Quantcast
Canon E18 Problem - Where to get it fixed? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Canon E18 Problem - Where to get it fixed?

My Ride
    Eclipse

Default Canon E18 Problem - Where to get it fixed?

So i researched what the E18 problem is, and it says since the lens is not straight it will not go in properly.. I dropped it one to many times I guess... Anyways, i tried doing this

I'm sure that every1 looking at this right now would love to be able to do a quick fix for the dreaded E18 error. Well, I have fixed mine several time in less time that it takes to take a picture. So here it is: This error occurs when the lens is "stuck" or not extending "straight". The error can happen in 3 ways: either when the lens wont "come out", or "comes out" and then retracts, or does not retract at all. Mine did all of these at one stage or another.
    1) If the lens doesn't extend at all or it extends, but then retracts again, do as follow:
    Turn the camera off. Place the camera on it's back with the lens facing up and have a look at the "spacing" between the lens and the lens housing. You'll probably notice that the gap is NOT EVEN all the way around. To fix this, simply -VERY GENTLY- press down on the side where the gap is the biggest. You will hear a "click" as it pops back in place. Try powering it back on.
    2) If the lens is extended all the time and won't retarct at all, do as follow:
    Turn the camera off. Take the camera in one hand and with the other gently, in turn, take the two part of the lens and gently move it round in a cuirclar movement. Do so with both sections of the lens. You will once again hear a little "click" as it pops back in place. Power the camera on.
    This has worked for me many times and it seems to happen when the camera has been carried around and possible had a little knock. I hope this is of help to someone else.
    But no luck, So I'm wondering if anyone knows of any shops around town that will fix the drop...

Thanks
    Originally posted by beemerm3
    so if we only seen 5 % of the oceans why not drain them or somethin lol or can u even transfer water from one ocean to another??? think of all the stuff u'd find treasures n eerything.

there's a canon service center in the NE, but do a search and you'll find some opinons about their service, or lack thereof. D'z nutz has had some first hand experience with them.
    heloc that shit

My Ride
    Eclipse

Yah i see D'z nutz only mentioned it was in the NE, he did not say the name... Im going to go down 17th where they had the camera store before...

Any other ideas? with decent / fast service...

Thanks!
    so if we only seen 5 % of the oceans why not drain them or somethin lol or can u even transfer water from one ocean to another??? think of all the stuff u'd find treasures n eerything.

What name are you looking for? It's a Canon service center.
    heloc that shit

My Ride
    Tiburon, Hachiroku, AE92 GT-S, Sonata

I took an expensive, busted SLR lens to that service centre. They had it about 5 weeks but it came back fixed. I guess I can't complain, the lens works now.

I also busted the lens assembly on my A540. I called canon parts and it was $108 + shipping + tax just for the part. So I'm guessing it's gonna cost you like about couple hundred to fix the camera... which may not be worth it.

Or you can do what I did. I bought a broken camera on ebay (made sure the lens didn't look busted) for $40. Opened them up and replaced the lens in my cam, put the busted lens in the ebay camera and assembled them back up. Then I put the busted camera on ebay and sold it for $34.

So including shipping the whole deal cost me about $20.

My Ride
    Eclipse

Thanks, I went to don Photo, and they said they would have 2 send it to canon, and it will take 4-6 weeks...

I know what the problem is, Im going to try and take it apart right now, and try to fix it myself, if not I'm going to search

ebay, the camera is not worth a 200+ fix, Id rather buy a new one

Its a canon 620...

My Ride
    Tiburon, Hachiroku, AE92 GT-S, Sonata

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=320104698355

The lens looks like it may have escaped impact. Go for it.

My Ride
    AI Servo

The Canon Service center is actually just a few blocks south of STRD. I usually cut through the back of STRD to 29th Ave as a shortcut from 32nd.

I know a few people have had really bad service from them. There is one guy in there who speaks with a foreign accent and he's horrible. He shouted at me when I dropped off my 20D for calibration a few months ago.

The best person to deal with is Cindy. She has been really helpful to me and really took the time to help me out. I had an issue with a repair which was very costly. I won't go into details but I explained my situation to her and she, over a period of three days, went back and forth between me and her manager and finally got the repair bill significantly reduced. she didn't have to do anything for me because the unit was out of warranty but she did and I was very appreciative. That experience changed my view of canon service for sure.

My Ride
    Eclipse

Thanks for the comments, but I didn't have time to wait 3-6weeks for someone 2 fix the camera.. so i ebayed a used one for 200cad...

Thanks for all the replies.