Quantcast
Mount Royal now a university - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Mount Royal now a university

My Ride
    02 Civic LX

Thumbs up Mount Royal now a university

So after much debate, Mount Royal now offers a University Degree of Nursing. I'm just assuming more will come (hopefully for communications ).

I got this email today from the president of Mount Royal

This is a proud and historic day for Mount Royal. It's a day that will live on as
    one of the most significant milestones in Mount Royal's history.

I am pleased to say that this fall we will begin offering our first university
    degree - a Bachelor of Nursing.

This is great news for our students, faculty and staff and for those who want to
    pursue nursing careers. As well, it's especially good news for the community - the
    new program will accommodate an additional 50 nursing students starting this fall,
    for a total of 330 nursing students, and the first Mount Royal Bachelor of Nursing
    class will graduate in 2011.

The fact that we are offering our first university degree in nursing reflects our
    proven track record of preparing students for careers in the field of community
    health. We have a long history of collaborating with our Alberta post-secondary
    partners to prepare students for careers in nursing and many students are currently
    enrolled in these programs.

As well, we are committed to offering programs that meet the needs of the community
    we serve and by offering a degree in this field we are responding to an urgent
    community requirement. Mount Royal's Bachelor of Nursing is a quality program that
    creates more choice and provides greater access to students.

And this is only the first step in the journey. We currently have 20 university
    degrees and majors that the minister has already approved to move forward. They are
    now before the Campus Alberta Quality Council for approval and will ultimately be
    sent back to the minister for funding approval.

When all of these degree programs are fully enrolled, we will have more than 80 per
    cent of our students in degree programs, which is expected by 2012.

One point I would like to emphasize is that, as degrees are approved and announced,
    you will not see any significant changes to the program in which you are registered
    now. We will continue to offer all the courses you require to complete existing
    programs with no changes to the graduation requirements that were in place the year
    you entered the program.

Teaching has always been Mount Royal's highest priority and will remain our most
    fundamental characteristic as we strive to have the majority of our students
    registered in undergraduate degree programs. Our transition is about building on
    Mount Royal's strengths, which include providing student-centred programs that
    enable a great deal of one-on-one, personalized training.

As well, I'm proud to say that much of the credit for today's announcement goes to
    Mount Royal staff - the same people who work to ensure the quality of your
    educational experience every day. Many of our employees have spent years working
    towards this day and I applaud their hard work and dedication.

Their achievement has changed the institution significantly and will enable us to
    move ahead with our plans to establish Mount Royal as Canada's leading undergraduate
    institution.

Dave Marshall
    President
    Mount Royal College

More information about transition
    http://www.mtroyal.ca/in_motion/

More information about the Bachelor of Nursing
    http://www.mtroyal.ca/healthcomm/nursing/
    I think its a step in the right direction, it will offer more choices to students, ease the strain on U of C and hopefully get some more funding MtRoyal's way.

not this thread again..

heard this on the news
    But thats really great news, i think the fact that Mount Royal now offers a solution to our Huge nursing shortage is a great success, i hope they do well with it.

Mount Royal has always had a successful nursing program, this is good to hear!
    Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.