Quantcast
Good Martial Arts place? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Good Martial Arts place?

My Ride
    E90 335xi, ZX-10R

Default Good Martial Arts place?

I was wondernig if anyone had any recommendations of a good martial arts place? I did Karate a little when I was young and it was alright, but I was wondering what alternatives I have. I don't really want Tae Kwan Do (sp?) or anything that focuses mainly on kicks (doesn't seem resonable). I'm looking for more hand to hand combat and a good aerobic workout. Someone told me Hup-kee-doe (sp??) was a good one, but I dont know where I can find a place that trains that.. If anyone has any info I would appreciate it. Thanks.

My Ride
    13 Scion FR-S, 11 Mitsu Outlander

I do jiu-jitsu (insert Matrix quote here). It's pretty vicious - it's what the army and rcmp use. I wouldn't say it's as good a cardio workout as kick boxing, but you do sweat. And it doesn't really lend itself well to actual sparing (you can, but half the moves are illegal cause they're too mean).

And you get to learn how to body slam 250 pound guys.

Khyron

My Ride
    '03 S2000

Why don't you try the Japan Karate Association/International Shotokan Karate Federation dojo in the NE - been going there for the last couple of years - good assortment of people and great instruction from one of the leading instructors in the country - Sensei David Jones, 6th dan. They also have a number of satellite dojos in the city that you can go to.

Here's the web site with all the pertinent address and other information:

http://www.iskf-alberta.org/

You can also drop in for a freebie class to try it out - schedule is on the web site. Next weekend Sensei Yaguchi from Denver is here for grading and seminars - something else to jump into or check out.

Reijo

My Ride
    98 sonoma

I would recomend boxing. Its "hand to hand combat" and is a great workout. I plan on going in it very soon.

my buddy was really good at hup ki do or however you spell it. he did kung fu and something else before, but he said to do hup ki do.....
    there is a good club up in silver springs....forget what it is called
    Built not Bought.
    Originally posted by mitsumirage
    the civic will always be just a basic car , poor people will always buy them , its sad but its true

Go for Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Wrestling, Judo, Boxing, Muay Thai

National Jiu Jitsu for Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
    Mike Miles National Kickboxing for Muay Thai/Kickboxing
    U of C for Wrestling
    One of a few boxing gyms in town

There is a 'Canknuckles' place in town that teaches a little bit of everything for MMA (kicking, boxing, wrestling, submission)
    It offers a variety of everything so you are more complete.

DO NOT go to a McDojo that teaches you things like forms/kata, board breaking, classic weapons baton-twirling, it's an utter waste of time, that stuff is nothing but useless rice.
    Kung Fu, TKD, Aikido, Tai Chi, most traditional martial arts=mostly useless.

"Some places teach you martial arts so that you never get into a fight. I'm here to make you an honest man." -Wise person
    "All these years I thought it was power that brought responsibility. It's not. I was wrong. It's responsibility that brings power. It's knowing what needs to be done that brings strength. And courage." - Peter Parker, Earth X

My Ride
    MTA

Tai Chi isn't useless. How's is it useless?? It's great for understanding the body, breathing, relaxation, exercise, meditation, and spiritual insight. I hope you never did tai chi and used it in a fight.

My Ride
    08 GSR

Originally posted by K271
    Tai Chi isn't useless. How's is it useless?? It's great for understanding the body, breathing, relaxation, exercise, meditation, and spiritual insight. I hope you never did tai chi and used it in a fight.

I dunno if you want hand to hand combat do wing chun (dunno if that's how you spell it but in chinese that's how you say it)
    if you don't know what it is, it's on rumble in the bronx with jacky chan where hey starts whaling on that wooden post thing.

My Ride
    E90 335xi, ZX-10R

Thanks for all the great info guys. I have a lot to think about.

Originally posted by K271
    I said it was MOSTLY useless because the guy said....

Originally posted by ExtremeSi
    I'm looking for more hand to hand combat and a good aerobic workout.
    He wants to FIGHT, not meditate, or develop spiritual insight, etc.

Originally posted by V6-BoI

I dunno if you want hand to hand combat do wing chun (dunno if that's how you spell it but in chinese that's how you say it)
    if you don't know what it is, it's on rumble in the bronx with jacky chan where hey starts whaling on that wooden post thing.
    That post thing is a mook jong (sp?), I used to take Wing Chun and all the dummy-banging, chi sao, all the various saos, tan sao, fook sao, gaun sau, etc. and...it doesn't work very well for me.

You should not judge how effective an art is from the fancy stuff you see in a movie. (hitting this dummy really fast, jump spinning split kicks, cartwheel kicks, etc.)
    It's like watching F&F and thinking all the fast cars have spoilers, decals, underglow and flame-shooting exhausts.

You can go with what is flashy (rice) or you can go with what works (performance).
    Wing Chun, TKD, various styles of Kung Fu are flashy.
    Boxing, Wrestling, Muay Thai, BJJ are comparitively boring-looking without all the mystique and movie-flash, but these are the styles that the best hand-to-hand fighters use. They don't do Wing Chun, Tai Chi, TKD, 5 animal Kung Fu, Choy Li Fut, etc.

The most famous student of Wing Chun, Bruce Lee, dropped Wing Chun and chose to switch to BOXING. Does that tell you something? Bruce Lee also stated that "to beat any classical martial artist, take one year of boxing, one year of wrestling and he is yours."
    He was ahead of his time.
    "All these years I thought it was power that brought responsibility. It's not. I was wrong. It's responsibility that brings power. It's knowing what needs to be done that brings strength. And courage." - Peter Parker, Earth X

My Ride
    NC1

Originally posted by mwmhong
    Go for Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Wrestling, Judo, Boxing, Muay Thai

National Jiu Jitsu for Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
    Mike Miles National Kickboxing for Muay Thai/Kickboxing
    U of C for Wrestling
    One of a few boxing gyms in town

There is a 'Canknuckles' place in town that teaches a little bit of everything for MMA (kicking, boxing, wrestling, submission)
    It offers a variety of everything so you are more complete.

DO NOT go to a McDojo that teaches you things like forms/kata, board breaking, classic weapons baton-twirling, it's an utter waste of time, that stuff is nothing but useless rice.
    Kung Fu, TKD, Aikido, Tai Chi, most traditional martial arts=mostly useless.

"Some places teach you martial arts so that you never get into a fight. I'm here to make you an honest man." -Wise person
    I like the parallel you've drawn between cars and martial arts!! haha

'that stuff is nothing but useless rice'
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    08 GSR

Originally posted by mwmhong

The most famous student of Wing Chun, Bruce Lee, dropped Wing Chun and chose to switch to BOXING. Does that tell you something? Bruce Lee also stated that "to beat any classical martial artist, take one year of boxing, one year of wrestling and he is yours."
    He was ahead of his time.
    Yeah Bruce Lee made up his own martial arts by combining all the types that he learned. It's called "Jeet Kun Do" (sp?) translation, "the art of the intercepting fist". His fighting style is the most pratical, cuz basically he fights to win. So the shots to the nuts, grabbing hair isn't cheap (notice in the movie with Chuch Noriss he ripped out a chunk of his chest hair).