Quantcast
1 mild Dealership Rant & 1 mild BMW Rant - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1 mild Dealership Rant & 1 mild BMW Rant

My Ride
    Edge Sport, F-150 EcoBoost

Default 1 mild Dealership Rant & 1 mild BMW Rant

Well both of these stories happened yesterday, to two different coworkers who drive BMWs:

1) Dealership - So my coworker traded in their Audi A4 for a BMW X5 at a reputable local dealer ship of whick I won't mention any names (T&T Honda). Just the other day the X5, out of nowhere, dies, "...with a puff of smoke coming through the vents..." They end up calling BMW and found out the car was a salvaged vehicle from Ontario. They asked the dealership for the history on the vehicle and the dealership said it was clean, with no problems.

In my opinion my coworkers should have done what they could to run their own background checks, but apparently they were in a bind as the lease on thier other car was due. But I would think the stealership would know at least if it was a salvaged car...especially if a follow-up check when it died revealed it was salvaged.

They are in talks with AMVIC right now who says they should be able to get the X5 bought back from them from the stealership, plus the trade-in amount for their other car. So far the dealership isn't doing anything, but AMVIC thinks they have a stropng case.

2) BMW - So my other coworker recently bought a certified used BMW X3 from a BMW dealership in town. She inquired as to a block heater, and was told "BMW's just don't need block heaters..." and that if one was installed, it would void the warranty. Well, yesterday, out of all the cars in our company (about 20), it was the only one that would not start at the end of the day no matter what we tried.

First, its funny that the attitude of the sales guy was BMW are so good they don't need block heaters. But Secondly, when she called the dealership for assistance which includes road side assistance, they said "they're not sending any trucks out for cars that don't start". Way to go on service BMW.

I understand that they may have been too busy were they to dispatch trucks during this weather, but it came across as shoddy workmanship with crappy service. We ended up towing her X3 around to the back to the shop doors and parking it inside over night, it now starts up.

So before you start throwing lame comments at me, these happened to my coworkers, I just found them interesting, and I did mention they were mild rants, not a heated display of contempt for anyone.
    freshprince
    -Jan 2006-

My Ride
    FIAT SPORT

That's what they said to my cousin too about the block heaters The shitty part is he wanted to get a block heater a month ago and now its sitting in the parking lot collecting snow.

Default Re: 1 mild Dealership Rant & 1 mild BMW Rant

Originally posted by freshprince1

2) BMW - So my other coworker recently bought a certified used BMW X3 from a BMW dealership in town. She inquired as to a block heater, and was told "BMW's just don't need block heaters..." and that if one was installed, it would void the warranty. Well, yesterday, out of all the cars in our company (about 20), it was the only one that would not start at the end of the day no matter what we tried.

First, its funny that the attitude of the sales guy was BMW are so good they don't need block heaters. But Secondly, when she called the dealership for assistance which includes road side assistance, they said "they're not sending any trucks out for cars that don't start". Way to go on service BMW.

I understand that they may have been too busy were they to dispatch trucks during this weather, but it came across as shoddy workmanship with crappy service. We ended up towing her X3 around to the back to the shop doors and parking it inside over night, it now starts up.

So before you start throwing lame comments at me, these happened to my coworkers, I just found them interesting, and I did mention they were mild rants, not a heated display of contempt for anyone.
    Umm i don't think bmw even makes a block heater for the X3, the x3 SHOULD start if it is properly maintained (strong battery amperage for example). There is a reason why they don't make a block heater, i'm not 100% sure why but i assume it has something to do with the vehicle not needing one if properly maintained. My bmw starts fine but the idle is a little rough though in this weather.

My Ride

Default Re: Re: 1 mild Dealership Rant & 1 mild BMW Rant

Originally posted by TegLover

Umm i don't think bmw even makes a block heater for the X3, the x3 SHOULD start if it is properly maintained (strong battery amperage for example). There is a reason why they don't make a block heater, i'm not 100% sure why but i assume it has something to do with the vehicle not needing one if properly maintained. My bmw starts fine but the idle is a little rough though in this weather.
    That's what I figured, but the battery had lots of power, and we even charged it further...still to no avail. I know no car will run ideally in this weather, I just thought it was ironic.
    freshprince
    -Jan 2006-

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

lol awesome...
    The dealer will have to buy the X5 back so your friend will be fine.

As for Calgary BMW, just because a car runs on synthetic doesnt mean it shouldnt be plugged in.
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Umm i don't think bmw even makes a block heater for the X3, the x3 SHOULD start if it is properly maintained (strong battery amperage for example). There is a reason why they don't make a block heater, i'm not 100% sure why but i assume it has something to do with the vehicle not needing one if properly maintained.
    The newer BMW's are designed without the holes for a block heater, so there are none that fit.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Umm i don't think bmw even makes a block heater for the X3, the x3 SHOULD start if it is properly maintained (strong battery amperage for example). ........
    Just curious, what BMW maintenance regime will result in a strong battery amperage? Replacing the battery every year?

Its true,

Audi's and BMW's cant even have Block heaters installed so its not the dealerships fault. They can have oilpan heaters and apparently that can help.
    2016 Tesla Model X
    2018 Lincoln Navigator
    2016 Porsche GT3 RS

My Ride
    01 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4

I am unsure of the reliability or even how well they work, but my room mate just bought a magnetic block heater from Cambodian Tire.

30 bucks. It seemed odd to me. Again I dont know how well it works if at all, but they are available.
    Originally posted by rage2
    I can't believe I'm driving Ferraris in those vids. I'd never be caught dead in one now.

Default Re: Re: Re: 1 mild Dealership Rant & 1 mild BMW Rant

Originally posted by Akagi Redsuns

Just curious, what BMW maintenance regime will result in a strong battery amperage? Replacing the battery every year?
    well theres a thing called inspections and they usually do battery tests that tell you how good your battery is. Last i checked doing inspections were part of good maintenance.

My Ride
    MK7 Oryx White R, 79 Austin Mini Cooper

Maybe the gas just froze in the X3. Maybe you should have tried using gas line antifreeze. Gas freezing could happen on any car in this weather it just so happens that it was the X3. So you cant go blaming the dealership for not putting in a block heater and saying its the reason it didnt start. The OP said it needed to warm up in a shop to start. Maybe the gas just froze.

My Ride

Originally posted by IntegraG2
    Maybe the gas just froze in the X3. Maybe you should have tried using gas line antifreeze. Gas freezing could happen on any car in this weather it just so happens that it was the X3. So you cant go blaming the dealership for not putting in a block heater and saying its the reason it didnt start. The OP said it needed to warm up in a shop to start. Maybe the gas just froze.
    Yah that could be it, I told her to buy some gas line anti-freeze and get it in the gas.
    freshprince
    -Jan 2006-

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: 1 mild Dealership Rant & 1 mild BMW Rant

well theres a thing called inspections and they usually do battery tests that tell you how good your battery is. Last i checked doing inspections were part of good maintenance.
    Ah yes I remember reading about "Inspection I" for BMW servicing. Would be interesting to see if they actually use a ammeter to measure amperage versus just checking the water level and voltage.

In either case, I didn't correlate "maintenance" with fixing battery amperage.

#1: T&T is a fucking joke. You can consistently rely on them to lie regarding each and every vehicle they sell. Hoping for honesty with these people can be likened to squeezing blood from a stone.

#2: The only person more pretentious than someone driving a BMW, is the person selling one.

*Edit
    #3: Using the argument of synthetic oil nullifying the need for winter prep labels you as a fucking moron immediately. End yourself promptly if you believe this myth.
    Last edited by bullseye; 01-29-2008 at 06:57 PM.

My Ride
    CBR600RR

Originally posted by VWEvo
    Its true,

Audi's and BMW's cant even have Block heaters installed so its not the dealerships fault. They can have oilpan heaters and apparently that can help.
    The dealership could have let them in on that information rather then just say "No you don't need one." If they would've explained why she didn't need one, I'm sure she wouldn't have been as pissed.
    In reference to Rob Anders:
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    Hes not really that bad...

My Ride
    CBR600RR

Originally posted by bullseye
    #2: The only person more pretentious than someone driving a BMW, is the person selling one.
    QFT

Originally posted by VWEvo
    Its true,

Funny.. haha, our A6 has been stuck in the driveway for 2days and counting now.... I hate this weather.

My Ride
    fast and red.

Originally posted by bullseye

#3: Using the argument of synthetic oil nullifying the need for winter prep labels you as a fucking moron immediately. End yourself promptly if you believe this myth.
    Hey, synthetic oil makes a massive difference to cold starting. The oil doesn't thicken up, so the engine turns easily, even when cold. Way easier to start than if you're using conventional oil, which, at this temperature, is like Molasses.

Okay, the car will warm up quicker and idle better if it's been plugged in, but if you really don't think synthetic oil makes for easier winter starts, then you've never used it. Calling someone a "fucking moron" for believing reality kind of makes you seem, well, moronic.

My Ride
    CBR600RR

Originally posted by canuckcarguy

Hey, synthetic oil makes a massive difference to cold starting. The oil doesn't thicken up, so the engine turns easily, even when cold. Way easier to start than if you're using conventional oil, which, at this temperature, is like Molasses.

Okay, the car will warm up quicker and idle better if it's been plugged in, but if you really don't think synthetic oil makes for easier winter starts, then you've never used it. Calling someone a "fucking moron" for believing reality kind of makes you seem, well, moronic.
    I think he means that people think they're invincible when they put in synthetic oil. That would make them moronic.

My Ride

I'm using Synthetic oil and my car has been stuck in the parking lot at work for the past 2 days as well

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast