Quantcast
what will a strut bar do for me? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: what will a strut bar do for me?

My Ride
    97 Ls/Vtec ..95 Pathfinder

Default what will a strut bar do for me?

i do not have one, and was curious on how big of a difference it makes. should i get one? should i not bother?
    A$$

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

Travel

I would definitely get a front strut bar. It will stiffen up the front. It basically is a bar that goes between your struts 9hence the name) and keeps them from their tendency to lean towards each other when you are turning.

This car of yours is just costing you more and more money every day isn't it? I swear this hobby of ours is more addicting that crack cocaine.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    ACR/EG/FJZ80/DC4/DC2/22RE

Depends - Front or rear; what type of vehical ;what you are trying to achieve?

Many times a Frt Strut brace is not needed due to the design of the vehical other than asthetics.

My Ride
    Grand Am GT 99

your lude should do just fine with out it

unless you want to take so fast turns

My Ride
    97 Ls/Vtec ..95 Pathfinder

i noticed its a bit shaky going 140 around cornors lol

b18c you pay for your crack cocaine? lol j/kok delete this ill read the other thread..

its fun to just get more stuff for it.............i want to replace the intake...
    A$$

My Ride
    07 Mazdaspeed 6, 89 Mustang LX

A strut bar might not make much of a difference, depending on how stiff the car's chassis is to begin with, and where the strut towers are in relation the firewall (for a front bar, at any rate). Come out to a solo 2 without the bar and see what happens, then run a solo 2 with a bar. Thats about the only time you'll be cornering hard enough it will make a noticable difference.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by 4wheeldrift
    Come out to a solo 2 without the bar and see what happens, then run a solo 2 with a bar. Thats about the only time you'll be cornering hard enough it will make a noticable difference.
    I know of many other times where I've been able to corner hard enough to see a difference...
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

A very tangible benefit of a Strut-bar (or any other reinforcing 'brace') is the fact that it holds your suspension pieces together in a more solid way. This adds to the life of your suspension, and helps reduce wear on tons of your cars components.

It helps your car maintain the 'tight' feel it *should* have from the factory, and also improves handling in 'enthusiast' situations (certainly not in normal driving).

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

yes, its good for motor mounts and your bushings so I think they are woth the couple hundred bucks...It made a huge difference in my car, and I already had a bunch of other junk...
    Travel

My Ride
    Integra Type R

Originally posted by speedracer
    Depends - Front or rear; what type of vehical ;what you are trying to achieve?

Many times a Frt Strut brace is not needed due to the design of the vehical other than asthetics.
    uh? for any performance enthusiast I think it's a cheap upgrade to get yourself a better handling car for sure...

My Ride

Originally posted by The Raptor

uh? for any performance enthusiast I think it's a cheap upgrade to get yourself a better handling car for sure...
    Not always. A brace doesn't neccessary enhance a vehicals suspension - handling. As pointed out by other post. It could be just added weight

Research should always be done before changing the suspension geometry. You never want to be surprised when turning.

For example my car has NO need for an upper brace. However, that doesn't stop companies from making one and telling every Joe out there that it will stiffen the chassis. The frame will not twist unless there is an impact.

i didn't notice much improvement when i put a front strut brace on. does feel stiffer going through the corners... doesn't make that much difference. more for show i guess.

My Ride
    Integra Type R

Not always. A brace doesn't neccessary enhance a vehicals suspension - handling. As pointed out by other post. It could be just added weight

Research should always be done before changing the suspension geometry. You never want to be surprised when turning.

For example my car has NO need for an upper brace. However, that doesn't stop companies from making one and telling every Joe out there that it will stiffen the chassis. The frame will not twist unless there is an impact.
    No, I beg to differ. If you get an upper strut brace and you don't drive hard, then hey, I guess you just have the added bonus that when you do corner hard, your car will corner better then if you didn't have one. But if you just drive normal you won't reap the benefits, but it still enhances your cornering ability when you need it.

Whether your car needs one or not I couldn't say. But if you're looking to "enhance" your suspension, I still say that a strut brace is a cheap way to get a bit more out of your suspension.

I'm curious why you say you would be "surprised" when you are turning with a strut brace installed?

My Ride

No, I beg to differ. If you get an upper strut brace and you don't drive hard, then hey, I guess you just have the added bonus that when you do corner hard, ......
    It may not fit the application of all vehicals.

I'm curious why you say you would be "surprised" when you are turning with a strut brace installed?
    Any suspension changes should be looked at with great care. Too often on the track someone comes along with a hot suspension idea and bang they are the first one to kiss a wall becasue the car no longer handled the way it did before. (This has even happened recently) That is all I'm saying.

My Ride
    Integra Type R

It may not fit the application of all vehicals.

Any suspension changes should be looked at with great care. Too often on the track someone comes along with a hot suspension idea and bang they are the first one to kiss a wall becasue the car no longer handled the way it did before. (This has even happened recently) That is all I'm saying.
    LOL, well if they get the wrong application all I can say is "SUKS TO BE U"!

and like any new mods you put on, it's just common sense that you slowly take it up to the limit and that way you'll have a good idea of where they are. If you put a strut on and think you'll be able to go from cornering at 60kph to 140kph....then I guess it's just too bad for you when you hit the wall....LOL..

It's just commen sense....

My Ride

Originally posted by 2000impreza
    i didn't notice much improvement when i put a front strut brace on. does feel stiffer going through the corners... doesn't make that much difference. more for show i guess.
    THe impreza's don't benefit much from a front bar, because the towers are already so close to the firewall. Now a rear bar

Originally posted by 4wheeldrift

THe impreza's don't benefit much from a front bar, because the towers are already so close to the firewall. Now a rear bar
    so a rear bar actually does something? maybe i'll look into rear strut bar i guess. hehe. the front strut bar sure does look cool.

My Ride
    1999 Impreza hybrid CLOSED DECK!

i only got a rear bar... hehe.. and a lower tie bar and a sway bar.. and..

My Ride

Originally posted by 2000impreza

so a rear bar actually does something? maybe i'll look into rear strut bar i guess. hehe. the front strut bar sure does look cool.
    yeah, the chrome bar under the hood looks cool as all hell, but its not terribly useful (it does help a bit). The rear bar made a noticable difference for solo 2 and track use, back end stays planted much better.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast