Quantcast
LED Light bulbs? - Page 25 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 25 of 38 FirstFirst ... 15 24 25 26 35 ... LastLast

Thread: LED Light bulbs?

Originally posted by HiSpec

Good thing I saw this. I was going to change the flourscent tubes in my garage to LED over summer. Not gonna happen if it's same lumens and life span.
    Biggest difference is price though, the LED T8's at Home Depot were at $12 while the fluorescent T8's were at either $16 or $17. So initial cost savings plus continued cost savings should make LED T8's a no brainer.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by speedog

Biggest difference is price though, the LED T8's at Home Depot were at $12 while the fluorescent T8's were at either $16 or $17. So initial cost savings plus continued cost savings should make LED T8's a no brainer.
    Two-pack of fluorescents are $12, single's of LED are $12 as well.

Bought the Phillips LED's, noticeably dimmer at only 2100 lumens (vs 2800 fluorescents), took them back, would not recommend.

I think I might convert them all to the LED workshop light from Costco. We have one at work, and it's pretty decent light output at 4000 lumens. See if they go on sale anytime soon as I need 9 of them, minimum.

Look at them energy prices.

3 Canadian cents per kwh, and Alberta one of the last places in North America to switch over to high-efficiency lighting.

Crazy. I guess we now get to enjoy the fruits of putting all that money into energy infrastructure.
    Cocoa $11,000 per tonne.

Originally posted by ZenOps
    Look at them energy prices.

3 Canadian cents per kwh, and Alberta one of the last places in North America to switch over to high-efficiency lighting.

Crazy. I guess we now get to enjoy the fruits of putting all that money into energy infrastructure.
    You say Alberta is one of the last places, please provide your backing documentation to support your claim.

Originally posted by speedog

You say Alberta is one of the last places, please provide your backing documentation to support your claim.
    Don't need to, the vast majority of the US is at 12 US cents per kwh right now. The natural high price of electricity very quickly force people to adopt efficient computers/lighting/etc much faster than those with cheap electricity.

Even with a solid decade of energy conservation, Los Angeles had tipped over 20 US cents per kwh.

https://www.bls.gov/regions/west/new...losangeles.htm

Efficiency laws have been mandatory and fineable for years in places like California in everything from cars to lightbulbs to fridges and TV's. Its a little bit transparent to the consumer, but if a fridge manufacturer does not meet efficiency standards, they are simply not allowed to sell the fridge in California (but they absolutely sell that fridge in areas where electricity is abundant and cheap, like Canada)
    Last edited by ZenOps; 04-03-2017 at 11:23 AM.
    Cocoa $11,000 per tonne.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

The NDP still has not announced the details in the Residential Retail Products Program, even tho they said they would release it in March.

Still waiting.
    https://www.efficiencyalberta.ca/residential-retail/
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

Philips now has a 60 watt equivalent that looks exactly like a normal incandescent. It even has a glass enclosure. I bought four, they work great. Perfectly even light dispersal, a first. Not shown on HD's website, nor even Philips'.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Has that NDP communist bullshit changed the price for LED bulbs at all? I heard there was some kind of rebate on them, but like everything the government does, it wasn't clear.

Could use 10-20 to replace some of my older CFL's that are starting to die. Interestingly, I got those from some kind of government program ages ago. Remember when people went door-to-door giving one CFL to each house? I had a buddy doing that, and they ended up just keeping most of the bulbs. I got about 30.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Hybrid

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    Has that NDP communist bullshit changed the price for LED bulbs at all? I heard there was some kind of rebate on them, but like everything the government does, it wasn't clear.
    Greetings comrade ExtraSlow, the energy efficiency rebates from our glorious leader have started to show up on LED bulbs at Costco, Lowes, Canadian Tire, and Home Depot as far as I know. I picked up a bunch of Luminus Elite PAR20s from Costco for $1.33 a piece this weekend.

Apparently it's a gong show at Lowes because there's only certain SKUs that it applies to and the cashiers have to look them up manually in a 5 page binder.
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

$1.33 is a glorious price for this technology. I am thankful to the leaders of our peoples revolution for making such abundance available to my brothers.

