Quantcast
Help!!! Computer Gurus - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Help!!! Computer Gurus

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Default Help!!! Computer Gurus

I have Windows XP Professional installed on one of my old computers. Everytime I turn the computer on it runs through it's start up but then goes to a screen saying

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
    \windows\system32\config\system

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the originial Setup CD-Rom. Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair."

I read that as saying I need to toss the windows xp cd-rom into the cd drive so that it can boot from it on start-up. Only problem is that it won't boot from the CD. I have the BIOS set so that the CD-Rom boots before the Hardrive but everytime I restart the computer with the windows cd in it won't boot from it. I unplugged the hard drive and booted up again and I got the same error message. This is telling me that the problem is occuring before the computer even gets to booting from devices. How could there be a windows error message without the Harddrive plugged in!?!?

I'm sooo confused! Someone help!

My Ride
    L-Tuned

That error message refers to one of the system hives for the registry. You can attempt to restore it since the system does keep an older copy as backup. Using the CD, you'd have to go to the repair options and get to a command prompt (or use any other method ie, boot from another hard drive.) Go to the directory stated and try to restore the older copy and reboot. If that doesn't work, rename it to something like sytem.bak and reboot so the system can recreate that file. When you boot, it'll start detecting all of your hardware again. At least it wasn't your software hive that went...or else you'd have to reinstall all of your software. If you made an emergency repair disk, your life would be a lot easier.