2003 Mercedes Benz CLK - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 2003 Mercedes Benz CLK

My Ride
    W220, W220, R171 AMG, W203 AMG

Originally posted by Angisio

Um, $45000USD = 71,492.19 CAD
    plus tax = approximately $81k
    So its maybe $1k cheaper. Thats interesting math you did there though...
    For twice the car. I'd take the risk, or wait 6 months until the problem is sorted out.
    You can't convert the american price to canadian and say that's how much the car is gonna cost you. Majority of the cars are cheaper here in canada than they are in the US.

My Ride
    Skateboard

Um, $45000USD = 71,492.19 CAD
    plus tax = approximately $81k
    So its maybe $1k cheaper. Thats interesting math you did there though...
    For twice the car. I'd take the risk, or wait 6 months until the problem is sorted out.

My Ride
    1985 288 GTO

Originally posted by 4wheeldrift

No, YOUR math is the problem. The tax does not even come CLOSE to $10k

$71,492.19 x 1.07 = $76,496.64

Thats over $5k cheaper than an M3.
    well i added in a couple options there as well. I assume youre not buying it bone stock. I guess some people do.

You guys are right, the 320 is a lot cheaper. I was thinking of the 430. The CLK 430 costs the same as an M3. But if you were gonna buy the clk 320 you could just save yourself $10 and buy a 330i and have better performance?

Man, mercedes sure makes a crappy car for the money, SLK 32AMG excluded.

My Ride
    1985 288 GTO

Originally posted by HOK
    i see this benz everyday here in hong kong... its SWEEET... its better then M3.... who gives two shits about price when your talking about cars this expensive...
    you make a convincing point there HOK good job.

My Ride
    Skateboard

To some people it's about name recognition.

My Ride
    1985 288 GTO

ya i know, but i'd rather be like you and get the better car with less name attached to it. I mean the G20 is in the same class and is basically as good as the 330i but a lot cheaper. I would never even bother with the benz because of its horrible horrible price.

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

the clk looks liek somethign my mom woudl drive..I prefer the classic more square lines of the m3 the fact that it has a manula tranny is also a huge selling point..the clk 320 woudl be a sweet daily driver that and an extremely comfortabel travelling car but if I was spending that much money it woudl be for something that performed as good on the track as it would on the streets
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

Default Re: Re: Re: Crap

the engine blowing is a concern though, but its all warranty so who cares. Who knows what those people were doing. For the risk i'd still take the M3.
    Tell that to the people who were forced to cough up $17k USD to have their engine replaced because BMW refused to replace it under warranty!
    ---

My Ride
    Skateboard

ya i know, but i'd rather be like you and get the better car with less name attached to it. I mean the G20 is in the same class and is basically as good as the 330i but a lot cheaper. I would never even bother with the benz because of its horrible horrible price.
    G20 is not in the same class as the 330i. I think you meant the G35. The G20 is a car that should've been it was out dated before it even came out. I am happy with the G35 plenty of torque and power.

My Ride
    1985 288 GTO

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Crap

Originally posted by kenny

Tell that to the people who were forced to cough up $17k USD to have their engine replaced because BMW refused to replace it under warranty!
    Ya. I will. What are you gonna tell the guy who paid the same price for half the car. Obvoiusly BMW can fix the problem. Its not like they designed an engine that will never ever work. Its 66 out of about 10,000 cars. I bet 66 /10,000 CLK 320s /430s break down too, just not all because of the same problem.

I think people are crazy to buy a mercedes like that. The only one worth buying is the SLK 32AMG and it doesnt even have the fun of a manual transmission. And that car may be faster then the M3 but its two seater and more exspensive.

And by the way Kenny, Fat dave already mentioned the cost of fixing the motor. I would still rather pay the extra money, it would still be less then the CLK55 AMG which is slower then the M3 as well.

Oh ya, and Gspot i meant to put G35 and I guess more like 328i or 325i. But i would still take either of those over the CLK anything.

My Ride
    GTI

Yeah, I'd definatly take an M3 over clk320, performance won't even compare, looks are close though, but still M3 is very impressive, one of my favorite cars, CLKAMG maybe is more of a comparison, but I'd still take the M3, and the slk I love but I'm not sure about taking one over an M3, the option of a standard would sway me towards the M3. I love both cars though.

