Quantcast
any educational website for 7th grader - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: any educational website for 7th grader

Default any educational website for 7th grader

okie, my cousin is in 7th grade right now and he isnt doing well in english. I'm from Singapore and i dont really understand the syllabus over in calgary. Is there any website or any methods of improving his grades in English?

What are the stuff tested for in English? In Singapore, the main components are composition and comprehension whereby they place strong emphasis on spelling,grammer and vocabulary

any teachers here that can give some suggestions?

My Ride
    Bicycle

No wonder I can't understand anything they are saying over the phone but they write perfect e-mails.

Conversational English isn't something you pick up from a website. #1 way to learn is lots of practice. I don't know about Calgary, but there are lots of conversation coaches in Vancouver (bigger market). The more you talk, the more you learn.

Also stay away from TV in his own language. Watch lots and lots of TV programs. Like news, drama and comedy.

Grade 7 isn't hopeless. He can still pick up the language very easily. ESL should help too.

hmm i take the comment to this thread as something useful rather than an offense. Thanks for replying.

Anyway , am not talking about conversational English right here. The boy grew up 100% in canada,studies his whole life in government schools in canada, cant really speak his native language which is chinese.

are 7th graders only tested on oral english or are they tested something else, because from the way that i see it, he should be doing fine in his conversational english, just that his chain of thoughts might not be that constructed given that he's so young.

What is ESL? is it useful.

anyway i would think that it really takes time for someone to switch over for a language. Because it isnt like maths, whereby some practise and you will be doing fine. That is why people do sound different, just as brit sounds diff frm american which sounds diff frm canadians =), in asia countries even amongst chinese, they sound different when they speak also. Just by the person speaking in Mandarin, you would know which part of asia they come from. Think thats the accent that is tagged with them =)

but i really do want to help him bcos my aunt is really upset over this, anyone can help??!!??

My Ride
    06 S2000

ESL means English as a Second Language, it's used mainly for those who have come over from other countries and have a harder time with the english language (speaking, writing, reading)... As for what they are looking for, they look a lot into reading comprehension as well as writing ability (spelling, grammar, sentence composure). I can't exactly recommend any websites for that, but I know that after reading a lot of fantasy novels in jr high and high school (grade 7-12) that my reading comprehension and also all my writing skills were usually higher than that of my classmates.'

So I would just suggest doing a lot of reading in english, something that he would enjoy reading, such as fantasy, or fiction (ie: Harry Potter).

Hopefully this post helps out.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    Bicycle

oh, so he's not an immigrant. ESL is English as Second Language which doesn't apply to him.

Sylvan learning center should have after school programs to help.

At that age, websites are not going to help because kids are rarely self motivated. You need to sit his ass in front of a tutor.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

There are a few sites that talk about communication... but they're not really for a 7th grade level.

His best bet might simply to go talk to his teacher and ask for help.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

I think Sorath has an "educational" website for 7th graders.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

wow...really appreciate the replies. what are 7th grader tested on in calgary? how are they graded in english. Correct me if i am wrong, one thing i notice about kids/adults over there is that they dont really spell well, they may know the words but their spelling is atrocious. Whereas over here the kids may not know the words or the existence of the words but the limited range of vocabulary they have, they do spell them pretty well...

anywhere i can get good guide books for him.

What is the website that u mention? any links to it?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by kaishen
    wow...really appreciate the replies. what are 7th grader tested on in calgary? how are they graded in english. Correct me if i am wrong, one thing i notice about kids/adults over there is that they dont really spell well, they may know the words but their spelling is atrocious. Whereas over here the kids may not know the words or the existence of the words but the limited range of vocabulary they have, they do spell them pretty well...
    Spelling is by pronunciation. Where in Asian countries, it's by memory (which is most Asian language is based on anyway).

That's the difference.

If he's falling behind, get a tutor.

xtrema you are extremely right for the asian part. i remember when i was young, we had spelling for english and chinese every single week. marks are also heavily penalised when we made spelling mistakes in essays.

but i shud say that canada did a great job in her education system in the sense that when i see the syllabus, am pretty impressed that children are exposed to a wide spectrum of knowledge, and there is indeed so much more than just a paperchase.

the boy's not interested in studying and he is so young.
    Anyone or any mums have any solutions to this?

Well, not a mom or a teacher, but I strongly recommend reading. Even comic books just to get him/her interested.

If your concerned about his/her grades, do try and talk to the teacher to see what she/he thinks your cousin needs help on.

Although it's kinda lame, he/she could sign up for Reading Buddies at the Calgary Public Library for the summer and read with kids. Great for character building.

Xtrema - My sister and brother were Canadian born and raised, and they had to go through ESL for a bit. See what extra programs the school may offer. Might be hard since you're not a parent though. Nice to see you looking out for your cousin.