unusable with it. I cannot believe how much slower they made windows.
    My advice to everybody is that unless you feel a desire to be on the bleeding edge of things, and absolutely must have the few new cool toys they put in Vista, stay the heck away from it. It is a serious memory/processor/HD hog, and is not worth it. Besides, if you are that intent on being on the bleeding edge, you should be running linux where the latest releases of most packages are out on a daily basis.

Before you question my experience, my job is to offer tech support to windows XP/vista users, so I've had to deal with just a few very unhappy people.
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

My Ride
    B8 A4/MKV GTI

runs great for me...

1.86 Centrino
    2GB RAM
    128MB Video

Im going to run it on my laptop for a few weeks before I install it on my home PC...

is it possible to install this and keep xp? just make another partition or something

You can install Vista on another partition. I just installed it on another hard drive.

My Ride
    09 wrx265

so tempted right now...will try it later.

is there anyway to disable Vista edit my MBR.
    Im using GRUB and want to keep it that way.

^^^ yea i would also like to know how to install it over linux and xp .. i have grub installed too ... i dont even need linux anymore

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

Simplest solution, make a linux boot CD/disk, and re-run grub once Vista is installed.
    Less simple solution - I'll check the knowledge base when I'm at work.

For those who say it runs great... do some kind of head-to-head comparison. Disable all of the bells and whistles, then run an application that ran slowly before. Watch how much slower it goes.
    Microsoft was originally claiming that Vista would be more efficient than XP. Notice how they no longer claim that?....

Look at how much RAM windows uses just sitting idle, look at your CPU usage. Watch the frequent HD activity (yes XP does create a lot of HD activity, but vista creates 2-3x as much)
    For those of us with laptops, imagine what this will do to your battery life.....

My Ride
    Audi

One of the things Vista does is indexes files for easy searching when the system is idle... it runs a fair amount of things that you'd try to avoid running when the system is in use.

If you've tried searching things come up a hell of a lot faster because it tries to index as much as you tell it to when the system is iding. I'm sure it's one of the many things that can easily be turned off. Maybe they'll open up the OS a bit and allow an AV scanner to run when the system is idle instead of during scheduled (and sometimes annoying) times.

I think Microsoft's point of view in the sense that a lot of systems now a days have a lot of power and the OS might as well take advantage of that to make the interface/visual experience a lot more appealing has a good point (as far as ease of use). That said, i'd like the ability to turn all that eye candy off if i don't like it and increase system performance (ie: when i'm playing games).

The part that really bugs me is the forced move to Vista they are going to start doing to everyone mid next year. I like XP, my machine is MORE then capable of running Vista but there are many people out there who won't be able to afford the upgrades required to make the move.

My Ride
    FA20

hey i installed RC2 a while back but I dont know how to make the windows appear 3d, as in looking at them at an angle. Anyone know?

If you're referring to Flip 3D, use CTRL+Windows Key+Tab. It's basically ALT+TAB with 3D effects.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast