Quantcast
need help PLASMA TV: 1080 resolution... is it worth it? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: need help PLASMA TV: 1080 resolution... is it worth it?

My Ride
    **SEQUOIA**

Default need help PLASMA TV: 1080 resolution... is it worth it?

Hey electronics gurus,

I am currently looking at buying a 50" Hitachi Plasma that has the 1080 capability -

is 1080 a good resolution? would it be a selling point for a plasma TV? VS a 760 or whatever

I have been told that Samsung, LG, Sony, ETC do not have a 1080 plasma yet

any thoughts?

PS: is this a good TV to buy?
    http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.proc...ed.HIT+P50H401
    if not, what would you buy?

thanks for the help folks

My Ride
    Merc W203, 2006 Honda FG

Are you talking about 1080p? Because pretty much all HDTV's at the moment are 720p/1080i, which is perfectly fine. Most people can't tell the difference between the two (1080i vs 1080p), especially on anything smaller than the size you are talking about at 50". The price point at the moment doesnt justify the minimal difference between the two IMO.
    Last edited by Ogpogo; 04-22-2007 at 08:07 PM.

FS: Black 2006 Civic w/extras! Click the pictures for more information~

That tv isnt true 1080p. The resolution is 1280x1080. That model will accept a 1080p signal and downscale it to 1080i. A true 1080p tv should have a resolution of 1920x1080. The Hitachis arnt bad but I find the panasonics to be a much better set as far as color accuracy is concerned. Hitachis always seem to have problems with greens, they end up being really neon. Most chains in Calgary have that model so go take a look at it and decide for yourself though.

My Ride
    **SEQUOIA**

Originally posted by Ogpogo
    Are you talking about 1080p? Because pretty much all HDTV's at the moment are 720p/1080i, which is perfectly fine. Most people can't tell the difference between the two (1080i vs 1080p), especially on anything smaller than the size you are talking about at 50". The price point at the moment doesnt justify the minimal difference between the two IMO.
    yeah I am talking about 1080p, thanks for clarifying.
    I am under the impression that 1080p is "new" technology right? I was told that the Hitachi and Sony and Pioneer's were the only ones that had 1080p's out.

Originally posted by lamp_shade_2000
    That tv isnt true 1080p. The resolution is 1280x1080. That model will accept a 1080p signal and downscale it to 1080i. A true 1080p tv should have a resolution of 1920x1080. The Hitachis arnt bad but I find the panasonics to be a much better set as far as color accuracy is concerned. Hitachis always seem to have problems with greens, they end up being really neon. Most chains in Calgary have that model so go take a look at it and decide for yourself though.
    I was under the impression it was true 1080p tv. I think my big thing is that I do not want to buy old technology.

Which panasonic would you recommend? I would be looking to spend < 3k for the thing..

thanks for the help guys

My Ride
    Schwinn 21 speed....

Ever think about going to a LCD its much more common these days to find a 1080P LCD than a plasma and at a good price. I just purchased a Samsung 5296D 52" 1080P LCD and it looks amazing!

My Ride
    **SEQUOIA**

Originally posted by Sailz
    Ever think about going to a LCD its much more common these days to find a 1080P LCD than a plasma and at a good price. I just purchased a Samsung 5296D 52&quot; 1080P LCD and it looks amazing!
    pm'd

keep the comments coming

thanks!

Definatley easier to find a 1080p lcd. Price will be a little more but thats what it takes to get into a true 1080p set. If you dont mind going 46" lcd, you can get a pretty decent price.

My Ride

If your not hooking a PC up to it, don't worry about it.. if your hooking a PC up to it for sure, get the 1080p input and make sure that the vga/hdmi input can handle 1920x1080. I run a media center on my 1080p set and its awesome.. love it.
    Click here to check out my racing sim...

Originally posted by GQBalla
    tictactoe2004 you are scary

My Ride
    Acura TL, 2016 Yamaha FZ-07

What application are you going to use your tv for? If you plan on using it for gaming, I suggest you stay away from plasma. I reccommend you getting an LCD 1080P instead as the lifespan of LCD's are far better than plasma tv's, even with new Plasma tv's going out with new technology to stretch the life of the tv.

I have a Sony Bravia with 1080P capabilities and it's amazing.

My Ride
    **SEQUOIA**

Originally posted by JordanAndrew
    What application are you going to use your tv for? If you plan on using it for gaming, I suggest you stay away from plasma. I reccommend you getting an LCD 1080P instead as the lifespan of LCD's are far better than plasma tv's, even with new Plasma tv's going out with new technology to stretch the life of the tv.

I have a Sony Bravia with 1080P capabilities and it's amazing.

ya i hear ya man, I would be looking for the TV to perform movies and tv only

I don't have any need/desire to hook up any sort of gaming system to it whatsoever

Bravia is nice , a bit outta my budget tho

My Ride

Originally posted by canadian_hustla

I don't have any need/desire to hook up any sort of gaming system to it whatsoever

Do you plan to buy it and pay it in one go or would you be ok with 12, 24 or 36 month installments? If you are ok with paying monthly installments, Futureshop and Best Buy are pretty good with that kind of deals.

You can also do a down payment of however much you want and pay the rest in installments. That's what I did for my TV. I always tell people to get top of the line stuff whenever possible. If you're gonna spend thousands of dollars for a TV, you might as well get one of the best. Think about it. I pay a monthly rate of $50 for my tv basically. It's like getting a full tank of Premium gas and I do that once a week.

My Ride

When it comes to 1080p ff your using it for TV and movie's only, at the size you're looking at you'd have to have an amazing source and be fairly close to notice a difference thats worth paying for. Get 720p, Check Soundsaround now and then for a good deal on a pioneer elite, if not pioneer elite, look for a good panasonic model at another dealer. Hitachi made great CRT RPTV, but their LCD/Plasma's are nothing special, by no means bad, but nothing special.

My Ride
    Mitsubishi Lancer GTS 08

Originally posted by JordanAndrew

Do you plan to buy it and pay it in one go or would you be ok with 12, 24 or 36 month installments? If you are ok with paying monthly installments, Futureshop and Best Buy are pretty good with that kind of deals.

keep in mind with the 24+ month equal payments, there is a 100$ admin fee.. after that.. as long as you make your payments monthly .. there is no interest on your purchase
    .. i actually did the same thing with my new laptop/camera.. total cost me over 2.5grand.. and i put it on a "don't pay anything for 12 months" and with that, there was a admin fee of 59.99, which is fine.. cuz i don't have to pay a cent till the 12 months is done...

Originally posted by Sailz
    Ever think about going to a LCD its much more common these days to find a 1080P LCD than a plasma and at a good price. I just purchased a Samsung 5296D 52&quot; 1080P LCD and it looks amazing!
    What made you choose the samsung over the sharp aquos? I've been looking at both of them and can't choose.

My Ride
    **SEQUOIA**

"Samsung 5296D 52" 1080P LCD"

is like 4k+ here
    unless anyone has an idea where to get it for cheaper

My Ride
    STi

&quot;Samsung 5296D 52&quot; 1080P LCD&quot;

is like 4k+ here
    unless anyone has an idea where to get it for cheaper
    yeah i was about to buy that yesterday but bought the 46" inch instead. same goodies (1080p, 10,000 :1 contrast, low response timing, hdmi, etc...). payments would be 1 grand more if i went for 6 inches larger to the 52"... cant really justify that.
    samsung and sharp aquos LCD's FTW imo.
    visions is a good place to start the shopping. tip.. tell them to that you'll pay cash.

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

HDTV is only broadcast in 720p so that's irrelevant. So what are you using for a 1080p source? The only things that exist putting out that resolution are a HD DVD player or a Bluray player like a PS3. Do you have either or plan on getting one? If not then there's no point in buying something with a HD input if you don't have anything giving a HD output.
    Originally posted by Go4Long
    or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
    you do realize this is the internet right? lol
    Originally posted by rob the knob
    mar, you are good guy at heart
    you must realize your limitations
    then you will be happy if you fine place in live
    Originally posted by blitz
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

My Ride

Originally posted by beyondpinoy

keep in mind with the 24+ month equal payments, there is a 100$ admin fee.. after that.. as long as you make your payments monthly .. there is no interest on your purchase
    .. i actually did the same thing with my new laptop/camera.. total cost me over 2.5grand.. and i put it on a &quot;don't pay anything for 12 months&quot; and with that, there was a admin fee of 59.99, which is fine.. cuz i don't have to pay a cent till the 12 months is done...
    Meh, it still worked out for me, in fact I told the salesman to knock off that admin fee as well so all he did was take that $100 off the price of the TV, problem solved. It works best if you know the sales people.

Anyways, what is your budget at the moment canadian hustla? I might be able to get you a deal. All legit of coarse.

My Ride

Originally posted by Mar
    The only things that exist putting out that resolution are a HD DVD player or a Bluray player like a PS3.
    HTPC puts out 1080p, and thats where the resolution matters.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Are you sure that TV has real 1080p output as well as input capability? I didn't know Hitachi had a 1080p 50" plasma.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast