Quantcast
D40 kit or S5-IS kit? Which is a better value? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: D40 kit or S5-IS kit? Which is a better value?

Default D40 kit or S5-IS kit? Which is a better value?

I am looking to buy my wife a digital camera for christmas. She has always wanted a high quality camera but niether of us really know much about cameras. This camera will just be used for hobby uses. The two cameras that I am stuck between is a Canon S5-IS and a Nikon D40.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Canon-PowerShot-S...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...MEWA:IT&ih=019

Now I know that one is a point and shoot and one is a DSLR but I dont know the difference betwwen the two. The D40 is only 6 MP but I dont see that being an issue as she will never be making poster sized printouts. Like I say, I have been trying to research this as much as possible but any help on which package is a better value will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

My Ride
    WRX STI

If she is just wanting a point and shoot for vacations and such go with the canon. If she is wanting to get into photography as an actual hobby then the d40 or the d40x is the way to go. I started out a year ago, and i have the d40 myself. Great and easy camera to work with and to learn on. Let me know if u would like to see any sample pics.

Originally posted by s_havinga
    I am looking to buy my wife a digital camera for christmas. She has always wanted a high quality camera but niether of us really know much about cameras. This camera will just be used for hobby uses. The two cameras that I am stuck between is a Canon S5-IS and a Nikon D40.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Canon-PowerShot-S...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...:IT&ih=019

Now I know that one is a point and shoot and one is a DSLR but I dont know the difference betwwen the two. The D40 is only 6 MP but I dont see that being an issue as she will never be making poster sized printouts. Like I say, I have been trying to research this as much as possible but any help on which package is a better value will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    I own a Canon S3 and a Nikon D70, basically older versions of the S5 and D40. They are completely different cameras.

The Canon S5 gives you 12x zoom digicam in a small package and gives you the ability to also record movies.

The Nikon D40 gives you a SLR body with an included 3x zoom lens (18-55) in a relatively small package with the ability to change lenses.

You need to figure out what features are important for you. Picture quality? Creative control? Size? Movie Mode needed? Optical Viewfinder for action or night time shots? Ability to upgrade to a fast or specialty lens?

There are pros and cons for each and that's how I ended up with both. I got tired of compromising and "tricking" my S3 to take shots that I want to take, but yet I don't want to lug a SLR with lenses all over the place either.

Do some research and read up on the cameras and decide which one fits your needs the best.

Some decent sites with good reviews.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/

http://www.imaging-resource.com/MFR1.HTM

http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html
    Last edited by Akagi Redsuns; 11-21-2007 at 03:18 PM.

That is a very informative link, thanks for the posts. I think that after reading what has been posted here the s5 would be a better choice for what the camera will be used for. With that decided, are there any other higher end point and shoot cameras that I should be considering instead of the s5 that would be in the under $500 range, I just dont want to spend $500 on something that will crap out in a year or so

That is a very informative link, thanks for the posts. I think that after reading what has been posted here the s5 would be a better choice for what the camera will be used for. With that decided, are there any other higher end point and shoot cameras that I should be considering instead of the s5 that would be in the under $500 range, I just dont want to spend $500 on something that will crap out in a year or so

6MP on a DSLR and 6MP on a point and shoot camera are very different. The physical sensor size in a DSLR is many times that of a point and shoot camera. Near instant shot-to-shot time is one thing that often sways people to pick an entry level DSLR over a P&S camera, but you don't get movie mode or as big of a zoom in a compact package.

Some other cameras to check out are the Fuji S6000/S9100 and the Canon G9. Panasonic and Sony also makes some huge zoom cameras in that price range. I would suggest heading down to The Camera Store as they have everything you should be considering on display (including the D40) with employees who actually know what their talking about.

My Ride
    93 Toyota Pickup

MP don't generally matter with DSLR's. For enlargements above 13x19 you want the extra sensor size, but below that you'd be hard pressed to notice a difference between a D50 and a D80, or a D40 and a D40x is a better comparison.

That being said.. SLR's aren't really "point and shoot" type camera's, the D40 is one of Nikon's easiest to use camera's to date, especially considering it's an SLR with endless expandability and versatility.. You don't have to trick it, either, like you have to trick point and shoots.

IMO it's sized right that you can throw it in a purse (.. a large purse) as it's pretty similar in size to the S5..

S5's are pretty sweet - but being an SLR fan (going on 4 for my current collection..) I tried buying a point and shoot.. and ended up getting another SLR instead.

I would go for the D40 because I enjoy SLR photography.. You can get better/same pictures then you can with a point and shoot - and when you get used to the learning curve of SLR functions, it's easier (imo) to take the picture you want.

D40 FTW
    Originally posted by Grogador
    Shoulda threw in a "no homo" somewhere... cuz... yeah...
    Originally posted by turbotrip
    seems like a recipe for rape
    toexistphoto.com

Is there any other stores worth going to that are closer to the chinook area, it looks like the camera store is downtown and that is pretty far away from me

Is there any other stores worth going to that are closer to the chinook area, it looks like the camera store is downtown and that is pretty far away from me
    TCS is less than 10 minutes from Chinook. It is definitely worth the trip for the money you'll save. You'll actually get a salesperson who knows what their talking about as well.

OK I will try an take a trip down there some time this week, thanks for the replys

Sp I ended up picking up a Rebel XTi from a fellow beyonder, thanks for all the input

My Ride
    Tiburon, Hachiroku, AE92 GT-S, Sonata

good choice. post pics and have fun with the lens.