Quantcast
Windows Vista, the untold story....Makes me angry - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Windows Vista, the untold story....Makes me angry

My Ride
    22 ZR2, 06 YZ250, 77 KZ1000 supercharged

Default Windows Vista, the untold story....Makes me angry

Here is a good article on understanding some of the things that vista is going to impose on you!

I would like to also mention that windoes Vista at bootup will use 700-750meg of memory. Currently an xp machine uses around 200-300, and a gig or 2 of swap file on your hard drive. To run vista you will need 2 gig minimum of memory. Most machines these days have 1-2 gig.

A good read. Be warned it will make upset. Due to vista's strictness with hardware, your PC hardware costs will increase and have more tecnical difficulties!

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/juha/1908

My Ride

Default Re: Windows Vista, the untold story....Makes me angry

Originally posted by Hollywood
    Here is a good article on understanding some of the things that vista is going to impose on you!

I would like to also mention that windoes Vista at bootup will use 700-750meg of memory. Currently an xp machine uses around 200-300, and a gig or 2 of swap file on your hard drive. To run vista you will need 2 gig minimum of memory. Most machines these days have 1-2 gig.

A good read. Be warned it will make upset. Due to vista's strictness with hardware, your PC hardware costs will increase and have more tecnical difficulties!

and? who cares if vista requires more ram, name one new OS that had lower requirements than the last? Also, name one version of windows that lasted longer than XP... none... we're due for a new one already. Everyone knows how anal bill gates is with content protection and software piracy.. besides it wont take long before there is a registry hack or patch made by someone to fix those problems..

also, they're talking about protected content.. most music or video's you download off the net already have the protection removed, so you'll be fine.
    Click here to check out my racing sim...

Originally posted by GQBalla
    tictactoe2004 you are scary

My Ride

Default Re: Re: Windows Vista, the untold story....Makes me angry

Originally posted by tictactoe2004

and? who cares if vista requires more ram, name one new OS that had lower requirements than the last? Also, name one version of windows that lasted longer than XP... none... we're due for a new one already. Everyone knows how anal bill gates is with content protection and software piracy.. besides it wont take long before there is a registry hack or patch made by someone to fix those problems..

also, they're talking about protected content.. most music or video's you download off the net already have the protection removed, so you'll be fine.
    Your one of them!!!!!!!

My Ride
    Audi

simple solution... if everyone is so afraid of Vista then don't purchase it. No one is forcing an upgrade. There are still many machines out there running Win95.

In the computer industry, you have to pay to be up to be on the leading edge.

Hardcore gamers will be the first guys out there running windows ultimate so they can take advantage of dx10 w/ their dx10 cards and almost non existant games for it
    Last edited by hampstor; 01-02-2007 at 08:30 PM.

im on vista right now

this laptop only has 1.5 gb of memory and its rock stable.

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

So, if Vista requires 750MB of ram, how is it that I have 1GB on this computer, and 645mb free?

Oh, to run vista you need 384MB minimum, NOT 2GB.

You can trash Vista all you like, the solution is just don't upgrade.
    Eventually all of the windows products will only be Vista compatible, then who's laughing?
    Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

My Ride

Default Re: Windows Vista, the untold story....Makes me angry

i also forgot to mention... look at memory prices over the last few years... When I built my 486 ram prices were about 125 PER MEG, it was $500 for 4MB ram... now, if ram were still that pricey then we'd have a problem...

Also, look at system prices, You can buy a brand new laptop with 2GB ram and a dual core proc. for right around the thousand dollar mark (and its not even an acer).

My Ride
    FAT tires

Interesting read... looks like bill gates is trying to take over the world yet again... Just one more reason yo buy a MAC

My Ride

Ahhh the heat I love my threads. Let me get to these points.

im on vista right now

this laptop only has 1.5 gb of memory and its rock stable.
    Stability was not in question with lower memory, optimum performance is.

Originally posted by hampstor
    simple solution... if everyone is so afraid of Vista then don't purchase it. No one is forcing an upgrade. There are still many machines out there running Win95.

In the computer industry, you have to pay to be up to be on the leading edge.

Hardcore gamers will be the first guys out there running windows ultimate so they can take advantage of dx10 w/ their dx10 cards and almost non existant games for it
    Hampstor, hampstor, hampstor. You of all people should know better considering where you work.

Fear in upgrading to vista is not the issue my good man, you've got it wrong. It's all about control. Control over personal choices. I choose not to be monitored by an operating system. I choose that the hardware components I buy for my PC's in the future are not raised in price to meet microsofts evil EXTRA CODING attempts to disable functions of my hardware. I choose not to have to fix my father in laws PC due a power glitch enable the code in the hardware to disable his dvd-rom.

And the forcing is already started. XP no directX 10. Vista, directX 10. If you want directX 10 u need vista. You cant honesty say to yourself that microsoft could'nt have programed directX 10 for XP as well as Vista....

And do be so sure about the games not comming with dx10. Sony & Microsoft are launching Vanguard, a game similair to their Everquest series (The biggest massive multiplayer game series to date). Vanguard is scheduled to be released end of this month with dx10 support. People with dx10 will have 4 times the zone distance in that game as well as some other features.

Originally posted by frostyda9

Microsoft will. Every OEM computer is going to come with Vista in the near future. Hardware and software companies primary focus will be Vista. XP will become a legacy product, and eventually be terminated. Same as every other generational OS before XP has. There may still be people using Win95 today, but they are very limited in applications, and they don't have any support from Microsoft. Not exactly practical, and those people probably only account for a fractional percentage point of the North American market.

Bottom line.

Have to have 2 gig minimum. Fine by me.

Pay for a new windows version. Fine again.

Force me to use a 64 bit OS. Hey if it works better why not, 32 bit has been around too long anyway.

Disable of hardware both intentional and unintentional...Um fuck that.

Force me to use vista for dx10. Um... suck my balls on that one too.

Pay more for my hardware so they can be compliant with these crazy and outrageous code requirements to be put on my hardware to disable hardware functionality.....does vista come with a giant jar of vasoline too???

My Ride
    Audi

Hampstor, hampstor, hampstor. You of all people should know better considering where you work.

Fear in upgrading to vista is not the issue my good man, you've got it wrong. It's all about control. Control over personal choices. I choose not to be monitored by an operating system. I choose that the hardware components I buy for my PC's in the future are not raised in price to meet microsofts evil EXTRA CODING attempts to disable functions of my hardware. I choose not to have to fix my father in laws PC due a power glitch enable the code in the hardware to disable his dvd-rom.

And the forcing is already started. XP no directX 10. Vista, directX 10. If you want directX 10 u need vista. You cant honesty say to yourself that microsoft could'nt have programed directX 10 for XP as well as Vista....

And do be so sure about the games not comming with dx10. Sony & Microsoft are launching Vanguard, a game similair to their Everquest series (The biggest massive multiplayer game series to date). Vanguard is scheduled to be released end of this month with dx10 support. People with dx10 will have 4 times the zone distance in that game as well as some other features.
    I know more about this then most people about this I've been keeping updated on Vista (before it was even called Vista) since I first saw it running September 2005. I've also had to deal with the backend work with making sure the Express Upgrade program goes smoothly.

I wish I tell you more about it but I can't due to an NDA that I signed.

I do not doubt how annoyed I was to find out dx10 was Vista only - however I am not overly concerned about this. I'll also make a suggestion for the first service pack to make sure they give ship out a bottle of KY as well
    Last edited by hampstor; 01-03-2007 at 02:12 AM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?threadid=159076

I've already went thru that document and explained all the fear mongering going on with Vista and WHY Vista was designed the way it is.

I still don't get why ppl are blaming Microsoft. It's not Microsoft that wants DRM. It's the industry. Microsoft is just pushing forward with an OS that the industry (content industry, such as itunes, movie studios etc) wants.

