Quantcast
MKV GTI --- I'm a fanboy but is it "execuitive" enough? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: MKV GTI --- I'm a fanboy but is it "execuitive" enough?

My Ride
    03' Vitara\VW GTI

Default MKV GTI --- I'm a fanboy but is it "execuitive" enough?

Oh god, I'm in love with the GTI

The torque with an almost lagless 2.0 w/ the DSG

Gorgeous well bolstered leather seats and such nice interior quality

Question is...
    With my peers all buying cars like the G35, 3series, and A4s... Does the GTI look too "boy racer" to drive to the country club, and client events?

I know that in Europe the GTI is a well regarded and considered a "stylish" car

but in North America, it appears most people categorize them in the same class as other hatches ranging from the Yaris to the Sentra

I dunno... I love GTI's for their "style", history and practicality
    In fact, it is the only smallish car that I can comfortablly sit in the back and has tremendous storage capacity with the seats down

I really like the Volvo C30 & the A3
    However, I cannot justify the A3 as it really is just a longer platformed version of the same car, with just about the same styling appeal

The C30, I am a fan of, as I had spent quite a few days with an equivalent Ford Focus RS in England last year...
    However I was absolutely unimpressed with the condescending and dismissive attitude of the salesmen at Valentine's
    I dropped by the first time after work, all suited up... and arrange for a test ride
    Came back on the "same" weekend with the other half, wearing more casual (I mean by casual a Polo-T and a nice pair of Jeans) and... when I had waited to get some pricing info
    I was handed a brochure and was told to read it!
    In front of the Wife.... by the same f'ing salesman

Now, since I have found reasons not to like the C30... mostly due to lack of truck space and it's handling characteristics (far softer and less precice to it's RS cousin)

anyways
    Last edited by r3cc0s; 01-04-2008 at 03:10 PM.

My Ride
    14' C63 507 Edition Coupe

i think its a nice car too but if you can afford something a bit more "executive" to drive clients around in then you probably shouldn't buy the GTI. are you a younger guy? girlfriend? family? might also want to think ahead a little bit and see if the GTI fits into your future or not. but if you cant justify spending more money on a vehicle then dont. the GTI is a really really sweet car and its not exactly cheap either.

To be in the same class as the "G35, 3series, and A4s... " you'd have to buy an Audi. VW plain and simple isn't upscale.

My Ride
    03' Vitara\VW GTI

GTI 5 door was what I was thinking... loaded to the tit w/ leather

I mean there is a GLI option with the Jetta, and of course the A3

However with the exception of a nicer "grill" on the A3, you'll find that the three cars I listed are incredibly simular, which doesn't justify the 47K price I saw for the A3 2.0 DSG

Originally posted by vtec4life
    i think its a nice car too but if you can afford something a bit more "executive" to drive clients around in then you probably shouldn't buy the GTI. are you a younger guy? girlfriend? family? might also want to think ahead a little bit and see if the GTI fits into your future or not. but if you cant justify spending more money on a vehicle then dont. the GTI is a really really sweet car and its not exactly cheap either.
    no not that cheap at all, but to image and car-retarded people they might think "zomg another golf/rabbit"

Honestly i LOVE the GTI, riding around in the interior is enough to change their minds, and who cares really what other people think - YOU enjoy what YOU drive.
    Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

My Ride
    WRX STI

The GTI, GLI and the A4 all have the same 2.0T engine. If i were you, i would go with the Getta GLI. Same great engine, interiors are awesome. I think the out side looks fantastic, still fun to drive, but you look more your age in it also.

My Ride
    03' Vitara\VW GTI

Originally posted by richardchan2002
    To be in the same class as the "G35, 3series, and A4s... " you'd have to buy an Audi. VW plain and simple isn't upscale.
    Must be a north American thing...

I think we've been plagued and haunted by memories of the old Fox and MK2 series cars

Possibly to due with the Mexican built cars as well, we might experience more issues than elsewhere

I know in the UK, alot of people would class the GTI in the same boat as the BMW 1s if not the even the 3s
    And find it a better car as a whole than the Peugot 207, and other european varities

but yea... I know that here in Canada, a GTI is basically the same class as a Civic or a Hyundai Accent

My Ride
    B8 A4/MKV GTI

I drive a 5 door gti with all options... and while I absolutely love the car, I do find myself wishing I ponied up the extra cake for an a4

My Ride
    03' Vitara\VW GTI

Originally posted by teggypimp95
    The GTI, GLI and the A4 all have the same 2.0T engine. If i were you, i would go with the Getta GLI. Same great engine, interiors are awesome. I think the out side looks fantastic, still fun to drive, but you look more your age in it also.
    GLI's rear headroom is unfortunately the only fault... well perhaps the styling isn't quite as revolutionary as I would have hoped with the new line MKV Jetta

but otherwise it is a great car with a large boot

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

i think the GLI looks more "upscale" than the GTI. at $38k, GTI/GLI is right around the same price range as g35 and lower end 3 series and a4's...

personally, i would pick the 5 door GTI on fun factor, DSG, versatility, and price.

maybe Aleks will chime in... he went from a e90 330 to a mkv GTI.

My Ride
    03' Vitara\VW GTI

Originally posted by Mr. Burns
    I drive a 5 door gti with all options... and while I absolutely love the car, I do find myself wishing I ponied up the extra cake for an a4
    & Why?

Fit & finish? Quattro?

I know that the Quattro is a great feature, but to be honest... a set of snow tires on Golfs are already quite good with it's ESP and relatively heavy front weight...
    (I own a MKVI GTI)

I do have to hand it to Audi with the styling... I'd love a S4 Advant, but with a new house being built... and planning on keeping my Condo for rent, as seriously limited my leveragability

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

I am going from a 2006 BMW 330I to a 2008 VW GTI 5 Dr DSG fully loaded. The DSG is a blast, interior is best in class and has big room inside due to hatch design.

The only thing I might worry about is reliability but our Rabbit has been trouble free so far so I hope the GTI is the same.
    I'll post some pics tomorrow when I pick it up

My Ride
    B8 A4/MKV GTI

Originally posted by r3cc0s

& Why?

Fit & finish? Quattro?

I know that the Quattro is a great feature, but to be honest... a set of snow tires on Golfs are already quite good with it's ESP and relatively heavy front weight...
    (I own a MKVI GTI)

I do have to hand it to Audi with the styling... I'd love a S4 Advant, but with a new house being built... and planning on keeping my Condo for rent, as seriously limited my leveragability
    Mostly quattro, and a 6 cylinder engine (I used to have a 24v VR6). If I was to get rid of the GTI it would be for either an A4 Sline, or a 335i.

Don't get me wrong, I love the car, but given the chance to do it over I would get the Audi or BMW.

My Ride
    03' Vitara\VW GTI

Originally posted by Mr. Burns

Mostly quattro, and a 6 cylinder engine (I used to have a 24v VR6). If I was to get rid of the GTI it would be for either an A4 Sline, or a 335i.

Don't get me wrong, I love the car, but given the chance to do it over I would get the Audi or BMW.
    You have the Mk5 or Mk4 currently?

Originally posted by Aleks
    I am going from a 2006 BMW 330I to a 2008 VW GTI 5 Dr DSG fully loaded. The DSG is a blast, interior is best in class and has big room inside due to hatch design.

The only thing I might worry about is reliability but our Rabbit has been trouble free so far so I hope the GTI is the same.
    I'll post some pics tomorrow when I pick it up
    man thats sweet, i really want a GLI jetta, its classy enough to pass off as a luxury euro sedan and has a good amount of UMPH.... only problem is fwd but meh whatever, as long as it grips better in corners than my cobalt
    Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

My Ride
    2015 MK7 GTI

The country club? lol

I think you should buy an M3 man

I think though the GTI is less expensive than some of the other cars quoted it is quite upscale for a young business man. It is fun yet still classy when needed as long as you get a leather interior.

The only thing I would really worry about is, as Aleks mentioned, reliability. Maybe think about a 2-3 year lease?

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

I wouls still say an A/S 3, Sister in law to be just bought one and it is damned sexy.

and from what I understand it should be the same car as a GTI almost identically.

and yes I think the GTI would be seen as boy racer
    Cos...

My Ride
    B8 A4/MKV GTI

You have the Mk5 or Mk4 currently?
    I currently have the MKV GTI. My old car was a Jetta GLI VR6.

My Ride
    335i

Golf's are definately not upscale at all. But why base your decision on what others drive anyways? If you like what you drive and you are happy with it, then get what you love and not what others want you to drive.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    03' Vitara\VW GTI

Originally posted by Weapon_R
    Golf's are definately not upscale at all. But why base your decision on what others drive anyways? If you like what you drive and you are happy with it, then get what you love and not what others want you to drive.
    I guess the GTI/GLI are the "high" end sport compact cars in their class

But ultimately, yes I do enjoy the car and just based upon initial driving impressions

It has everything that I'm looking for
    -Minus the "prestigious title in North America of being a Merc, Audi or BMW"

However if badges didn't matter, I think I'd be all over this car...
    But all in all... like the new Honda Accord Couple
    No matter how good of a car it is, it will remain to have a reputation of being what it was...
    In the Accord's case, is an old person people mover

In the Golf/Jetta's cases, it's the unruley poor university student budget car... who has a flare of German made cars

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast