Quantcast
Buying a car from a private seller... - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Buying a car from a private seller...

Default Buying a car from a private seller...

Ok so I'm in California right now looking to buy a used G35 from a private seller.

Here's the issue: I need to be back in Canada by Dec 3rd (next Monday) because that's when my new job starts. The guy I'm looking to buy it off of has a loan on the car and he said that after I get him the money it will take about a week or more to get the title from the loan company.

I can't cross into Canada without the title, so if I do buy it I will have to store it at the border crossing until he mails me the title... and then I can drive back and pick it up.

Is there anyway I can get screwed on this one? I will have the bill of sale which should say I am the legal owner of the car, but what if he doesn't send me the title? I can't see there being any reason why he would want to hang on to the title to a car he no longer owns or has in his possession, but I thought I'd check to make sure I'm not getting bent over here.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

cant you contact his title holder and pay them directly? and have them mail you the title?

My Ride
    GAR CON!!!!!!!

Dude be VERY careful.. Dont trust him for shit! go with him to pay it or something and then sleep under his bed, watch every move.. dont let him out of your sight!

My Ride
    Acura TL, 2016 Yamaha FZ-07

in the bill of sale there should be a terms and conditions so maybe make up a terms and conditions about the title being part of the sale, make him sign right beside it as well and have a witness.

You can also do a seperate contract stating that once you've paid the full ammount, you therefor have the right to get the title along with the sale. Clearly state that the whole sale is VOID and not completed without having that title and make him sign it with another witness.

going directly to whoever holds the title is a great idea.

Good luck with your purchase

My Ride
    a wrx.

I guess you didn't listen to me when I told you about leins on private sales and staying away from that.

Even if you get the paper title, when you try faxing it to the US border, they won't let it through because it takes 30 days for the lein to clear off the ELT so it shows up as clear at the US border office.

Importing is easy...

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

I don't think he has any leins on it, my understanding is that he has a loan on the car and the loan company is holding the title.

I contacted a different seller about a IS350 and he was in the same boat: Car was bought with a loan so until he can get it cleared with the loan company he won't have a title to hand over.

Does that sound about right or should they have the title regardless of the fact that they have a loan?

My other option is to get it from a dealership and then drive it back up, but they said it'd be a while before they can get the title from the DMV changed anyway, so it looks like regardless of what route I take the car will be doing some sitting at the border.

Haha if I knew this was going to take so long I wouldn't have spent 5 days in Palm Springs before trying to get this car shit all sorted out.

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by Super_Geo
    I don't think he has any leins on it, my understanding is that he has a loan on the car and the loan company is holding the title.
    That's called a lien dude.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...0184549AAPTkOx

Fuck, I told you about this before. Avoid private sales with loans on the car. Even if they can hand you the title in paper, it still takes 30 days to work through the ELT system.

With dealerships, all their cars should be paid off, so you should be good to go as soon as you are holding the paper title. However, it can take them quite awhile to get that paper title sometimes.

If you're comfortable with leaving an unregistered, unplated Infiniti in some random parking lot in a town you don't know, then hey, go for it. But if something happens, you might be out a lot of money and the headaches with finding that would be much worse than the headaches that you're already dealing with.

Of course, you could try renting a secured storage facility to keep your car in while you're waiting things out, then come back for it again. But that is also a hassle, trying to find that sort of shit in Buttefuck, Montana then having to deal with added expense of storage and travelling twice to get your car.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

haha, I think I even told him not to buy used in Cali.

Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    That's called a lien dude.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...0184549AAPTkOx

Fuck, I told you about this before. Avoid private sales with loans on the car. Even if they can hand you the title in paper, it still takes 30 days to work through the ELT system.

With dealerships, all their cars should be paid off, so you should be good to go as soon as you are holding the paper title. However, it can take them quite awhile to get that paper title sometimes.

If you're comfortable with leaving an unregistered, unplated Infiniti in some random parking lot in a town you don't know, then hey, go for it. But if something happens, you might be out a lot of money and the headaches with finding that would be much worse than the headaches that you're already dealing with.

Of course, you could try renting a secured storage facility to keep your car in while you're waiting things out, then come back for it again. But that is also a hassle, trying to find that sort of shit in Buttefuck, Montana then having to deal with added expense of storage and travelling twice to get your car.
    pwned.

My Ride
    a wrx.

Sorry brah. Importing isn't as cheap as people think and there are definitely hassles involved.

Here's another tidbit you probably weren't aware of. If you buy from the dealership (as you should) you will have to pay a California Use Tax (around 8% depending on the county) and then GST and duty on that tax too. Tax on tax bitches.

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

dude, just come to texas. haha

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Illinois FTW

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

^^ Washington > Illinois