Quantcast
What exactly is backpacking? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: What exactly is backpacking?

Default What exactly is backpacking?

When people say backpack in a country... what do they do? Do they hige hike, take the bus around from city to city, plane?? How does it all work?

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

It means you fly to one place, with only a backpack, and travel to a quite a few places by train (or bus), usually staying in hostels (as they are cheap, and a great place to find people to party with).
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

Also , for the most part , backpackers tend to try and see as much as they can with as little money as possible . No fancy all inclusive . No 1st. class . No taxi's when public transport is a fraction of the cost . No doing anything out of convenience , like eating at a fancy restaurant when there is a street vendor outside of your hostel .
    The main goal is to see as much as you can , for as little as possible so you can see more . Most backpackers also have jobs that reflect their bohemian lifestyle ( ie , non career oriented jobs ) .
    Time not travelling is spent saving for your next adventure . Oh , and backpackers tend to try and appreciate more of where they are , meaning that they try and speak the local lingo , and eat what the locals eat etc .
    The big thing too is carrying all your belongings on your back , like a turtle . Being the most practical and efficient while wandering around and staying away from the beaten path .

My Ride
    Giant Rainier

Originally posted by blueToy
    Most backpackers also have jobs that reflect their bohemian lifestyle ( ie , non career oriented jobs ) .
    That is too funny. I think "backpacking" is just an urbanite buzzword to some where "roughing it" also has different meanings. I'm sorry, I keep thinking of this person I know who bought this extravagant shit to go "backpacking" in Asia.

My Ride
    07 Avalanche LTZ

I think of backpacking in terms of going into the bush with 100 pounds on your back and livin for 10 days

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

It means going to as many countries as you can, for as cheap as you can while seeing as much as you can. And in all honesty, this is the only way to appreciate culture, history and the sites you've seen. Staying at an all-inclusive hotel in Europe is a waste of time as far as I'm concern.
    Ultracrepidarian

Originally posted by Lexxan
    I think of backpacking in terms of going into the bush with 100 pounds on your back and livin for 10 days
    Well , kinda the same . What you described to me I'd call camping or hiking . But it's all the same . Living life at the lowest common denominator with the least amount of luxury for the adventure and practicality of it . Living out of your pack , basically .

No-Joke .
    Yeah , my idea of backpacking is probably different then most . I tend to think of it more as " old school " backpacking ( because I'm old , lol ) , and my idea of roughing it is probably way more different then a lot of the travel princess's that I've seen with the 2 huge suitcases and two carry-ons for a 5 day trip to Mexico .

Most old guys like me that backpack try to take the least amount humanly possible and go for the longest time with the least of money . It's my tried , tested and true philosophy .

what are some of things you would recommand to do in Australia for 23 days.... I heard to visit the great barrier rief... so if all possible I would like to go from Cairns, to Sydney to Melbourne. I would like to backpack my way there until I get to Melbourne, once in Melbourne I get to stay @ my sis. place... so realistically, just backpacking for 2 weeks or so...
    Last edited by maplelodge; 02-18-2007 at 10:20 AM.

Originally posted by maplelodge
    what are some of things you would recommand to do in Australia for 23 days.... I heard to visit the great barrier rief... so if all possible I would like to go from Cairns, to Sydney to Melbourne. I would like to backpack my way there until I get to Melbourne, once in Melbourne I get to stay @ my sis. place... so realistically, just backpacking for 2 weeks or so...

What time of year ?

As some general advice , I would land in Cairns and plan to hang out for a week . Cairns is a great jumping off point to learn and do some diving on the Great Barrier Reef . Also , it will take you a few days to adjust to being in OZ (jet lag ) because it'll almost be exactly opposite of how your system is here . I really didn't get a good sleep/wake pattern till after 4-5 days .
    Another thing is Cairns will have lots of tourists/travellers , and it may be a good place to hook up with someone or folks who are heading south .

23 days is great , but I'd probably want to limit what I see and do as you could spend a year on the coast as it's the most populated and has tons of places/things to do . At this point you should also consider do you want to see more outdoorsie things like do a bunch of islands , or do you want to see a few islands and hang out checking out the cities . Also , how long do you plan on hanging out with your Sister ? I'm sure it'd be easy to spend 5-6 days checking out Melbourne and the surrounding area .
    Sydney and area probably another 3-6 days .
    So it's all a matter of what you want to see . and since you're backpacking , how long it takes for you to get from point A to point B .

Back to the thread . Another thing is backpackers NEVER should be reguarded as tourists . Huge difference , although , really , we're all just tourists .
    And backpackers , really , are more prone to just floating wherever the wind takes them .
    Backpacking is about living a certain type of life , you really don't even have to leave home to do it .

What time of year ?

As some general advice , I would land in Cairns and plan to hang out for a week . Cairns is a great jumping off point to learn and do some diving on the Great Barrier Reef . Also , it will take you a few days to adjust to being in OZ (jet lag ) because it'll almost be exactly opposite of how your system is here . I really didn't get a good sleep/wake pattern till after 4-5 days .
    Another thing is Cairns will have lots of tourists/travellers , and it may be a good place to hook up with someone or folks who are heading south .

23 days is great , but I'd probably want to limit what I see and do as you could spend a year on the coast as it's the most populated and has tons of places/things to do . At this point you should also consider do you want to see more outdoorsie things like do a bunch of islands , or do you want to see a few islands and hang out checking out the cities . Also , how long do you plan on hanging out with your Sister ? I'm sure it'd be easy to spend 5-6 days checking out Melbourne and the surrounding area .
    Sydney and area probably another 3-6 days .
    So it's all a matter of what you want to see . and since you're backpacking , how long it takes for you to get from point A to point B .

Plan to do in in August. Most likely stay in Melbourne for one week, with total budget $4-5k. My bro. in law say plane trips within Oz is pretty competitive to greyhound there... I say more outdoor!! and of course the city during the night

My Ride
    City Transit

Backpacking from my experience was visiting places around the world, on a very limited budget.... Sometimes sleeping in hostels that are not quite ...... comfortable. But the experience you gain and the people you meet are incredible and its the only way to go unless you have money then you become a flashpacker...

My Ride
    2002 SVT Focus

Backpacking is about living a certain type of life , you really don't even have to leave home to do it .

That's Brokebackpacking...