Quantcast
Time to buy? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Time to buy?

ecstasy_civic is offline MMA guru, but still rage2's bitch
    My Ride
    08 Si

Default Time to buy?

My fiance and I are looking at buying our first home together, just wondering if I should be waiting or jumping on something soon.

The reason I ask is ive heard totally different opinions from credible people and im wondering if anyone has some advice one way or another.

Thanks.

My Ride
    my bike

This is the 3rd month in a row that median prices have dropped. Nothing substantial, but a step in the right direction for a first time home buyer. If this is a home that you'll be in long term and not a short term investment then go for it.

Originally posted by 98type_r
    If this is a home that you'll be in long term and not a short term investment then go for it.
    Best advice you are going to get. The market could dip way lower and you'll feel a fool for buying too soon, or it will recover and go back up and you'll have lost out on lower prices. Now is not the time for investement properties, but if you're buying a place to live, and can afford the current prices, go for it. There'll never be a "perfect" time, so might as well just do it and be done.

My Ride
    08 Si

We've found a home we can see ourselves in for the next 5-10yrs so I guess thats a good thing. Maybe time to take the plunge

In general does the housing market slow down as Fall/Winter sets in?

If you're buying a home to live in, now is a good time. A home is a long term investment - if you're thinking 5-10 yrs out, you'll be in good shape in the long run.

My Ride
    WRX STI

Dont buy now, it is slowly coming down. The lowest is always around january and febuary in the coldest months. Wait till then.

My Ride
    BMW X5

If its a home you and your fiance are excited about, and could "see yourself living there for 5-10 years", I say go for it.

The decrease in house prices between now and January will be negligible. If you were investing, might be a different story, but if this is going to be your home and a place to build your family, and its right for you, go for it (IMHO)

My Ride
    WRX STI

No one likes to lose money or over pay, investing or not. If your living situation right now is ok, and you can go a little longer i say do that and watch the market closely. No one usually stays in their first home for 5-10 years. You have kids, you want bigger, you want newer, dont like the location any more etc.

My Ride
    O.P.P.

Originally posted by teggypimp95
    Dont buy now, it is slowly coming down. The lowest is always around january and febuary in the coldest months. Wait till then.
    It IS a buyer's market right now yes, but I agree with teggypimp95 - it would probably prove to be more beneficial to hold out for a few more more months. Also when you do start looking, try to check out the FSBO (for sale by owner) houses first as you'll have alot more room to work with when it comes to negotiating prices

BTW I think there are at least 7500 listings in Calgary right now: 4000 or so houses and the rest condos/townhouses. You won't have a problem with choice in a few months as the market's a flooded IMHO, but prices should drop substantially by then......

Originally posted by teggypimp95
    Didn't the price start climbing in January 2007 though? It was falling in the months before though.

To the original OP, it doesn't look like it's the prime time to buy to me, sales are falling and inventory is up. Only a matter of time before the prices will start falling as well as it starts to be more in favor of a buyers market . Since I bought a place for residence in late 2006, I hope it will be a soft landing and not a big correction though as losing money would suck.

An alarming thing is to look at some of rents that some of the placing would be getting.....not even close to what the mortgage and other costs would be. Hard to see the value in a lot of places for sale right now.

My Ride
    08 Si

Thats the reason were looking for a home, I wont pay $1500/month for our condo, its just not worth it.

Thanks for the input, it helps

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by Akagi Redsuns

Didn't the price start climbing in January 2007 though? It was falling in the months before though.

To the original OP, it doesn't look like it's the prime time to buy to me, sales are falling and inventory is up. Only a matter of time before the prices will start falling as well as it starts to be more in favor of a buyers market . Since I bought a place for residence in late 2006, I hope it will be a soft landing and not a big correction though as losing money would suck.

An alarming thing is to look at some of rents that some of the placing would be getting.....not even close to what the mortgage and other costs would be. Hard to see the value in a lot of places for sale right now.
    The past real estate high sale cycle is spring (May June) and fall (Aug, Sep). 2005/06/07 is the exception.

Fall 2006/07 had high prices due to low availability. Since then, people stop moving here due to high prices and new houses has eased demands.

The adjustment is inevitable but it's about 6 months out of my prediction.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

i have been around real estate for quite some time. I think buying a house right now for investment or otherwise at this time is premature. If you want a house to live in, I would wait till february, investment? right now, i would not invest in the market. The market is correcting itself right now, and alot of people are going to loose thier shirts. If our economy can weather the sub prime credit market crash in the states, and the oil fields able to prop up the market even more, the prices should not drop too much more, but the huge growth we have been watching is over. Personally i think there MIGHT be a slight price increase around march/april, i see the markets sliding again soon after. in the not too distant future, i see supply far outweighing demand. From indications and numbers i have seen from other realtors, rent is some places is starting to come down.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    08 Si

Thing is, rent in the buildings around us is jumping every 6months, our neighbor is paying $1800 that lease was just signed 3weeks ago.
    My fiance wants to put in an offer this week, but... im VERY hesitant I really am lost lol

Last edited by kaput; 03-27-2019 at 12:43 AM.

My Ride

Im not a real estate expert but i do track houses on the mlxchange like a hawk. It all comes down to what you would rather have? The perfect place for you? or a place that both you and fiance can make work for the next 5-10 years and you get instant equity when you buy. If you'd prefer the perfect place for you, start looking now and buy when you find it. If you want to make instant cash, wait till around mid to the end of december, find some places that are already good deals and low ball a few people, i'm sure you'll get someone to take a wicked low offer. Usually if people list around christmas it's for a reason other than moving up into a nicer place. By spring you'll already have made some good coin in equity.
    Click here to check out my racing sim...

Originally posted by GQBalla
    tictactoe2004 you are scary

My Ride
    BMW E70

The fall or winter months are generally a good time to buy because you have the more "serious" sellers, not so much anyone who puts a sign on their lawn and if it sells great, if not, no biggie. We see a lot of those in the spring and summer months. Prices are slowly coming down a little bit and this is more of a buyers market. Good, well priced listings are still selling fairly quickly though.

Good Luck!

I don't think people are desparate yet, give them a few months and those that are eating expenses and costs will get frustrated and have to sell much lower rather than bleeding...I think we'll see things decrease even more once the city begins to release more land.

I've heard that the key to long term success is to always buy and never sell. Housing is an inflation proof investment, and if you have a lot of equity you can always leverage against it for quick, low interest cash for investments.

I just bought in March putting only 5% down, and if prices start falling I will be looking to go 50/50 in a property with my parents.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast