Quantcast
Need more guitar discussion - Page 64 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 64 of 119 FirstFirst ... 54 63 64 65 74 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,280 of 2368

Thread: Need more guitar discussion

My Ride
    '08 F150: 1956 Olds Super 88

The surgery appears to be a success. Patient is resting. Will take her out and stretch her legs tomorrow.
    I couldn't turn it up too much because kiddo was sleeping by the time I got finished wiring, but from what I can tell, it sounds good. Might not even need new tubes or a new speaker too badly right now.

Tubed were biased way too cold, and the tone stack was fucking useless. Sounded like an icepick before, and sounds full and warm now. Not bad at all for $60 + 1 hour of work.
    Founding member of the Leave-Me-Alone-atarian party of Canada.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

TKRIS, flipstah: you guys figure out what you want from GFS yet? I'm thinking maybe make the order next week sometime. you guys cool with that?

My Ride

GFS is supposed to have a new website coming later this month with some new stuff on it.
    They got the pickup set I want back in stock, but they're still out of stock on a couple other things (pedal tuner, etc).

Jay's said they've got a bunch of new stuff coming out later in the summer, so I'll probably hold off on placing a big order for now, since I'm not heading down to Calgary in the forceable future.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by TKRIS
    GFS is supposed to have a new website coming later this month with some new stuff on it.
    They got the pickup set I want back in stock, but they're still out of stock on a couple other things (pedal tuner, etc).

Jay's said they've got a bunch of new stuff coming out later in the summer, so I'll probably hold off on placing a big order for now, since I'm not heading down to Calgary in the forceable future.
    New stuff eh? I'll wait out for that. I'm not in a rush.

Sorry, D'z Nutz!

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

No worries. I'm not in that much of a rush either. If they have new stuff coming out, I'll wait until then at least. Even if I make an order in the short term, I'll likely be making another one later on during the summer too. I originally had a bigger order, but it got smaller and smaller until it ended up just being a few items.

My Ride
    XT6

Looking to get into a basic guitar setup and was wondering whether anyone here could provide some advice.

I went to Guitarworks and talked with Tim who priced me out the following items:

- Ibanez SAS36FM: $720
    - Line 6 Spider IV (15 Watt): $139
    - Soft bag: $50
    - Cable: $45
    - Tuner: $28

The sales guy seemed a bit sketchy so I told him that I was going to do some research and get back to him. Went onto Axe Music and the same guitar was listed for $559 + a free gift.

Besides that though, I think the 30 watt would be a good upgrade, but was curious if anyone had any input on this setup for a beginner?

My Ride

Presuming that's your budget: Less guitar, more amp, IMO.
    If you're going to drop $1k, get a good tube amp. As far as super cheap practice amps go, I suppose that Line 6 will work, but it's really not very good, and you'll outgrow it quickly. Your amp is the biggest part of your sound as far as gear goes. A no name Chinese knock off with $60 invested in pickups will sound killer through a good amp. A vintage '59 Les Paul will still sound shitty (comparatively) through a Line 6 Spider, or a Marshall MG, or some such other entry level garbage.
    IMO, it's foolish to spend that kind of money on a new guitar, then buy a little POS modeling amp.
    I also thinks it's a little foolish to buy guitars and amps new, but that's me.

You can get an excellent guitar for less than $500. You can get an excellent used guitar that will last you forever for less than $300. I just bought another kick ass guitar, and payed less than $200 shipped.

If you're set on spending that kind of money (which is way more than you need to get a really nice rig to start with), then invest in a good amplifier. And if you're not going to be playing gigs or jamming with a drummer, a 5watt tube amp is MORE than enough for playing in your house. I just bought another 5 watt tube amp, and it's great, but I still rarely turn it up past ~5 so I don't bug everyone else in the house. My 50 Watt is just stupid loud for bedroom playing.

Here's what I'd look at:
    Small, reputable tube amp:
    Blackheart Little Giant will cover a lot of ground, especially if you get a couple pedals to put in front of it. Should be able to pick up either a mini stack or a combo for ~$400 brand new.
    Less money on a guitar. Guitar choice is pretty individual, but there's a TON out there for ~$350. Keep an eye on kijiji if you're willing to consider used.
    That leaves money for strings and a strap. Once you're on your way and start to understand what you want and what you like to play, you'll have enough left over for a couple pedals.

Any salesman who's going to advocate you spend $500-$800 on a guitar, and buy a Line 6 Spider amp, either doesn't give a shit about helping you, or is a moron.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

If you're willing to go used, see if this guy's still got any of his guitars:
    http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-s...dIdZ184244049#

My Ride
    XT6

^^ Thanks for the advice. TKRIS.

I agree the guitar is probably more expense then I need, but I fell in love with the looks, color, and versatility of the setup.

I will look into tube amps as well, probably picking something up today at Axe.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Originally posted by D'z Nutz
    I'd be all up on that.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Tube amps are really where it's at, IMO. I regret selling my Mesa Boogie, there is just something to it that can't be replicated in a peddle or simulator amp/POD.

Kris, did you end up getting that Blackheart? I was looking around for an amp awhile ago but quickly got side tracked with school and forgot about pursuing it.
    Ultracrepidarian

FYI guys I did put my guitar up for sale and dropped to price close to what Long and McQuade would give me (almost %50 of what I paid and it’s in mint condition). I’d rather sell it privately than to them so if anyone is interested, this is a limited time offer before I get rid of it the easy way. Just a heads up in this thread.

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/290034/fs...series-guitar/

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Originally posted by Chandler_Racing
    ^^ Thanks for the advice. TKRIS.

I agree the guitar is probably more expense then I need, but I fell in love with the looks, color, and versatility of the setup.

I will look into tube amps as well, probably picking something up today at Axe.
    Also check out Kickaxe in Inglewood. It's a small family owned business with *great* service. Sign up for lessons and you get 10% off store purchases. Depending on how much you spend, it could basically work out to the equivalent of getting free lessons with the purchase of a guitar.

Originally posted by Graham_A_M

I'd be all up on that.
    Just out of curiosity I emailed him to see what he has.

My Ride

No, haven't pulled the trigger on a Blackheart yet. I'm thinking of selling my Kustom, but if I do, it'll likely be to fund another build. I've got 4 amps and 7 guitars at the moment, and I'm pushing the limits of my wife's good nature...

My Ride

Originally posted by BigMass
    FYI guys I did put my guitar up for sale and dropped to price close to what Long and McQuade would give me (almost %50 of what I paid and it’s in mint condition).[/url]
    Yeah I just sold them back my David Eden "Metro" combo bass amp.. Man I got raped. I paid $1600 new for it 2 years ago, sold it to them for $550, still in mint.
    I can see their point though, nobody is buying these ostentatious amps anymore... and frick that thing was a heavy beast.

Ah well. Traded that plus cash (and my wireless unit) for my F-bass. (its the 5 string one).

*Extremely* happy with the Fbass. Hand made in Hamilton Ont. I bought it slightly used for $1500 even. Not bad for a $3800 bass new. It plays like a frickin' dream. I cannot put into words. I'd be happy to pay the full price for it
    Well I'm done with the bass shopping for a very long time. Two kick-ass lefty basses and I'm quite happy.
    Last edited by Graham_A_M; 02-07-2010 at 01:10 PM.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Originally posted by D'z Nutz
    Haha I emailed the guy and all he's got left are strats:

I still have 4 strats left .mostly clones 125 to 150 and .I also have a fernandez ( japanese strat)and an american strat

My Ride

^ I would be very interested in the American Strat if nothing else.

just picked up this *mint* used hagstrom swede reissue. it still had the price sticker on the back (but it was ripped off, so you couldn't read the price). I paid $375 for this and the case. As i understand it, swede reissues sell for $500-$600 or so, although i've never actually seen one in a store so i can't be sure. i was looking at an Ibanez ART 100 though, which was $350 without case, and this is by far a superior guitar. do you guys think i paid an ok price for this?

here are the pics the seller sent me:

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

click for larger version

click for larger version

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

I think you paid a great price! My Swede plays soooo much better than my Epi LP Studio (both feel and sound).

OK, i've decided that i need a new amp - a practice amp. i've got a Fender M80 that i got back in probably 1995, which was great for gigging when i was younger but is far too loud for my condo building... i have the volume, treb, mid, bass turned down as far as they can go without cutting out, and it's still far too loud for this place. can you guys recommend a high quality, but cheap amp?

i haven't really played much electric since about 1997 or so. i went to university and became enthralled with acoustic playing... aggressive/angry folk like dylan's first album. i'm just getting back into electric and obviously this amp doesn't suit my current needs!

EDIT: Oh, and btw this hagstrom swede is by far the best electric i've ever owned. not saying much, since my electrics were an early 90s ibanez RX, and a BAD '70s gibson explorer copy, but this thing fucking rocks. seriously, it plays like a > $1k guitar! IMO

Page 64 of 119 FirstFirst ... 54 63 64 65 74 ... LastLast