Quantcast
Ireland next? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Ireland next?

Question Ireland next?

Iceland was a blast and next up is Ireland. Any thoughts or must sees for those who have been there? I'll most likely pick up a book about this but I'd like to hear some first hand stories. Specifically looking at Dublin for the fall.

Thanks
    Was the #1 Forum Warrior

My Ride
    Highlander

Make sure they know you're canadian when you're in Dublin. They tend to automatically think anyone who sounds like us is American and they are very mean to Americans there.

Aside from that, the zoo in Dublin is neat, the Guiness brewery is there, it's pretty easy to get around, but a bit of a confusing city. Enjoy!

Take the Dublin bus tour. It goes by all the places you'd need to see (Guinness Brewery, Trinity College for example. You get to see the city and the pass lasts all day, its a good way to get around).

Also on that route, definitely go to Kilmainham Gaol (Jail). Probably the most overlooked Dublin destination.

It would also be worth it to see a gaelic football match at Croke Park if there's one on. But in the fall there's really just the All-Ireland final in late September and unless you're given a ticket, it would be way too expensive for a casual observer to go (the atmosphere would be amazing though).

For a night out, the pub I'd most recommend would be called Doyle's. Its at the end of O'Connell Street just across the Liffy. Its usually packed with a younger crowd.

But Dublin is kind of overrated. The best parts of Ireland are on the West Coast. Depending on how much time you have, I think its a crime that people don't make their way to Kerry, Limerick and Galway. The scenery is unbeatable and its as good a place to go drinking as anywhere (cheaper too. Dublin is pretty expensive nowadays). If you do make it out to Galway (awesome town), take a trip to the Aran islands and head out to Connemara for a day or two.

Your the second person to mention the West Coat. I'm going to add a couple days to the trip so I can spend at least 3 days out there.
    Was the #1 Forum Warrior

My Ride
    a tinpot

The west coast is definitely a must see. The Connemara area is amazing for hill walking. It probably depends on what time of year you plan on being in Ireland as well though. The west coast during winter is insanely depressing. In the summer it can be stupidly crowded with tourists, especially in Killarney and on the Ring of Kerry. Achill Island in Mayo is a nice place to be, spent two months there myself. The people are a blast. Galway is a nice town, look out for the knacker dwarf near the shops. Go for some drinks in the 'old man' pubs out west, the pints are cheaper and you get some real characters. They are good places to hear the old ones sing, listen to some trad and talk in Irish.

Dublin in my opinion is overpriced and overrated. There is a lot to see, if you are a literary fan you can do literary walking tours. I prefer Cork to Dublin.

If you have the chance I strongly recommend going to Northern Ireland for a few days. Belfast is a great city and if you are into Irish history there is so much of it, you can see a lot of the reminents of The Troubles. Also the Antrim Coast between Belfast and Derry is spectacular. You can see Carrick-a-rede and the Giants Causeway. There is also the town of Bushmills, home of Bushmills Distillery, which is (I think) the oldest liscensed distillery in Ireland. I think they have Bushmills 1608 out this year for it's 400th anniversary. If you do go to a distillary, when they ask for volunteers put your hand up asap. Nothing beats 6 (free) shots of whiskey first thing in the morning.

I spend quite a bit of time in Ireland, so if you have anything more specific just ask.

Dublin is great, wish I had more time to go to the west coast.

My Ride
    WAO Arrival

What he said ^^^ West coast is a must see. I have driven the ring of Kerry and it is defn worth seeing. This is about 30 minutes west of Cork.

My Ride
    a car

Rent a car, the country is small and the landscape is beautiful.. just drive around.

Be prepared for a bit of rain.
    Last edited by smc; 02-13-2008 at 01:38 PM.
    Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand

My Ride
    18 Model S, 20 Macan S, 67 Camaro & 11 SLS

Originally posted by syeve
    What he said ^^^ West coast is a must see. I have driven the ring of Kerry and it is defn worth seeing. This is about 30 minutes west of Cork.

That looks amazing.

My mom wants to go to ireland for her bday next year, so i've begun planning a trip. I'm hoping to get some great ideas from this thread.

Originally posted by pints

If you have the chance I strongly recommend going to Northern Ireland for a few days. Belfast is a great city and if you are into Irish history there is so much of it, you can see a lot of the reminents of The Troubles. Also the Antrim Coast between Belfast and Derry is spectacular. You can see Carrick-a-rede and the Giants Causeway. There is also the town of Bushmills, home of Bushmills Distillery, which is (I think) the oldest liscensed distillery in Ireland. I think they have Bushmills 1608 out this year for it's 400th anniversary. If you do go to a distillary, when they ask for volunteers put your hand up asap. Nothing beats 6 (free) shots of whiskey first thing in the morning.

I spend quite a bit of time in Ireland, so if you have anything more specific just ask.
    And if you're going in the North, head over to Donegal as well. There's another galetacht over there and you could get some surfing done in Rosnalla (or it might be Ross Nowlagh). Though in the fall it might be a bit cold. The "Hills of Donegal" are quite amazing if you're a walker. From there you can head on down through Sligo and Mayo into Galway, Limerick, Kerry.

There really is too much to see in a short trip. Its best to pick a specific region, see the hell out of it then plan another trip for another time. I'd basically just spend a day or two in Dublin and head out.

My Ride
    starts with a screwdriver...

We got to Ireland quite often as we are from there. We come from the north so I have to place heavy recommendation on Belfast and if you are in the south, see the post office which was a centrepiece of the rebellion in Ireland. The people there are awesome and dont forget that you are at sea level so you dont really get hangovers! If you do drink beer, Guiness and Harp are 2 of the finest beers on the planet and they taste so much better there than they do here. But the bus tours are the way to go and do your best to see the small authentic Irish pubs.. most of them dont have music in them unless it is a small live band so it is really easy to talk and communicate with people unlike here. Make sure you take a walk or drive through the country side. Youve never seen green till youve been there.
    I MAKE BALLER CARS MORE BALLER.....

Great information, thank you all.
    Was the #1 Forum Warrior

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Originally posted by Melinda
    Make sure they know you're canadian when you're in Dublin. They tend to automatically think anyone who sounds like us is American and they are very mean to Americans there.
    but tom pretty much IS american
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless