Quantcast
PS3! Is it worth it? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: PS3! Is it worth it?

My Ride
    DC2 SIR-G, EF CX

Default PS3! Is it worth it?

Has anybody on here actually got a Ps3 and kept it instead of selling it for twice what they payed for it. If there is tell us what your first impressions are and if its really worth the 200 extra bucks. I have a PS2 right now and I wanted to hold out till both PS3 and the 360 were out before I chose wich one I would go with. I have looked around on gamespot.com so far and things arent looking too good for the ps3 and all the gamers on the forums there have come up with some good points. I dont know a hell of a lot about the techinical stuff but they were saying that the 360 will be better for actual gaming wich is all i would use it for. Now if people could give some veiws or places I could find some more info on to wich one to go with that would be cool
    I heart my Hondas!!!

My Ride
    99 JDM DC4

Man...Just want like a year or so...by then the PS3 will drop down to like $200.

Remember when the PS2 first came out? Shiet...it was also $600....now look at it.....

So I say defintely NOT WORTH IT!

dude, ps2 waited 3 years to drop the price.
    And guess what, PS3 will not drop the price for at least 3 years.
    Go check the news, the actual cost to build a PS3 is over 800 bucks. They sell it and it worths it.
    PS2 is good, and yes, I would buy a PS2 and wait for another 6 months to actually get my first ps3.
    For the ppl don't wanna wait and spend 2 days outside, the price is reasonable.
    Simple supply and demand. You pay more to get it first, and you enjoy more than ppl who get it late.

frostyda9 Guest

Decide whether GT5 or Halo 3 is more important to you, and pick the system that supports your game of choice.

My Ride
    TSX

Originally posted by bingliusmart

Go check the news, the actual cost to build a PS3 is over 800 bucks. They sell it and it worths it.
    That is the stupidest shiet i've ever heard. Are you stupid? If the PS3 cost over 800 bucks to build, they wouldn't be selling it for only $660 now would they? Think about it, who makes something to sell for less and lose profit.

They sell for loss for gaming consoles. DUDE, read the news and call yourself a stupid! Go to college and learn some econ plz!
    Gimme a break.
    They sell systems less, and earn the profit from games.
    Here is the link, see if you can read or not~~~

http://www.fin24.co.za/articles/comp...8-1783_2033108

My Ride
    a nice pair of and1's

They sell for loss for gaming consoles. DUDE, read the news and call yourself a stupid! Go to college and learn some econ plz!
    Gimme a break.

and actually i believe out of the 3 next gen systems only the wii is making profits on it's console.

My Ride
    Legacy Spec B

ya. from the specs it looks like the wii should be at least breaking even on their console. Sony was already losing money when the PS2 came out at $450. i'm just hoping for a decent PS3 bundle or like a 100 dollar price drop to come out before i look at getting one

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

360 is breaking just about even now, but the PS3 is selling at a massive loss. It costs, right now, over $1000 to build one. Those prices will come down a bit once they streamline the construction process and get better (read: more reliable) cores out. The Wii is built for about $250 canadian, on the other hand, and is selling at $279. Nintendo, as always, is on the ball and making a profit

But of the two big swingers for the "next gen"... I honestly think the 360 is the better console. Hence why I bought one instead of holding out for a PS3, and man am I glad I did. Gears of War, PGR3, GRAW, Rainbow Six Vegas... I could go on, but it's just one HELL of a console

And yes, it does actual gaming very very well.
    Geek

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Originally posted by Vagabond142

But of the two big swingers for the "next gen"... I honestly think the 360 is the better console. Hence why I bought one instead of holding out for a PS3, and man am I glad I did. Gears of War, PGR3, GRAW, Rainbow Six Vegas... I could go on, but it's just one HELL of a console
    And many more AAA titles on the way for 2007.

Gimme a break.

very true

My Ride
    2002 Toyota Corolla

Originally posted by Speed_69

That is the stupidest shiet i've ever heard. Are you stupid? If the PS3 cost over 800 bucks to build, they wouldn't be selling it for only $660 now would they? Think about it, who makes something to sell for less and lose profit.
    i bet you feel kinda stupid now eh...

Being a video game developer (I develop for both, Playstation 3 and XBOX 360) people ask me almost daily which platform I think is better. These are my personal feelings, in no way does this reflect my employer.

Performance: On paper, the PS3 is more powerful. In reality, it's quite inferior to the 360. Without getting into too many details, the three general-purpose CPU's the xbox360 has are currently FAR easier to take advantage of than the SPU's on the PS3. I suspect a few years down the road some high budget, first party PS3 exclusive titles will come out that really take advantage of the SPU's and do things the XBOX 360 can't, but I don't think the console is worth buying based on this speculation (for some it will be though, we'll have to wait and see how these games turn out).

Graphics: The XBOX 360 is a clear winner. The GPU is more powerful. It has more powerful fillrate, and far more pixel and vertex processing horsepower. Part of the reason is their choice of memory, and architecture of pixel and vertex procesing. I can't get into details but the same vertex shader will run much slower on the PS3 than the XBOX 360. The 360 also has a clever new way rendering high definition anti aliased back buffers. To accomplish the same effect on PS3 is prohibitively expensive. For this reason I think many games will have no choice but to run in non-HD resolutions on the PS3 version, use a lower quality anti aliasing technique, or do back buffer upscaling. The end result in all cases is going to be noticeably worse image quality.
    http://www.hardcoreware.net/reviews/review-348-1.htm

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Gimme a break.

take it easy man, you just got to remember that a lot of the member on this board have not yet reached puberty haha.

That dude must feel like a total tool now

My Ride
    DC2 SIR-G, EF CX

Originally posted by frostyda9
    Decide whether GT5 or Halo 3 is more important to you, and pick the system that supports your game of choice.
    Actually on gamespot microsoft announced that since Sony took so long to launch they offered Rockstar and I think its ubisoft the developer for assassins creed an offer they couldn't refuse. so GT5 and assassins creed will launch on the 360 as well as the ps3 so thats something else i have to think about. Is there any package deals right now for the 360?
    http://www.gamespot.com/news/6162084...stnews;title;1
    I heart my Hondas!!!

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Last week (on the 17th) you could go in-store and buy a 360 with an extra controller (IIRC), plus PGR3, plus Gears of War, all for $449.99 It was a one day deal though.

My Ride
    ‘13 F30 Sportline

soooo for the people that are actually playing it, how is it??

My Ride
    04 EP3'

the Nintendo Wii kills all
    i've got a wii and a ps3
    only resistance is good on ps3
    all the rest of the launch titles suck

zelda is possibly the best game i have ever played
    the physics and concept is amazing

frostyda9 Guest

Originally posted by Teggy2nr
    Actually on gamespot microsoft announced that since Sony took so long to launch they offered Rockstar and I think its ubisoft the developer for assassins creed an offer they couldn't refuse. so GT5 and assassins creed will launch on the 360 as well as the ps3 so thats something else i have to think about. Is there any package deals right now for the 360?
    http://www.gamespot.com/news/6162084...stnews;title;1
    That is interesting. However, GT5 will never, ever be released for 360, I promise. GTA4 isn't surprising, since that series is already fully cross-platform.
    Last edited by frostyda9; 11-20-2006 at 11:36 PM.