Quantcast
Argh! Potholes! Help! - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Argh! Potholes! Help!

Angry Argh! Potholes! Help!

So last night I was down in High River doing some stuff for work, driving along then all of a sudden bam! pothole that was not there a week ago ... I don't live there anymore so I don't know these things Anyways, hit the pothole, drove a bit, then realized my tire was flat.
    I got my summer rims out of storage and put them on the front, and I went to crappy tire and bought a new steelie to replace the one that is royally screwed.
    Anyways, I have a feeling that there is probably more to it then just a steel rim. I know i have the wrong aluminum rims on (one front, one rear) but i only had the 2 still with air in them. There is a bad shimmy from the front end, on the highway home i couldn't keep her straight for the life of me. Now I know the lack of balancing in the rims doesn't help, but what else COULD i have screwed from the pothole? I plan on getting it all checked out, I just want to hear everyone else's views and opinions of what all needs to be looked at and probably replaced...
    thanks for any help you all can give me ...

i would assume the effects would be similar to curbing your car, so i would guess lower control arm and probably need an allignment

Ok so I will be getting it into the shop to get alignment and front end checked, bushings, control arms, rie rods, etc.
    now the worst question...should I be making the Town of High River pay for the repairs? I talked to my insurance company, and the damages probably won't even be worth it for the up in premiums and the deductible. But she told me that the Town should take liability, as there was absolutely no signage or anything else warning me about it. I was driving the speed limit, the hole was just that bad. and they knew it because apparently it just got fixed yesterday.
    If they can be held resposible, any advice on how to go about this? I talked to the people at the town, and the roads foreman was not in for the day, but will be back on monday, so I have no conclusive answer from them whether it will be covered by them or what the heck...
    I just want to know what my best course of action would be? Or should I even bother...will they just laugh at me and tell me to get out of their hair? do i have any chance at succeeding without bringing it to court? I have no idea....
    please...any advice would be great!

Okay, so the town refuses to pay for damages...but the damages in the end, are not that much. The tire and steel rim, obviously. As well, the mechanic said that the outer tie rod end on the right side is worn and needs to be replaced, but it was just from wear and tear, the pothole was just more wear on it...
    Anyways, so this mechanic here in strathmore told me that it would cost $57 for the low end tie rod ends, $114 for the high end ones. I am unsure...I do not know these front end parts so well...is there any actual difference between them?
    And on that note, I have found a couple sets of them on ebay, http://cgi.ebay.ca/2-Outer-Tie-Rod-e...QQcmdZViewItem for $17 for the pair, and http://cgi.ebay.ca/2-Outer-TIE-ROD-E...QQcmdZViewItem for $25 for the pair

please advise, if i can save the money and ebay them then i will save myself some money...i just don't really know about tie rod ends, so i have no clue i just don't want to end up getting complete crap and then being screwed...