Quantcast
need beyonders help for Calgary secret street/street racing stats. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: need beyonders help for Calgary secret street/street racing stats.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Post need beyonders help for Calgary secret street/street racing stats.

Hey guys, thanks for taking the time to read this in advance.
    A friend out in the maritimes is wanting to start up something quite simular to what we have being "Secret street" every Friday night during the summer months.

however she needs a convincing arguement that the creation of this secret street has lowered the street racing incidents on public roads, in the manner of creating a petition to the local area stating that this would be in the publics best interest.

So, hense this thread. I was wondering if anybody can help me (even a little) point me in the right direction towards digging up some stats; either through some CPS (oriented)document or whatever else to create a feasible plea to be brought to the township.
    I know secret street is partially funded by the CPS, obviously its in place to reduce street racing incidents, which hurt everybody involved, particulairly pedestrians, property owners, fellow drivers and the like.
    This is all a few years old however.... and I (for lack of better words) dont know how to go about collecting info.

Any help or tips would be much appreciated.

Thanks a lot in advance, any stats or documents of any relevance would be a huge help.
    -Cheers
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    mk3 brokestatus jetta

find the petition online that has like 4000 signatures to keep racecity open for those very reasons. i know there is a thread with the petition link as well if anyone can find it.

I personally don't think that SS makes a very large impact on the street racing scene because of driver behaviour. Responsible drivers will take their cars to a sanctioned event but that is not who we are worried about.

I would love to see any data you can gather and it is a valid argument that one lived saved is a big enough impact but street racing will continue to occur with or without SS and the public will only perceive what is in the media.

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

i volunteered at race city for year and i've never heard of any subsidy from the city for them to host it, i don't think that's correct.
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

My Ride

i for one know that i have stopped street racing, or cut back on it because of SS

...so maybe it would help to create your own petition and ask people fpr input

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

just wait until someone dies street racing, then the next day, go tot he media and tell them what you want, they'll eat it up, and it's the only time anybody will listen. Sad to say it, but it's true.
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

Originally posted by Thaco
    just wait until someone dies street racing, then the next day, go tot he media and tell them what you want, they'll eat it up, and it's the only time anybody will listen. Sad to say it, but it's true.

And when we create a new SS program and another person dies from a street racing accident although we have created this program the public will question its effectiveness.

My Ride

Originally posted by euro_racer
    i for one know that i have stopped street racing, or cut back on it because of SS

I remember EONS ago when I was 17 (right around when the first F&F came out). We had that street racing on the same street, right off of 52nd & Barlow.... around there some where (I forget now, it was night time too, every time we'd have it there). I raced ONCE, and was busted, by the police that always showup (like clockwork) to break it up.
    Well..... $2k worth of fines, 8 demerits, and my car towed. So that was that for street racing.
    I stopped going after that. A few weeks later the police organized a huge event with probably 50 officers. They were allowed by the building tenants to occupy the building where the racing would always happen. They watched and documented all the people that raced that night, and made a huge syncronized bust. 50 people were charged, (lord knows how much in total, in fines were given out) and mulitple dozen cars were towed. It was crazy, and that marked the end of that for the most part, at least for the rest of the season.

But back when that was all happening, the street racer crowd weren't these snot nose 16-18 year olds like what you have at the 72nd ave & Barlow Tim Horton's every Sat night, it was 20-40 year olds, with the same sort of cars you see at SS all the time, I remember this 900hp twin turbo Fox-body Mustang, and this 1200hp turbo '72 Challenger. It was an amazing scene.... nothing short of incredible. Sort of the world of wheels, but on the streets.
    But since SS opened, all the adults and REAL enthusiasts left the street racing for the SS events.
    I guess I was just hoping for some more info on this, but like I thought, thats damn hard to come by. Perhaps I should of asked this many years ago.
    But thanks for that tip regarding that "Petition not to close down racecity" I'll search for that right now.
    -Cheers.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