My Ride
    1999 Impreza hybrid CLOSED DECK!

you make a convincing point there HOK good job.
    your sarcasm is as good as your taste... you lack refinement, why would you buy a shotty car... ? have even seen this car in person... its not all about horsepower and numbers...

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Crap

Originally posted by kenny

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't there problems with the M3's clutch as well?? A lot of people were really fucking up their clutches before the proper break in period. Some even as early the first day of driving

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Crap

Ya. I will. What are you gonna tell the guy who paid the same price for half the car. Obvoiusly BMW can fix the problem. Its not like they designed an engine that will never ever work. Its 66 out of about 10,000 cars. I bet 66 /10,000 CLK 320s /430s break down too, just not all because of the same problem.
    That's what all the hardcore BMW guys say... do remember that only about 500 M3 owners are active on roadfly. I know of 2 M3 blown engines in Calgary and they're not on roadfly. Fact is, there are a lot of blown engines on the M3's, mostly (but not all) in the Nov and Dec 01 production run.

I think people are crazy to buy a mercedes like that. The only one worth buying is the SLK 32AMG and it doesnt even have the fun of a manual transmission. And that car may be faster then the M3 but its two seater and more exspensive.
    Why are we even comparing the CLK class to the 3 series? The CLK is a high end luxo coupe. The 3 series compares to the C class. The C32 AMG out runs the M3's (only from a roll, the C32 is a bit slow off the line so it loses in 0-60 and is tied to the 1/4 mile) and costs $65k cdn fully loaded.

And by the way Kenny, Fat dave already mentioned the cost of fixing the motor. I would still rather pay the extra money, it would still be less then the CLK55 AMG which is slower then the M3 as well.
    Or you can buy a 03 Mustang Cobra, whole lot cheaper, outruns both cars.

Originally posted by D'z Nutz
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't there problems with the M3's clutch as well?? A lot of people were really fucking up their clutches before the proper break in period. Some even as early the first day of driving
    The clutch is an M5 issue. The M3 had issues with the differentials blowing up. A service bulletin went out for the 12,000 mile service prompting a differential oil for the diff oil change.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Originally posted by lammer
    i'd buy a house, with some money from the bank.
    so would I
    Built not Bought.
    Originally posted by mitsumirage
    the civic will always be just a basic car , poor people will always buy them , its sad but its true

My Ride
    NC1

What I don't understand is why BMW would not replace the engine under warranty? It seriously doesn't make much sense! What do they say to their high rolling customers? Sorry pal, tough luck?!?! LOL

That is bad service, results in bad customer relations and BMW can forget about these folks ever coming back.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Crap

The clutch is an M5 issue. The M3 had issues with the differentials blowing up. A service bulletin went out for the 12,000 mile service prompting a differential oil for the diff oil change.
    Jeez, the M5 clutch problem is new to me! BMW seriously needs to get their act together. I know there some problems with the X5 catching on fire as well. Can't remember exactly what the problem was though. IIRC, it had something to do with the radiator fan? Whatever it was, I think it was electrical. There were some pics of some X5's with melted fronts floating around on the net somewhere. When I first heard about that, I don't think BMW was covering the damages for those either, regardless of the recall.

sometimes the manufacture will blame the owner for the cause of the blown engine. abuse or some other if they don't want to replace the engine.

My Ride
    NC1

Originally posted by 2000impreza
    sometimes the manufacture will blame the owner for the cause of the blown engine. abuse or some other if they don't want to replace the engine.
    So many people are having the same problem too! If that ever happened to me, I'm calling my lawyer!!!
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    1985 288 GTO

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Crap

Why are we even comparing the CLK class to the 3 series? The CLK is a high end luxo coupe. The 3 series compares to the C class. The C32 AMG out runs the M3's (only from a roll, the C32 is a bit slow off the line so it loses in 0-60 and is tied to the 1/4 mile) and costs $65k cdn fully loaded.

What the hell are you talking about? The C32 AMG stock cost $53 000 USD base price, since when did that convert into $65 000 Canadian? Oh thats right, it doesn't. It converts into $84 000 Canadian, and thats without tax. You can get a BMW M3 with options and tax for $83 000. And its way slower than the M3 on a track. Unlike Rice cars BMW makes their cars for more than just a 1/4 mile time.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast