Quantcast
First DSLR - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: First DSLR

Originally posted by Spike_16v
    Ok, so right now it's between the D80, and the 30D.

I'm leaning towards the D80. The question I have is should I get the 18-70 kit, 18-135 kit or the body and the 55-200 VR lense.
    The 18-70 is built a little better, but doesn't have as much range and in a lens like that the build quality isn't all that different. I went with the 18-135, both lenses are apparently very sharp and get good reviews. Regardless of what you buy, almost right away you will be wanting another one =).

Between the 30D and D80 I would definitely take the D80, and it's a little cheaper too. Buying just the body and 55-200vr makes your widest angle about 75mm equivalent on a 35mm camera. If I were you, I would get the 18-70, and then make your next lens the 70-300VR, that lens is only $589 and is absolutely outstanding. Then pick up a SB-600 flash when your ready and you will have a hell of a system covering a large range for a very reasonable price of approximately $2000 total.

dont take another person's opinion on a nikon camera just because they say so. Goto thecamerastore and try out both cameras before you do that.

I'm about 90% confident you'll be wanting the 30D when it's all said and done. I could have gotten my 30d body brand new for 900 american.

My Ride
    Hatred

Yeah if you go and check out "The Camera Store" they are as helpful as a forum full of camera enthusiasts those guys are really knowledgable and can help set you up with the perfect camera for you.
    -U

My Ride
    90 GTI 16v

Thanks again for all the help.
    I went with the 30D with the 18-55 kit lense, and a EF-D 55-200.
    In the end I spent way more then I first wanted to, but it's only money. Now I just need to meet some of you pros and learn your tricks.

good choice! who did you end up buying it from? i only ask since I know a few american stores that sell them in the $900 range. You'll likely not use that 18-55mm kit lens that long. Once you see the power of a Canon L type lens you'll never want to use it again. I only used my 18-55mm for the first week while i was waiting for my 24-70mm 2.8 L lens to get here.

And for what it's worth if you want a really good lens for shots I highly suggest that 24-70mm 2.8 L lens. It is a bit expensive but worth every single penny.

My Ride
    90 GTI 16v

I bought it from Bestbuy. They had it on for 1399 plus the 150 rebate. The 55-200 was $100 off with the purchase, and I got a HP Photosmart D5069 for $20.

So far after 50 pointless shots, I'm shocked how much better the pics look compared to my a610.

My Ride
    2010 GMC Sierra, Rocky ETSX-70

Originally posted by Spike_16v
    So far after 50 pointless shots, I'm shocked how much better the pics look compared to my a610.
    lol, that will wear off quickly, when you start taking more pictures and learning more about your camera your pictures will improve greatly. I find that looking back at some of my first pics that they were pretty bad, lol. Have fun with your new camera.

My Ride
    03 Monte Carlo SS

Congrats on your purchase, and welcome to the world of never ending "gotta get one of those" lenses, accessory, camera bag, tripod.. LOL Looks like you got a really nice deal (with all the discounts etc) all around which is good.

Once you have gotten your feet wet for a while start researching an "L" lens that will cover what you are looking for (either scenery, portraits, or longer away shots). The colour and overall quality of your photos will be much better.

If you are going to be down at the track snapping photos of the CMRA races then I highly recommend the EF 70-200mm f4/L. It is one of the cheapest L quality lenses you can get and will really fit the type of shooting you will be doing. There are plenty of people that will back up this lens!

Have fun and practice practice practice
    Somebody gonna getta hurt real bad..

Two lenses you can buy and you'll be set for most situations...

24-70mm 2.8 L
    70-200mm 2.8 L

I'd suggest buying the 2.8L over the 4L lens. A little more money but it's worth it. Just goto the camerastore store sometime and ask them if you can just try it out in the store, you'll like it lol. it's heavy but damn nice.

My Ride
    Tiburon, Hachiroku, AE92 GT-S, Sonata

I would personally suggest the EF-S 17-55 IS lens instead of the 24-70. I sold my 24-70 soon after I got the 17-55 as I found it to be a much better lens in all respects except for the build quality. (Which isn't shabby either)

hmm not sure why you say that because I would say the exact opposite. i wasn't impressed with the fact the 17-55 tends to vignette a bit at the corners and overall the 24-70mm was taking photos that were sharper. Not to mention the fact I don't buy EF-S lenses especially now that i'm using a 5d lol.

My Ride
    2010 GMC Sierra, Rocky ETSX-70

Originally posted by imola_dreams
    hmm not sure why you say that because I would say the exact opposite. i wasn't impressed with the fact the 17-55 tends to vignette a bit at the corners and overall the 24-70mm was taking photos that were sharper. Not to mention the fact I don't buy EF-S lenses especially now that i'm using a 5d lol.
    24mm is fine on a 5D but on a smaller sensor like the XTi or 30D it is still quite wide. The 17-55 will be a much better fit for those wide angle requirements. I find even at 18mm with my Nikon D70s its just not wide enough at times.

My Ride
    WRX STI

I have the nikon D40. I love it! 6.1 mp. Great camera to learn on. Shows diagrams and such on the led screen to show and teach you what the camera is doing. Let me know if u want a few sample pics.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2