Death to all capitalist pigs!
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

How easy is it to resell these to other "have not" provinces for a profit?
    Or am I being too Capitalist?

Originally posted by mr2mike
    You'd have to report your profits on your taxes and those profits will probably have a surtax on them.

You're right.
    Not worth trying to get a head when the NDP will help me survive and live.

My Ride
    Grimace

I noticed at HD that many of the philips bulbs don't have the energy star logo. These ones, though identical in specs to the certain size packs that do, do not have the rebate.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Wow, good timing. Co-op on 16th avenue has these on sale for $0.99 per two-pack after the instant $5 rebate.
    Too bad they are warm white. I think $0.50/bulb is a smoking deal even if these are likely lower quality than some other options. Wonder if other co-op locations have cool white or natural white or any other temperatures?

My Ride
    Bicycle

I was told they are not dimmable either. So I cannot use any of these. NDP better start a EV rebate so I can get my chuck of carbon tax back.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

I waited for this program to launch for a long time. I had been keeping a close eye on it. After it launched, I went ahead and started switching my incandescent bulbs out for the rebated LED's.

Here is my take on it.

I went to my local hardware store first. They're selection wasn't as good as the big box retailers but they were close to my place so I figured I'd give them a try. The rebated bulbs they had on a big display were all 'cool white' which was a colour I was trying to avoid. I ended up finding some Philips LED bulbs for a rebated price of $1.99 each. I took two of them and moved onto a place with better selection.

That brings me to Wal-Mart. I found a fairly good selection there. I ended up with GE bulbs. Two 2 packs, and two 4 packs. The shelving was labelled with the whole Alberta rebate program so I took them to the cashier. What a total disaster that was. She scans the first of the 2 packs and her till says 'redeem coupon'. She then asked me for a coupon and I told her that the bulbs are rebated by the government. All I got from her was a blank stare in response, followed by a display of frustrations and rapid punching of the numbers on her till. She ended up bypassing the coupon prompt and the till displayed the proper rebated amount. After that, she moved onto the 4 packs and there was NO rebate for them. At this point, I didn't want them so I only ended up walking out with two 2 packs that were rebated.

I then moved onto Canadian Tire. My experience here was pleasant. The bulbs were all right there when I walked in. Clearly rebated and labelled correctly. 99 cents each. Went to the cashier and she knew exactly what she was doing. Rang them thru, paid a dirt cheap amount and went home and installed them.

I'm pretty happy overall. I saved almost 60 bucks in total. Still have to get some more to complete my switch to LED tho.

Originally posted by Xtrema
    I was told they are not dimmable either. So I cannot use any of these. NDP better start a EV rebate so I can get my chuck of carbon tax back.
    The bulbs I got at CT all say dimmable on the packaging.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

If I can get daylight colour temp and dimmable bulbs for $0.99, I'm happy. I'll probbaly check out Canadian tire today.

Those ones at Co-op are not dimmable as far as I can tell. Have been to two locations and they didn't have that bulb in a different colour temp at either. Interestingly, the "regular" lightbulb section has no signs or price tags to indicate this rebate. Although, aside froms enior citizens, whoud would buy lightbulbs at co-op anyway?

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

I'm actually pretty pissed. I had no idea these rebates were coming, but knew I had to switch over asap when we took possession of our new house.

$250 to switch over all our bulbs and then they all went on sale for 80-90% less two weeks later.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by mr2mike
    1st you'll need someone need to travel to have not province on their company's dime.

Load up vehicle at 25 packs at a time.

???

Profit

Originally posted by 16hypen3sp
    The bulbs I got at CT all say dimmable on the packaging.
    The ones at Co-Op 2 for $1 are not dimmable. Ended up picked up 8 because I got Co-Op gas coupon expiry soon anyway.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 05-04-2017 at 08:26 AM.

Page 25 of 38 FirstFirst ... 15 24 25 26 35 ... LastLast