Originally posted by euro_racer

.... They need to keep a race track!
    2011 Mercedes C63 AMG //2009 Mercedes C350 SOLD //2008 BMW 335i SOLD //2006 Mercedes C Sold// 2002 BMW M3 SOLD// 2004 Porsche C4S SOLD// 2006 Audi S4 SOLD// 2005 Audi 1.8T SS SOLD// 2004 Subaru STi SOLD// 1994 LHD Toyota Supra SOLD//1993 LHD Mazda RX-7 SOLD // 2002 Honda S2000 SC SOLD// 2004 Range Rover SOLD//

My Ride
    Camaro 2SS

Originally posted by Graham_A_M

I remember EONS ago when I was 17 (right around when the first F&F came out). We had that street racing on the same street, right off of 52nd & Barlow.... around there some where (I forget now, it was night time too, every time we'd have it there). I raced ONCE, and was busted, by the police that always showup (like clockwork) to break it up.
    Well..... $2k worth of fines, 8 demerits, and my car towed. So that was that for street racing.
    I stopped going after that. A few weeks later the police organized a huge event with probably 50 officers. They were allowed by the building tenants to occupy the building where the racing would always happen. They watched and documented all the people that raced that night, and made a huge syncronized bust. 50 people were charged, (lord knows how much in total, in fines were given out) and mulitple dozen cars were towed. It was crazy, and that marked the end of that for the most part, at least for the rest of the season.

But back when that was all happening, the street racer crowd weren't these snot nose 16-18 year olds like what you have at the 72nd ave & Barlow Tim Horton's every Sat night, it was 20-40 year olds, with the same sort of cars you see at SS all the time, I remember this 900hp twin turbo Fox-body Mustang, and this 1200hp turbo '72 Challenger. It was an amazing scene.... nothing short of incredible. Sort of the world of wheels, but on the streets.
    But since SS opened, all the adults and REAL enthusiasts left the street racing for the SS events.
    I guess I was just hoping for some more info on this, but like I thought, thats damn hard to come by. Perhaps I should of asked this many years ago.
    But thanks for that tip regarding that "Petition not to close down racecity" I'll search for that right now.
    -Cheers.
    I remember being at those Barlow S. races (around 2001). One time everyone had filled the Road King parking lot, it was like and impromptu car show, with people just milling about, checking out some of the amazing (and some laughable) rides.

My Ride
    18 Model S, 20 Macan S, 67 Camaro & 11 SLS

Where is she in the maritimes?

My Ride

Saint John, NB.

My Ride

Originally posted by JAYMEZ

.... They need to keep a race track!
    Go to any track in the states, and come back to Race city, and you'll know why I'm perfectly okay with them shutting down race city. I flat out refuse to go back to it. Its the closest thing to the worst track imaginable; if your racing it on a bike.
    Too bad Bud park up in Edmonton is a fairly long drive, same with the one in Spokane, but at least their decent tracks, and very well maintained. Race city is a shit show. I personally cant concentrate on what I'm doing to the degree I'd like to be, I'm just concentrating on not crashing my bike with these poorly re-paved sections that jar me around like a roller coaster. The 1/4 mile portion of that track is the only redeemable portion of the whole thing, that and the circle track I guess you can say.
    A drag strip is one thing, a * TRACK * is another. I hope they build another strip somewhere, and bulldoze whats known as the track here. Only the cart track to the south of the race city complex is well kept.

My Ride
    996TT

So is secret street officially finished? (please have mercy if this is a stupid question..)

My Ride
    18 Model S, 20 Macan S, 67 Camaro & 11 SLS

Originally posted by Graham_A_M
    Saint John, NB.
    My home town...

Man I hate that place...

My Ride
    996TT

Nobody knows if secret is gonne be runnign this summer?

Not for sure but from what the rumor mill says yes for this year.

I am from just out side saint john. isn't the closest 1/4 mile in mirrimichi?

My Ride
    Nike's

I was speaking with a retired cop, with regards to secret street. What I found out was that there was an abandoned airstrip near MRC where they used to hold actual street races. The frequenters of the event were told that they were allowed to conduct such races as long as their were no complaints about the racers from locals. This turned the "street racers" into a self governing body, if anyone was being reckless they were pressured to leave by said frequenters.

Anecdote aside, maybe she should speak with the sheriff about such an event. I am sure the police would much rather be informed about the event rather than have it done behind their backs so-to-speak. You can use the influence of peer pressure to keep the joy-riders at bay.