Quantcast
Not losing weight. WTF? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Not losing weight. WTF?

My Ride
    08 JK, 09 Thruxton 900

Default Not losing weight. WTF?

A couple of you guys seem to know what you're talking about, so I'm going to throw this one out there and see if anyone has some ideas--

I started going to the gym about 6 weeks ago in order to get in shape and lose some weight. I had been pretty sedentary up until then. I've been working out 5 days a week--4 days on weights with about 20 minutes of cardio, and another day about 45-50 minutes of cardio, no weights.

Here's my problem. I'm not losing any weight at all. I'm definitely getting bigger, muscle-wise. But what I really want is to drop about 25lbs of fat. So I think I need to be doing something differently.

I'm watching what I eat fairly carefully, though not I'm totally strict. I also know that I can weigh about 30lbs less than I do and still be in great shape and solidly muscular, since that's where I was at a decade ago when I was my leanest and strongest.

Anyone got any thoughts? Not enough cardio? Not giving it enough time?

Muscle weighs more than fat, so if you feel that you're packing on muscle then your weight may stay the same, or even go up.

By putting on muscle you will loss weight over time by increasing your BMR, however if you want more instantaneous weight loss then you will need to do so through cardio. If you want to lose weight and put on muscle, the process for most people is generally longer than just focussing on one or the other.

It's not what the scale tells you it's what the mirror tells you.

My Ride
    obnoxious bikess.

dont drink beer or pop, i cut them out of my life in january and lost 10 pounds man haha

whiskey waters with a lime are goooood.

My Ride
    E46M3

You are really ignoring the most important part, what you eat.

My Ride
    Indian Scout

I clicked on this expecting a rant post about someone's girlfriend. I'm slightly disappointed.

My Ride
    08 JK, 09 Thruxton 900

Oh. My girlfriend is freaking and threatening to leave me if I don't lose 25 lbs stat.

Just kidding.

As I said, I'm watching what I eat. No junk, limited refined sugars, no white anything. No pop, no juice, lots of water.
    Originally posted by syeve

Oh man, you must be some type of genious...

My Ride
    2000 Prelude

if you wanna lose weight, you gotta go strict diet! thats how i did it, now i just watch what i eat to maintain it, losing weight is like 80% what you eat and 20% exercise? thats what i have heard

so basically, go on a strict diet for 1 month and see if that makes a difference

Last edited by 01RedDX; 10-31-2020 at 03:30 AM.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

try slowing down the cardio for weight loss you should have a heart rate of about 130 (if you are 20) and the older you are the more that goes down

if you are running at a level where your heart rate is higher than that you are not burning as much fat as you could be

i have started doing a mile long run once a week now along with 3 or 4 days of weights and with out really changing my diet i have drop about 10 pounds it could be more if i stop going to be at 5 and stop eatting denny's after the bar and maybe stop drinking so much beer

My Ride
    2G Talon

Originally posted by 01RedDX
    Try measuring your progress in inches lost/gained, and not in lbs.
    Exactly, or fat percentage.

Circuit training does wonders. A good combination of cardio, endurance, and weight training.

Step up the cardio and definitely watch what your food intake is (ie: pop/fast food) and make sure you are getting plenty of water.

My Ride
    00 Neon

How much are you eating?? If you aren't eating enough calories, you probably won't lose weight because you are pushing your body too hard, whilst not giving it proper energy. Lean meats, healthy carbs (brown rice, whole wheat breads and pastas) and fruits and veggies will do the trick. Make sure also that you are taking a proper Multi-Vitamin. If you are at a good gym, there should be a nutritionist on staff there, I'd talk to her/him about dieting options.

You might also want to invest in a scale with a body fat monitor. This will help you determine the change in body composition, by giving you a % water and % fat reading. Sounds like your probably gaining muscle but are discouraged by the fact that you aren't seeing a difference on the scale.

And 'Cheating' by eating bad foods is one of the worst things you can do. Try to keep on track by finding low fat alternatives to treats you like.
    Last edited by xxjessmicaxx; 02-22-2007 at 01:33 AM.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

The hardest thing for people to do is cut the carbs. I'm not sure how big you are but What's worked for me is carb cutoff with limited carbs per day. I eat about 100carbs a day total and none 6-7 houts before bed. Works wonders.

Just so you don't get discuraged, 6weeks is nothing in the long run friend. Your life is long be patient and do it slow.

Log EVERYthing you eat on www.fitday.com and see what you need to cut. Fyi Something "Healthy" Like subway or pita pit can have upto 100 carbs. Thats my whole days worth

EDIT take 10-15G of fish oil per day and do fat burning cardio. 65% > heart rate.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

no carbs 6-7 hours before bed? shit i would die...

I guess it depends on when you workout too though..

I workout at 6-7pm or so...So i have to have my carbs a little later in the day too

My Ride

Originally posted by bulaian
    no carbs 6-7 hours before bed? shit i would die...

I guess it depends on when you workout too though..

I workout at 6-7pm or so...So i have to have my carbs a little later in the day too
    yeah sorry lol, MUST eat carbs after weights.. but ONLY after lifting not cardio. usually 60G carbs. I make sure to keep the carbs on lifting days around 125.

But no carbs 6-7 hours before bed is easy man, It's all about discipline, I still eat veggies pretty much until bed. Fiber is your friend.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    1989 Supra

damn hundred carbs a day , i have a hundred post workout

My Ride

Originally posted by AdamSarkozi
    damn hundred carbs a day , i have a hundred post workout
    Thats ruining your insulin levels post work out when you need them to be stable. Have 60, then 40, 1 hour later. You won't crash either.. Also postwork out I only have 30 fast carbs, the rest slow carbs ie: Oats.

If you take BCAA's you can get away with 100Carbs postworkout, but its not reccomended.

-H.P. Lovecraft

Work on your stamina, not your strength when your lifting weights. Do lighter weights with higher repititions, 3 excersizes, 3 sets each, with about 16-20 reps for each set for one muscle. Good luck.

nm
    Last edited by e36bmw///; 03-05-2018 at 03:41 PM.

My Ride
    08 JK, 09 Thruxton 900

Thanks for everyone's comments. I think what I needed was patience and perserverance. Must have been a hump to get over right at the start because the pounds are coming off fine now. 5lbs in the last two weeks.

And thanks for the link to Fitday.com. That site will be really valuable over the coming months.
    Originally posted by syeve

Oh man, you must be some type of genious...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast