Quantcast
Manitoba to adopt vehicle emission limits - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Manitoba to adopt vehicle emission limits

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Default Manitoba to adopt vehicle emission limits

Surprised no one posted this yet. This is not good for Alberta!

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...28?hub=SciTech

Updated Fri. Dec. 28 2007 7:47 AM ET

The Canadian Press

WINNIPEG -- Manitoba will soon set down new vehicle emission standards similar to those in California, Premier Gary Doer said Thursday.

The limits, which Doer talked about in last spring's election campaign, will be part of his NDP government's push to reduce greenhouse gas emissions to meet Kyoto targets. "We are looking at it as part of Kyoto. It represents 33 per cent of our challenge," Doer said in a year-end interview with The Canadian Press.

"We're just looking at the how-to in our legislation."

Quebec became the first Canadian province to commit to California-style emission standards earlier this month. Under the Quebec plan, automakers would have to ensure the average level of emissions for their 2010 to 2016 vehicle fleets does not exceed government standards.

Several American states have already adopted California-style limits and automakers are already producing more energy-efficient vehicles, Doer said, but a national action plan in Canada would be the best way to ensure emissions are cut.

"It would be easier for Quebec and Manitoba to have a national standard on California tailpipe emissions because of the sale of old cars from one province to another," he said.

The federal government has promised to impose stringent rules on fuel efficiency for cars and light trucks starting with the 2011 model year, but the details won't be ready until 2010.

Manitoba's plan is expected to include incentives for owners of older vehicles, although the details have yet to be worked out.

The government has not yet decided whether the vehicle emission standards will be included in legislation promised for this spring that will bind the province to meeting its Kyoto targets. The aim is to cut the province's total greenhouse gas emissions of 20 megatonnes a year by roughly 11 per cent. Vehicle emissions represent about one-third of the province's total output.

The vehicle emission limits are part of Doer's overall plan for a greener province. He is planning to phase out the province's last coal-fired electrical generating station, in Brandon, in the near future.

He is also eyeing the development of new hydro dams in the north which could boost energy exports. He has long talked about having hydro power do for Manitoba what oil and gas have done for Alberta.

Doer, who with eight years under his belt is Canada's longest-serving current premier, has made it clear he wants to make Manitoba more environmentally friendly before he leaves office. And his departure does not appear to be any time in the near future.

"I've asked for a mandate and I've got a mandate ... and I'm going to serve the mandate," said Doer, who won his third straight majority last May.

Doer will turn 60 in March, but says he's not thinking about retirement.

"It's way too premature to ask the question," he said.

My Ride
    2020 Genesis G70

Very vague. But typical NDP.

And it sounds like it is just on new vehicles and if that is the case, Manitoba is way to small for the automakers to actually do anything to their fleet except for no longer sell certain models that don't make the cut.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by blownz
    And it sounds like it is just on new vehicles
    Manitoba's plan is expected to include incentives for owners of older vehicles, although the details have yet to be worked out.
    I think we should adopt it. As an energy exporter, we should use as little as possible to maximize output.

Would love to see similar rules where any cars over 10 years old would cost 2 to 3 times to register or insure. Just to make sure all the polluting clunkers are out of circulation. Great for safety and air.

My Ride
    I like. :)

Default Re: Manitoba to adopt vehicle emission limits

Originally posted by benyl
    Surprised no one posted this yet. This is not good for Alberta!
    LOL, who cares if it's good for our health and the world around us. Alberta beware, clean air is coming!

Seriously, it's pretty 'interesting' that a place like Manitoba has the balls and intelligence to adopt something that's so radical AND necessary. They don't want to wait until disaster is on their front doorstop before they act. It's a smart and respectable move.

My Ride
    S54 M Coupe

Originally posted by Xtrema

I think we should adopt it. As an energy exporter, we should use as little as possible to maximize output.

Would love to see similar rules where any cars over 10 years old would cost 2 to 3 times to register or insure. Just to make sure all the polluting clunkers are out of circulation. Great for safety and air.

My "polluting clunker" is 17 this year and a Low-Emissions-Certified vehicle.

Explain how that works.

Alberta is a bunch of rednecks. We'll never fold

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by 95EagleAWD

My "polluting clunker" is 17 this year and a Low-Emissions-Certified vehicle.

Explain how that works.
    10 years is just a cheap way to implement. Decade old car will not be as fuel efficient as current equivalent. Provide an absolute deadline with no way to weasel out. Extra cost will deter people from keeping it for too long, especially it's a shitty worthless junk. If it's a collectible, at least you still have the options to keep it.

Certification programs are usually flawed and full of frauds. I have seen many diesel cars pass emission tests with gray smoke screen tailing them. All you need is to pay the right people for the stamp.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 01-03-2008 at 04:46 PM.

Certification programs are usually flawed and full of frauds. I have seen many diesel cars pass emission tests with gray smoke screen tailing them. All you need is to pay the right people for the stamp.
    There are stories i've heard of guys in California completely returning there tuned cars to stock just to pass CARB inspections, than go back and build everything again for the street.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Default Re: Re: Manitoba to adopt vehicle emission limits

Originally posted by treg50
    They don't want to wait until disaster is on their front doorstop before they act. It's a smart and respectable move.
    Please. The only man-made disaster would be a nuclear war. The earth's climate has never stood still in time and will never. If the world's population only walked and lived in teepee's there would still be global warming. By the time we run out of oil humans will have alternate energies but that won't be in our lifetime.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Originally posted by M_Power

There are stories i've heard of guys in California completely returning there tuned cars to stock just to pass CARB inspections, than go back and build everything again for the street.
    Happens all the time in the US and would be done here just the same.

My Ride

Default Re: Re: Re: Manitoba to adopt vehicle emission limits

Originally posted by heavyD
    Please. The only man-made disaster would be a nuclear war. The earth's climate has never stood still in time and will never. If the world's population only walked and lived in teepee's there would still be global warming. By the time we run out of oil humans will have alternate energies but that won't be in our lifetime.
    You're a man-made disaster.

Carbon emissions from walking = carbon emissions from driving? Polution from teepees = Pollution from heating a house? Ummm you fail both

Haha, you're right! It's all a scam, the rate of global warming isn't being accelerated by people and industrialization. From the U.S, China and friends saying Kyoto is "unreasonable" and "industrialization is more important than the immediate and visible decline of the environment" you fit right in.

I can't even imagine what type of discussion do you want to get into. What is the negative side to reducing air pollution?

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Manitoba to adopt vehicle emission limits

Originally posted by treg50

What is the negative side to reducing air pollution?
    Poor, starving, homeless people.

My Ride
    2010 GTR

Originally posted by M_Power

Just pay cash to get a Some kind of Management System Like V-pro....I can take my Supra Get a Second map installed and with the turn of a switch the car would be tuned right down and run more fuel efficient then a Camry. (It would be crap ass slow but it will pass any inspection) There is also a company in Germany that develops Exhaust Filters which I have heard do amazing jobs.
    --------"On the 8th Day God Created Turbo"-------------
    94 NSX SuperCharged
    08 GSXR 750
    08 STI *****SOLD****
    02 S54 Mcoupe****SOLD****
    94 T78 SUPRA ****SOLD****
    04 SUBARU WRX STI (STOCK) **SOLD**

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Originally posted by T78Supra1

Just pay cash to get a Some kind of Management System Like V-pro....I can take my Supra Get a Second map installed and with the turn of a switch the car would be tuned right down and run more fuel efficient then a Camry. (It would be crap ass slow but it will pass any inspection) There is also a company in Germany that develops Exhaust Filters which I have heard do amazing jobs.
    What about catless?

I agree 100%. Air quality has been going downhill as of late. There are a lot of junkers on the road that shouldn't be there in the first place.

My Ride
    '05 Subaru LGT wagon (5MT)

Trying to get 10 year old cars off the road is stupid, find me one new car with the same displacement as my car, making the same power as my car and getting the same or better fuel economy as my car and I would buy it. I regularly got over 30 mpg city and 40 mpg highway (before turbocharging it) and I still get over 30 mpg highway on poor compression.

I can't disagree that there are some nicer engines compared to mine but every engine with similar power comes in a car that weighs atleast 500 lbs more thus getting the same or worse economy than I get.

Look at the old swifts and metros, those things get mileage that is only touched by small displacement hybrids and diesels that we don't get in North America.

Edit: the numbers are in US mpg.
    Last edited by 98brg2d; 01-04-2008 at 12:15 PM.

My Ride

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Manitoba to adopt vehicle emission limits

Originally posted by benyl
    Poor, starving, homeless people.
    You're going to have to explain the connection between improving air quality and poverty for me.

If there are people so dependent on the handful of oil barons of the world, that they see doing something good for everyone's health and cleaning the air as a BAD thing --- it's time to find a new line of work or make a serious change. The writing's on the wall: the society created by the oil industry was designed to serve the oil industry and that's dirty in more ways than one. And it needs to change.

"Cleaning the air & improving our health = bad"? If that's what it's come to for some people, we need major change as a society.

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

if they expect everyone to drive cars that are 10 years or newer, they should start dealing with shithead manufactureres that are keeping prices higher in canada even with the american dollar losing ground.
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    2020 Genesis G70

Originally posted by 98brg2d
    Trying to get 10 year old cars off the road is stupid, find me one new car with the same displacement as my car, making the same power as my car and getting the same or better fuel economy as my car and I would buy it.
    Emissions has to do with more than just mileage. Newer motors simply run cleaner. I remember reading a while back that something like a brand new Expedition emits fewer tailpipe emissions than like a 20 year old Civic. Now don't quote me on that, but it was something like that.

My Ride
    88 g32b

I dont see how forcing ppl to sell their 10 year old cars is going to stop global warming. Manufacturing the replacements of these 10 year old poluters isn't going to help. Recycling these old cars wont help much. Maybe well see 10 year old Canadian cars get export into Chinese markets.... They may care less about 10 year old cars?

The only thing I can see helping is more mass public transportation and the extinction of private vehicles.

Then you may as well force everyone to stop living in 1800 square feet homes cause they produce too many greenhouse gases when heating/cooling.

The problem seems straight forward. Too bad the solutions aren't that clearcut.
    Last edited by ricoRA; 01-10-2008 at 03:04 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast