Quantcast
Calgary Flames Name New Head Coach - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Calgary Flames Name New Head Coach

Originally posted by heavyD
    I'm not a big fan of Keenan but the last time he coached a talented team they won the cup. The Flames should win the NW and be a cup contender.

BTW: No need to feel sorry for us Canuck fans. Flames are a better team with Keenan behind the bench. While the Canucks scratch and claw for 8th spot the Flames will be chasing the Presidents Trophy.
    ROFL....yeah..and take a look at his record SINCE then!!
    8 out of 9 years he's been below .500, 4 times missed playoffs, and twice going out in the first round. And 6 of those years he was replaced mid-season. What does that tell you about his effectiveness?

The minute Mike feels a power struggle, both the team and the fans lose. Remember when he and Brett Hull werent getting along. on and off the ice. THen Keenan benched Hull..and that was pretty much IT for his St Louis Days. Every team since the '94 Rangers, (When Vancouver took them to game 7) It was the same story. Come in..bang some heads..win a few games..then downhill from there. My prediction: Two years tops with Calgary before the fans finally scream loud enough to get him fired.
    Ted Nolan..now THERE's a player's coach!! Calgary would do awesome with him.
    But...good luck Calgary. Looking for another good rivalry this coming year.
    Last edited by Maddog55; 06-15-2007 at 08:48 AM.

My Ride
    W213

Originally posted by Maddog55

ROFL....yeah..and take a look at his record SINCE then!!
    8 out of 9 years he's been below .500, 4 times missed playoffs, and twice going out in the first round.

The minute Mike feels a power struggle, both the team and the fans lose. Remember when he and Brett Hull werent getting along. on and off the ice. THen Keenan benched Hull..and that was pretty much IT for his St Louis Days. Every team since the '94 Rangers, (When Vancouver took them to game 7) It was the same story. Come in..bang some heads..win a few games..then downhill from there. My prediction: Two years tops with Calgary before the fans finally scream loud enough to get him fired.
    Ted Nolan..now THERE's a player's coach!! Calgary would do awesome with him.
    But...good luck Calgary. Looking for another good rivalry this coming year.
    Maybe he is a short term fix. But its something we need when the Flames team now is not likely going to look the same after next season (although I think its do-able to keep all the core players). So the point is it get the most out of the best team we've had on ice in many years.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Remember when he and Brett Hull werent getting along. on and off the ice. THen Keenan benched Hull..and that was pretty much IT for his St Louis Days. .
    Brett Hull was hardly the poster boy for hard work and dedication (often came to camp overweight) and it's no surprised that a coach that demands a hard work ethic and him wouldn't get along.

The Canucks, Bruins, & Panthers weren't good teams and in fact the Bruins & Panthers have been no better without him so I don't think you can pin those on him.

I don't love Keenan but I stand by the fact that the last time he had a talented team he won the cup. This can only be an improvement over last year as the Flames still made the playoffs despite not playing hard most nights. Unlike the Canucks overall talent is not an issues for the Flames. If they start playing hard again the sky is the limit for this club.

Originally posted by heavyD

Brett Hull was hardly the poster boy for hard work and dedication (often came to camp overweight) and it's no surprised that a coach that demands a hard work ethic and him wouldn't get along.
    I see your thinking, D...but the three years Keenan was there, Hull lead the team in scoring and points. Hull did have his problems. But Keenan's handling of the situation didn't solve the problem. It only got him fired. 6 out of 9 years he gets fired/replaced mid season???
    He better come up with some pretty impressive short term stats for Calgary in that case.

My Ride
    W213

I see your thinking, D...but the three years Keenan was there, Hull lead the team in scoring and points. Hull did have his problems. But Keenan's handling of the situation didn't solve the problem. It only got him fired. 6 out of 9 years he gets fired/replaced mid season???
    He better come up with some pretty impressive short term stats for Calgary in that case.
    But that goes both ways. He's been the major corner stone for the development of some top players before.

Pronger, Thornton, Cujo etc.

In Sutter we trust! Playfair got us to the playoffs, Keenan will get us to the cup.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3