Quantcast
Do I need to get a police report? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Do I need to get a police report?

My Ride
    old Toyotas

Default Do I need to get a police report?

Last friday I was coming up on a yellow light so I stepped on the pedal and didn't see the ice on the road so while turning I hit the curb and the front right side of my car got damaged.
    Not too badly. Couldn't gotten a lot worse.

Thankfully no other cars were involved in the accident and I drove from the scene thinking it was ok.

Now that the car is at the mechanic as turns out there was some problems with the wiring of some sort that got messed up during the accident. This shop doesn't do bodywork but I was told I need to get a police report for the bodywork when I take it to the other shop but I didn't realize one was needed if it doesn't involve another car/person.

So do you need a police report for any kind of damage done to the car? Even if you aren't paying through insurance?

If so where in Calgary can I get one?
    Last edited by black13; 01-16-2007 at 11:59 AM.

My Ride
    02 Accord

u only need a police report when the damage is over $1000. So basically any fender bender needs a police report...

My Ride
    04' S1 SRT-4

You only really need a police report if your car is either:

1. not moveable
    2. There are fluids leaked from your car.
    3. another vehicle was involved.
    Last edited by jf97talon; 01-16-2007 at 12:55 PM.

My Ride
    old Toyotas

Originally posted by jf97talon
    You only really need a police report if your car is either:

1. not moveable
    2. There are fluids leaded from your car.
    3. another vehicle was involved.
    That must be it then cause of the wiring problems with the remote starter, the car wouldn't start so I got it towed there. Not sure if the damage is over $1000 though.

So where do I get a police report? Any police station?

You need a police report if damage is over $1,000 - shops won't work on it w/o it.

My Ride

I thought you needed to get a police report, and get a inspection sticker put on the part with the damage in order to be able to still drive the car around until it can get fixed.

I remember way back in the day when my accord got damaged. It was clearly still drivable with just a small fender bender. But because there was front bumper damage I had to get it inspected and some sticker put on in case I got pulled over by a different cop until the body shop could take me in.

My Ride
    SpecB

Sorry to hear..

Most places will need a police damage sticker filled out before they can repair the work (even if not through insurance).

and, most damages are over $1000 value, if in doubt go get an estimate done first-then report? Not sure if that's the proper way but that's what I choose to do for my hit and run-fender bender.

You can get it done in Calgary right at a police station, just go to the front desk and mention you need a damage sticker. (I looked up police stations on google to figure out where was closest.. if in doubt look up the phone number-non emergency- and just ask what to do. for me the closest was in the NW in silversprings)

A cop will just go out with you to view the road-worthy'ness of the vehicle (safe to drive until fixed, etc..) and you'll fill out a written statement. It's free, they were nice enough to me about it.. in my experience. Oh.. and it doesn't take long.
    Signatures are dumb..

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    You only really need to file one if your going through insurance.
    In a way it's true but usually for any incident just to cover your own ass, you should file a police report if or if your not going to go through insurance.

My Ride
    QX80,SL600, Utopia 205SE

There are 2 situations where you need a police report.

1. If the total damage to all vehicles and property exceed $1000.

2. If there was any type of injury.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Nothing to do with insurance. It's against the law for any shop to work on a car that has more than $1000 damage without a police report/accident sticker.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Wrong. See above.

I still disagree but thats fine. I know its the law, but the law and what people actually do are very different - just like speeding. If your worried you should get one regardless.

I've yet to see any bodyshop that will work on damages over $1000 w/o a police report.

I still disagree but thats fine. I know its the law, but the law and what people actually do are very different - just like speeding. If your worried you should get one regardless.
    You make it sound like you have a choice but you don't. You can disagree with it all you want, but in the end - no sticker, no body work.

Better put on your flame suit - only a matter of time before GTSJeff sees this!

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by 2EFNFAST
    I've yet to see any bodyshop that will work on damages over $1000 w/o a police report.
    Same, unless it's a shop that a friend owns, it's very rare to be able to fix $1000+ damage without a accident sticker from the police report.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    '05 Acura TL

Originally posted by richardchan2002

- only a matter of time before GTSJeff sees this!
    Originally posted by edde
    its called sarcasim you fucking idiot

My Ride
    Hemi, ZX6R

Originally posted by richardchan2002

You make it sound like you have a choice but you don't. You can disagree with it all you want, but in the end - no sticker, no body work.
    Exactly, I was in an accident years ago, didnt get a report done (didnt know at the time), witnessed a seperate accident, wrote a statement on the hood of my car with a cop beside me looking at the damages, he didnt give 2 craps about the damage to my car. I believe the body shops can be held liable if they fix a car without a report. This is to prevent people from getting in hit n runs and getting it fixed.

Originally posted by rage2

Same, unless it's a shop that a friend owns, it's very rare to be able to fix $1000+ damage without a accident sticker from the police report.

You know what I think thats what happened... the reason I say I don't think you need one is that I wasn't asked for one, but my neighbor knows the owner of the shop I used and he knew I was coming. Perhaps that is why I was confused. I've gotten work done multiple times with no sticker. Sounds like I'm the exception I guess. I deleted my previous posts as not to mislead anyone, I now understand why I got so much sticker-free work, my bad.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 01-16-2007 at 04:26 PM.

My Ride
    111R, FL5, DC2R, E61,W201, E36, GSW

When we had our Passat fixed for front end damage, the bill was around 3 grand but we were never asked for a damage sticker and we never had one... I guess the shop was trying to be nice.

My Ride
    rental

^^^ Or just wanted the business.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

I had to get a police report recently. I had to go downtown to the police station right beside the library on 7th ave SE, go to the correspondence unit and bring exactly 30 dollars, they don't give you change otherwise I guess. Phone ahead as they can print it off for you and have it ready. You have to fill out a small form which is really nothing and you're outta there.
    Ultracrepidarian