BTW - My Vista Ultimate installation, with media center loaded at startup, boots up using 480MB of RAM. Turn off Media Center and it uses 380MB. Dunno where your 750MB comes from.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    02 Accord

I'm fired up. I really dont like any of the facts stated above, and yes it took me about an hour yesterday to read through the entire official article. The thing that fires me most is the fact that you can only install it a certain amount of times, I think its like 2 - 3 times. I had 3 viruses on my computer within the last month, making me format my comp about 4 times over the christmas break. If I'm gonna spend $400 bucks on a fucking OS, only to be able to install it twice, thats a bunch of BS.. I'll be making sure to return the product after every CD is no longer installable. Bill Gates is so fucking greedy. a big fuck you to you, you nerdy mother fucker. I guess it doesn't help to wake up to a wife that looks like a man every morning.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by EnRich
    I'm fired up. I really dont like any of the facts stated above, and yes it took me about an hour yesterday to read through the entire official article.
    "The facts" you're referring to are exaggerated. Remember, only when playing PREMIUM CONTENT (ie HD-DVD, Blu-Ray, etc) will this really affect you. So even if a driver's revoked, everything will work perfectly fine, except content that required updated drivers for DRM. Games will work just fine.

The thing that fires me most is the fact that you can only install it a certain amount of times, I think its like 2 - 3 times. I had 3 viruses on my computer within the last month, making me format my comp about 4 times over the christmas break. If I'm gonna spend $400 bucks on a fucking OS, only to be able to install it twice, thats a bunch of BS.. I'll be making sure to return the product after every CD is no longer installable.
    Where the hell did you read this?

Bill Gates is so fucking greedy. a big fuck you to you, you nerdy mother fucker. I guess it doesn't help to wake up to a wife that looks like a man every morning.
    And again kids... I still see people blaming Microsoft and Bill Gates for Vista'a DRM archetecture... it's not Microsoft pushing for this. They have publically stated that DRM is nothing but a hinderance and does nothing but cause trouble. It's content providers that's pushing for this. So if there's anyone to blame, I'd start with the movie studios.

All Microsoft is doing is following what the content providers want in order for their OS to support next gen DRM protected content.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

I'm fired up. I really dont like any of the facts stated above, and yes it took me about an hour yesterday to read through the entire official article. The thing that fires me most is the fact that you can only install it a certain amount of times, I think its like 2 - 3 times. I had 3 viruses on my computer within the last month, making me format my comp about 4 times over the christmas break. If I'm gonna spend $400 bucks on a fucking OS, only to be able to install it twice, thats a bunch of BS.. I'll be making sure to return the product after every CD is no longer installable. Bill Gates is so fucking greedy. a big fuck you to you, you nerdy mother fucker. I guess it doesn't help to wake up to a wife that looks like a man every morning.
    I love how you've gotten angry over a "fact" that even isn't true. Quit being a dumbass and think about the logic behind it, okay, and then m ake a post.

And I highly doubt your little comment about his wife makes him give a fuck, especially considering he could buy you. Why don't you just calm down a bit sparky and get the actual facts

My Ride

Bill Gates is so fucking greedy. a big fuck you to you, you nerdy mother fucker. I guess it doesn't help to wake up to a wife that looks like a man every morning.
    Bill Gates deserves every cent he has made... people laughed at him when he decided to not get into hardware and go straight into software.. He said software is where it's gonna be at, he invested his whole life into a company and it made it huge.. good for him

Today the only real reason that people need computers is the internet.. surfing, sending e-mails, forums like this... thats it... for all the people who are SOOOOOOOOOOO worried about vista, keep your palm pilot's and throw away your computers.. problem solved. You don't need computers to surf the net anymore.

My Ride
    6.7 CUMMINS, E50 AMG

Originally posted by rage2
    [B]http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?threadid=159076

I've already went thru that document and explained all the fear mongering going on with Vista and WHY Vista was designed the way it is.

you guys must live in another dimension where days have 40 hours instead of 24

Originally posted by tsi_neal
    Interesting read... looks like bill gates is trying to take over the world yet again... Just one more reason yo buy a MAC
    you probably dont know that microsoft owns 40% of Apple then...

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Default Re: Re: Windows Vista, the untold story....Makes me angry

Originally posted by tictactoe2004

its not that he's anal, its that paramount, wb, sony, could all take him to court for aiding and abbeding copy right infrignment if he didnt try and put DRM in his software, at least now he has deniability. 99.9% of pirating I bet is on windows based machines, where as a few are on Macs and some people on linux
    Cos...

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Originally posted by legendboy

you guys must live in another dimension where days have 40 hours instead of 24
    I think that they just don't sleep...

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by benyl
    I think that they just don't sleep...
    Nah... I just find time to read random shit when I'm waiting for my turn on guitar hero!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast