Quantcast
Anyone go to school in USA - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Anyone go to school in USA

My Ride
    2001 BMW M3 Convertible

Default Anyone go to school in USA

Just wondering if anyone here has gone to post-secondary in USA and is NOT a US citizen. I am planning on attending school in California and eventually law school there. I am not a citizen nor do I have any family there to help me obtain a visa. I am in the process of getting a visa to work there which will help me establish residency enabling me to pay state tuition instead of out of state which is super high.

If anyone has gone, where did you go, did you like it and how did you manage to pay for it. I am understanding you can actually get student loans for colleges outside of Canada but there are certain limitations.

Thanks in advance for your input.

I am trying to get into UCLA Santa Babara. I am in the same spot as you , no family , no citizenship... As of right now the fees are double for international students , but some Canadian gov't forms have been released this year ... and somewhere it says that you can get money back from the govt, goin international.

Anyways im looking into it as well ,post up the info you have.
    2011 Mercedes C63 AMG //2009 Mercedes C350 SOLD //2008 BMW 335i SOLD //2006 Mercedes C Sold// 2002 BMW M3 SOLD// 2004 Porsche C4S SOLD// 2006 Audi S4 SOLD// 2005 Audi 1.8T SS SOLD// 2004 Subaru STi SOLD// 1994 LHD Toyota Supra SOLD//1993 LHD Mazda RX-7 SOLD // 2002 Honda S2000 SC SOLD// 2004 Range Rover SOLD//

To get instate tuition you have to be living in the state for at least 1 year consecetively and working. If you go home for the summer this is not considered established residence. Also you must be a permanent resident of the US (green card holder).

If you go to school on a student visa (easy to get when you get accepted) then you can work on campus, including in the summer. Most schools have international scholarships, and achedmic scholarships for foreign students. Additionally some schools have Canadian Alumni Associations which give need based aid to students from Canada.

Honestly if you are going to school in the US without a scholarship, your better off going to a private school. Its not that much more than out of state tuition at a good state school.

My Ride
    2001 BMW M3 Convertible

I am in the process of obtaining my TN visa to work in the US but what I need to do is actually get my H1-B visa which is also a working visa BUT that does allow me to establish residency and get state tuition where as a student visa or a TN (NAFTA) visa does not...I will have enough to pay for 1/2 to 2/3 of my undergrad there but I will need some assistance for that as well as financial aid for law school, where it really gets expensive...I have learned however that Canadian stident loans will provide me the aid IF I am attending school in USA in a grad program such as medicine or law so that is good.

I guess I will have to do some research in terms of finding assistance for part of my undergrad...I know there are sholarships and programs available...there is one corp. that does student loans to canadians going to school in USA but you need a cosignor and I have no one as of yet...was hoping someone else has been through this and had ideas.

My Ride
    V167

I go to med school abroad and currently have a $150K Line of Credit from RBC in case I ever need money in the future during my studies. Expenses are just crazy (nearing $30g USD after just 8 months of studies) so I thought it would be a good idea to have the LOC as a backup if/when I need it. I didn't need a co-signer or anything. Applied one day and got the phone call that it had been approved the next day.

Not sure if that helps you out or not but I just wanted to let you know that RBC does have something for Professional students which definately covers Med/Dental students and Law students as well.

I'm pretty sure that I can apply for some type of gov't loan but I never have had the time to look into it, need to check into this during my spring break.

Here's what I am using:
    http://www.rbcroyalbank.com/RBC:RgDd...ical/plan.html

Here's what you should possibly look at:
    http://www.rbcroyalbank.com/RBC:RgDd...dents_pro.html

Lol, med students at least get a benefit of having the huge amount available @ prime hehe.

Back to the books (at 3:30am haha). Piece.

My Ride
    '05 G35x, '04 E53, '98 E36

Originally posted by nismodrifter
    I go to med school abroad and currently have a $150K Line of Credit from RBC in case I ever need money in the future during my studies. Expenses are just crazy (nearing $30g USD after just 8 months of studies) so I thought it would be a good idea to have the LOC as a backup if/when I need it. I didn't need a co-signer or anything. Applied one day and got the phone call that it had been approved the next day.

Not sure if that helps you out or not but I just wanted to let you know that RBC does have something for Professional students which definately covers Med/Dental students and Law students as well.

I'm pretty sure that I can apply for some type of gov't loan but I never have had the time to look into it, need to check into this during my spring break.

Here's what I am using:
    http://www.rbcroyalbank.com/RBC:RgDd...ical/plan.html

Here's what you should possibly look at:
    http://www.rbcroyalbank.com/RBC:RgDd...dents_pro.html

Lol, med students at least get a benefit of having the huge amount available @ prime hehe.

Back to the books (at 3:30am haha). Piece.
    where you going to school??