Quantcast
Airmiles & Aeroplan - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Airmiles & Aeroplan

Default Airmiles & Aeroplan

so which one is better to have. I wanna start using either an airmiles or aeroplan credit card, but not even sure where to get it. Anyone have one? Which is better to have?

I heard Aeroplan u have to use up your pts or something every year or else they are cancelled. Can't remember exactly, it was on the news but I wasn't really paying atttention.

My Ride
    MB C63

Personally I think aeroplan is better because you can just get the aerogold visa from cibc and any purchase you make gets you aeroplan miles. Where as airmiles the place you are purchasing from has to accept airmiles and you have to carry the other card with you.

Not sure which one is better for rewards yet as I havent used them up yet.

well there are airmiles credit cards as well as aeroplan.
    That is what I am after...

My Ride
    Honda

i really like my visa aerogold... i used to sell the westjet mastercard (i had my visa then too) and the rewards aren t as good as they are with visa.... if you like to fly, aerogold (points) is the way to go... if you re into other "free" stuff, airmiles is the way to go.... either way, there is a high interest rate with both credit cards...

aeroplan- one dollar equals one point
    airmiles- need to spend 15 (if gold) equals 1 airmile and 20 (silver and bronze) equals 1 airmile
    FS: lots of Rsx base and type s parts!

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

Aeroplan all the way, as far as I know the points dont expire...at least I hope not, Im up to 60K almost enough for a return ticket to Asia. The aeroplan american express if the best card out there in terms of earning points. The CIBC visa is pretty decent as well, whats nice about aeroplan is that lots of hotels, rental cars, esso gas all use aeroplan so you can move all the points you gain with them to your aeroplan account.
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

i have both and personally i prefer aeroplan as there are always flights available unlike airmiles

My Ride
    '11 SWP Impreza

aeroplan FTW definately, they have a wide selection of non-flight prizes too

My Ride
    SlowBalt

I have aeroplan but I always seem to forget to use it. But I got a couple thousand points...

Aeroplan is where its at. I've been a member for almost a year and i already have enough miles to fly north/central america return.

There are so many ways you can get bonus miles, signing up for visa=15000, CIBC offers 5000 mile bonuses with some stuff. I'd say more than half my miles right now come from bonus miles. Hook it up to Aerogold Visa and you get one mile for every dollar, and there are so many other places that you can accumulate.

My Ride
    '11 SWP Impreza

o yeah my dad's been using aeroplan for like 10 years now and has like over 1000000 points that were finally using this summer..i think it was ~750/800K for 4 people first class to london and return from paris

funny thing is with all the fees u still have to pay nowadays, taxes and fees were another ~$1700 for 4

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

I've researched them both thoroughly, and as said, if you want the points for flying, Aeroplan is the way to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

Aeroplan are easier to earn, but you can collect both?

Mmmm.. people keep telling me the aeroplan, but I think that's because they say 1 point=1 dollar w/ aeroplan but on westjet gold it's 1 point=$15 dollars. And also, I think when some people compare aeroplan to airmiles they compare it to the regular airmiles required to fly instead of the special airmiles point system that the Westjet Gold uses.

But can someone actually tell me the PRICE you need to spend for flying somewhere, lets say Canada, US, and Overseas?

For the Westjet Gold, $12 500 (800 miles) will fly you pretty much anywhere in Canada and spending $24 000 (1600 miles) will fly you anywhere Westjet flies in Canada and the US.
    Last edited by BebeAphrodite; 01-24-2007 at 10:44 PM.

i thought i had heard that they were putting a time limit on aeroplan points now?

^^ I heard that too

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
    Aeroplan all the way, as far as I know the points dont expire...at least I hope not, Im up to 60K almost enough for a return ticket to Asia. The aeroplan american express if the best card out there in terms of earning points. The CIBC visa is pretty decent as well, whats nice about aeroplan is that lots of hotels, rental cars, esso gas all use aeroplan so you can move all the points you gain with them to your aeroplan account.

Originally posted by Super_Steve
    i thought i had heard that they were putting a time limit on aeroplan points now?

Aeroplan now has expiration dates. You have to use the points within 7 years or you lose them. Also, I think you have to redeem once per year or something.

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

lame ass
    Effective July 1, 2007:

18. All mileage in an account expires if the Aeroplan member has not accumulated or redeemed Aeroplan Miles for a period of 12 consecutive months. Mileage may expire without further notice.

Effective January 1, 2007:

19. Mileage in an account expires 7 years (84 months) after the date of accumulation. Mileage accumulated in an account prior to January 1, 2007 is deemed to have an accumulation date of December 31, 2006 (regardless of the actual mileage accumulation date). Mileage may expire without further notice.
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    V8 Toy

Air Canada or Westjet?

Westjet FTW!
    "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind." - Albert Einstein

Originally posted by BebeAphrodite
    Mmmm.. people keep telling me the aeroplan, but I think that's because they say 1 point=1 dollar w/ aeroplan but on westjet gold it's 1 point=$15 dollars. And also, I think when some people compare aeroplan to airmiles they compare it to the regular airmiles required to fly instead of the special airmiles point system that the Westjet Gold uses.

But can someone actually tell me the PRICE you need to spend for flying somewhere, lets say Canada, US, and Overseas?

For the Westjet Gold, $12 500 (800 miles) will fly you pretty much anywhere in Canada and spending $24 000 (1600 miles) will fly you anywhere Westjet flies in Canada and the US.
    For Aeroplan.

From what I remember, it's 12500 ($12.5K) pts for a short haul flight (so a neighbouring prov or state). For anywhere in N. America, it's 25000pts ($25K). Now, that being said, Aeroplan was changed recently so that you get 1.5 pts on retail and gas purchases and double/triple points if you buy at some ADVANTEX restaurants. So, the 12.5K pts and 25K pts I talked about before are worst case scenario. If you use the card for everything - I figure you can shave at least 10-15% the total number of miles.
    To be honest, I think they generally come out the same as i'm sure the credit companies do this analysis.

Here is the aeroplan mile chart for flights:
    http://www.aeroplan.com/use_your_mil...eward_chart.do

Like i said, I have accumulated about 25000 of just bonus aeroplan miles, be it for opening a bank account, signing bonus, getting spare card, having certain minimum balance on a savings account for certain amount of time, flying with air canada (one mile travelled=one mile earned) etc. Double miles at Esso, a)swipe card at pump b) use aerogold visa. I will also be signing up with Esso Speedpass because that gives 400 miles.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast