Quantcast
Need '06 Triumph Daytona 675 opinions - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need '06 Triumph Daytona 675 opinions

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Question Need '06 Triumph Daytona 675 opinions

Hey guys, a buddy is thinking about getting one of those new Daytona 675's. I was wondering what you guys thought about it.

Being British, I had no interest in the "NEW" Triumph company's offerings at all, considering the "OLD" Triumph died in the 1970's since they could only dream of competing with the emerging Jap bike scene. However the new company seems to be damn good, as the Daytona 675 seems to be getting *RAVE* reviews by everybody.

My only question is (he was wondering as well) what kind of maintenence/reliability should he expect? It supposedly eats the R6 & ZX6R for breakfast, and sounds unworldly, so what do you guys think?
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My gf's brother bought one. Put 300km's on it and then it wouldn't start. So it's been sitting at blackfoot for a couple of weeks now.

My Ride
    Schwinn 21 speed....

Heres a shootout where it placed number 1.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Articl...D=3301&Page=1#

My Ride
    Horse

Originally posted by boostinside
    My gf's brother bought one. Put 300km's on it and then it wouldn't start. So it's been sitting at blackfoot for a couple of weeks now.
    thats pretty rare.

they seem to be the same as any other bike for reliablitliy and maintenance costs. they are a very "streetable" bike, and pretty much everyone that has owned one or drove one loves them.

My Ride
    Nothing worth mentioning.

Those bikes are totally awesome. I almost got one over the gsxr750
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "Look at my small penis everyone,"

I just bought a new Triumph Sprint ST1050.

Triumph has really come a long way since they almost bit it in the 80's --

They learned and borrowed a lot from the Japanese and then when their main factory burned down a few years ago (02-03) they totally retooled with all new state of the art equipment!!

Now they build some of the best and most reliable stuff there is.

As reliable as the Japanese and BMW and more reliable than Ducs or Harleys.

Here's the results of the Motorad 50,000 km endurance test on my bike.

"TRIUMPH SPRINT ST IS AN ENDURING WINNER!"

LONDON, U.K, 12th February 2007: The Triumph Sprint ST is the most durable motorcycle on the market and has ensured the continuation of Triumph’s success at the top of its trade. This inspirational sports tourer has beaten off competition from no less than 12 other bikes to win German motorcycle publication, Motorrad’s, 50,000km endurance test.

Astonishingly, Germany’s best-selling and most influential motorcycle magazine found that, even after covering the extensive distance of 50,000km, the Sprint’s compression and performance figures matched those of a brand new bike! The oil consumption was marginal, the engine, clutch and gearbox were all in very good condition and the painted parts, frame and exhaust pipe showed no sign of corrosion at all.

The judges were also impressed by the machine’s superb handling and given its reasonable cost, combined with its unrivalled reliability; Triumph’s Sprint ST was the only possible winner.

The bike has won a host of other accolades since its launch and has come to represent the very pinnacle of sports touring refinement. For those who haven’t yet experienced this sublime machine for themselves, a free test ride awaits at most Triumph dealers.

The condition of the Triumph Sprint ST after the Motorrad 50,000km endurance test is outlined below:

Cylinder head:
    - All valves were leak proof
    - Valve seats were satisfactory
    - Valve guides and stems were within figures for new
    - Camshaft-bearings had visible marks but were within tolerance
    - Cam lobes are very good

Liners/Pistons:
    - All liners had visible marks but were within tolerances
    - RHS liner slightly more noncircular but still within tolerances
    - Piston free play is satisfactory with not much charcoal

Crank assembly:
    - Main bearings like new
    - Big ends perfect
    - Small ends and gudgeon pins slightly worn

Transmission:
    - Gear box in very good condition with no pitting
    - Clutch plates like new

Frame/Chassis:
    - Premium and reliable paintwork
    - No hidden corrosion on powder coated frame

ABOUT TRIUMPH MOTORCYCLES

Triumph Motorcycles, the iconic British motorcycle marque, is solely owned by Bloor Holdings Ltd. First established in 1902 and now located in Hinckley, Leicestershire, Triumph has always set the pace for category winning machines. From the iconic Bonneville to the mould-breaking Daytona 675 Triple, Triumph offers a blend of design, character, sex appeal and performance that combines to create truly distinctive motorcycles.

I know this isn't the Daytona --which is an amazing bike BTW -- but it does attest to the qulaity of product Triumph is putting out nowadays.

Now hopefully the secret doesn't get out b/c I don't want every one on a Triumph..

It's nice to have a rarer bike
    Last edited by D. Dub; 04-18-2007 at 06:37 PM.

My Ride
    A car, a truck, and a bike

I love the 675, will likely buy one next season....Easily my favorite bike!
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride

D Dubb, thanks a LOT!!

I'll email this thread to him, I think this puts the nail in the coffin, he's been holding back; leary about any given reliability/ maintenence issues, but if their as good as they've been for you, then who can argue with a lightweight triple with remarkable low & mid range torque? Its definately off the beaten path,

but I noticed BMW is getting into the sportbike market. The R1200S I saw a week ago at Blackfoot was pretty damn cool, although a flat rear facing twin (1200cc) is definately quite a twist for something to compete with these rev-happy inline 4 jap bikes, but he seems pretty set on the Triumph.

BTW, thanks a lot to everybody else.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

Originally posted by Graham_A_M
    D Dubb, thanks a LOT!!

I'll email this thread to him, I think this puts the nail in the coffin, he's been holding back; leary about any given reliability/ maintenence issues, but if their as good as they've been for you, then who can argue with a lightweight triple with remarkable low & mid range torque? Its definately off the beaten path,

but I noticed BMW is getting into the sportbike market. The R1200S I saw a week ago at Blackfoot was pretty damn cool, although a flat rear facing twin (1200cc) is definately quite a twist for something to compete with these rev-happy inline 4 jap bikes, but he seems pretty set on the Triumph.

BTW, thanks a lot to everybody else.
    Yeah BMW is really trying to "change horses" -- they've finally figured out that their primary targeted buyers are all getting to old to ride

They have to design, build and market product that the younger crowd will want -- the old boxer just wasn't cutting it anymore.

Back to the Trumpet -triple -- Nothing sounds as cool as that triple heading to redline --gives me the giigles just thinkin about it

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

Great bike, and IMO the best bang for your buck.
    Competitively priced, and great performance. I'm considering buying one as a second bike.

My Ride

^ I saw the new BMW lineup at Blackfoot an hour ago, just checking them out, the price for the 800cc parrell twin seemed okay, but $18k for the 1200S? thanks, but I'll pass. That thing has so much flimsey plastic around the "gas tank" as it felt like sitting on a street-fighter Goldwing The quality and fit of both of the BMW sportbikes left lots to be desired. The guy said both were GREAT bikes, but for $18k I think BMW has a lot more work to do if they want to see sales rise significantly.

I went in there with him today, and he has a tornado red 675 to be assembled and ready to go by late next week they figure. The one they had there on display had the "brother's two" full exhaust, but unfortunately its $950 price tag doesn't warrent the whopping 2bhp gain across the curve. So he got one with only the factory exhaust, as it sounds almost as cool anyway.

BTW see if you can deal with Morgan at Blackfoot -- great guy

My Ride

^ For parts or service? I've never dealt with him before,
    BTW, whats the proper way to break in the Triumph engine? The sales guy said:
    "Just vary the throttle, speed & gearing for the first 800km's" Okay, but is that it? is there anything else? I've heard that to break in an engine on the dyno is the best: that way there is an optimized computer controlled break in procedure, is there any place in calgary (asides from Performance cycle & auto) that does that?

Theres different ways to break things in, and that goes for any engine.. Its not bad to rev them up as long as you don't hold them at a steady rpm for any length of time, and don't bag on them cold, and let them cool after a good little run.. I think not lugging them is a big part of things.. The two main methods are, take it easy on it and break it in gently, and the other is giver' hell like you would once it is broken in fully. Take your pick...

My Ride
    your mom

Originally posted by Graham_A_M
    ^ For parts or service? I've never dealt with him before,
    BTW, whats the proper way to break in the Triumph engine? The sales guy said:
    "Just vary the throttle, speed & gearing for the first 800km's" Okay, but is that it? is there anything else? I've heard that to break in an engine on the dyno is the best: that way there is an optimized computer controlled break in procedure, is there any place in calgary (asides from Performance cycle & auto) that does that?
    Walt Healy will do a dyno break in for you if you choose that way.

but unless your a racer... just do it as per the manual.

My Ride
    04 G35 Coupe 07 Yamaha R1 08 GSXR 600

Manual is bullshit

Ride it like you stole it! No redline till 12 km and then go nuts!

My Ride
    98 Subaru & 06 ZX10R

Originally posted by 3clips3
    Manual is bullshit

Ride it like you stole it! No redline till 12 km and then go nuts!
    Agreed! the bike is built for high rpms so ride the fuck out of it!

My Ride
    90Laser/eclipse

there was a post the other day on breaking in bikes and other motors
    buddy was saying taking it up to red line is great for setting the rings
    im 2 lazy to search but you can if u want

My Ride

Thanks guys. I'll let him know.

My Ride
    your mom

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast