Quantcast
Body Shop replaced the DRIVER's door on my car, Destroyed the ID LABELS! What to DO? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Body Shop replaced the DRIVER's door on my car, Destroyed the ID LABELS! What to DO?

Angry Body Shop replaced the DRIVER's door on my car, Destroyed the ID LABELS! What to DO?

Hi guys,

I know some 'legal' people are lurking these forums. Recently I had Hallmark Auto Body in Calgary, Alberta, replace my door that someone had reversed into. They put on a brand new GM door, all is good, EXCEPT

They disposed the old door but did not give me back the labels in the door that was verbally promised to be returned to me. I am now missing the VIN, Barcode, Date of Manufacture, where it was made, colour codes, etc, from my door and they aren't doing anything about it except an apology. Do I need this in my door? What legal standing do I have if any? Another concern is that this information is around somewhere for someone to steal! What do I DO?

Thanks!

My Ride
    pedals

the vin number should be stamped on the actual chassis somewhere. typically on the dash near the windshield.

Originally posted by hjr
    the vin number should be stamped on the actual chassis somewhere. typically on the dash near the windshield.
    That's not the question. I have the VIN there, but I am more interested in seeing if the door labels are a legal requirement as they pertain important information about the car.

Some cars in the US are being destroyed due to missing labels, stolen parts, street racing etc. I don't want this to happen to me.

he answered your question...the VIN of the vehicle is stamped into a few other locations on the chassis

what 'bad' choppers will do is try to swap over a good titled VIN to a stolen car's chassis, in the noticable spots (like the door, dash)...and then register it using the new VIN

at some point later, when the other (more hidden) chassis VINs are checked (for some reason?) and do not match the registration VIN, then there is a problem

this is obviously not the case with yours

if you are concerned of having the GVW decal on the door, i'm pretty sure GMC will have one through the parts counter, or 'make' the autobody shop find you one from another car, and affix it

Originally posted by JustinGTP

That's not the question. I have the VIN there, but I am more interested in seeing if the door labels are a legal requirement as they pertain important information about the car.

Some cars in the US are being destroyed due to missing labels, stolen parts, street racing etc. I don't want this to happen to me.
    Last edited by jersturbo; 06-29-2007 at 12:35 AM.

My Ride
    335i

I'd call GM tomorrow and see if they can provide you with that information and then ask Hallmark to cover the costs (if any).
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

Originally posted by jersturbo
    he answered your question
    No, my two questions were, as I quote,

1.Do I need this in my door?

2.What legal standing do I have if any?

I need to know if the labels that were thrown out from the door are to be a legal requirement on my car. I was just pointing out that those labels had a vin, barcode, colour, date of manfacture, location of manufacture, etc.

My Ride
    is probably sh*tier than urs

i say the kaminari kit looks so clean imo or just some cf lips all round

but i guess those are more lips than anything haha
    You can technically get a ticket for each window that's illegally tinted. So as above, if you're being an ass to the officer (or if he's just an ass to begin with), he can give you two. (or three tickets if you're dumb enough to tint the windshield of your BMW... but if you own a BMW you can't be stupid right?)
    Originally posted by RoseLover

Any penny you have to work hard to get, you will consider as "cheapness"...if you hate people from overseas...why you stay in North America!

Originally posted by sh0ko

??

Wrong thread bud.

My Ride
    Miller

I know Toyota can replace the data tag, not sure what the procedure is for GM.

i agree

asked ~ argue

posted ~ replied

I need to know if the labels that were thrown out from the door are to be a legal requirement on my car. I was just pointing out that those labels had a vin, barcode, colour, date of manfacture, location of manufacture, etc.

If you give the VIN to a dealership they'll be able to pull up all the info that was on the tag plus more.

My Ride
    Dodge Magnum RT

I need to know if the labels that were thrown out from the door are to be a legal requirement on my car. I was just pointing out that those labels had a Vin, bar code, colour, date of manufacture, location of manufacture, etc.
    There is nothing in the law that requires these labels. All the information on these labels is also listed in other areas on the car or owners manual. Also look under the rear seat and you should find the line sheet for the car. Some labels can not be reproduced but the ones on the door can be.

Most of the info on your labels is also contained in your owners manual or you can have a GM dealer print out your info sheet from the serial number and just keep it in the glove box.

My Ride
    2 Hump Camel

Fuck calm down first of all, you act like its the end of the world. Geez.

My Ride
    SlowBalt

Yes just go to a GM dealer and go to the parts department and they can order you a new one...

My Ride
    Lexus

as far i experieced those stickers can't be remove easily. even if u had the door, u would have destroyed it anyways.

Those stickers are not made to be removed and trying will almost always destroy them. They are not required by law and (at least for domestics) and cannot be replaced. They are a one time only thing from the factory when the vehicle was built. Don't sweat it, the world won't end just because the labels are gone. Go down to your local GM parts dept. and have them give you a copy of the RPO codes. They have ALL the info of the vehicle build and put that in your glove box.
    '08.5 Mazda 3
    '90 Laser RS-T
    '07 Yamaha R6

...you're welcome

Originally posted by jersturbo
    ...you're welcome
    You're cocky and rude and should stop posting in my thread. You haven't even answered my question and you are just being negative.

However, thanks to everyone else who joined in positively. I talked to GM and they can't get the door labels. I know about some of the information in teh trunk, but I am just missing the date of manufacture and bla bla. Not a huge deal to me. As for them to be removed, they said they would cut it out of the door.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast