Quantcast
Asus EEE PC - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Asus EEE PC

My Ride
    2017 Q7, 2013 328 xDrive

For those that own it, do you find the 800 resolution enough for most webpages? That's the only thing I'm afraid off. I hear there is 10 inch screen coming in soon, but I'm assuming it's going to be priced around $600 dollars.

Hyperzell, does MemEx have one setup in store or anything that I can play around with?

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Originally posted by HyperZell

Not a problem, it's perfect for that. The EEE PC is meant for quick and simple applications on the road, exactly like word processing or checking email.

Keep in mind, like I said before, it definitely has its limitations. Storage space, for example, and no CD-ROM, for another.
    I'm assuming it has USB ports that you can plug thumbdrives into, right?

My Ride
    1991 HDJ81 Land Cruiser

ive got one. 4gb version
    its a great machine. it is fast enfough. i am able to watch dvds on it. and i only upgraded the memory 2gb

currently planning on using as car pc. as it works great with audio files and gps and video.

windows xp on it is fine on it i might try ubuntu umpc.

bty i am using iguidance 3.0 with bluetooth gps and i love it with windows xp installed.
    where will the road take me?
    Certified Vale PDR Technitian

My Ride
    Mazda 3 GT

Originally posted by CaptainReboot
    For those that own it, do you find the 800 resolution enough for most webpages? That's the only thing I'm afraid off. I hear there is 10 inch screen coming in soon, but I'm assuming it's going to be priced around $600 dollars.

Hyperzell, does MemEx have one setup in store or anything that I can play around with?
    Unfortunately, we don't have any for people to play with, as they are too small to fit in our laptop retainers. However, you can go here:

http://honeypothack.com/eee/

To simulate the PC. Also, you can also drop by the store and we'd open one up for you to look at.

Originally posted by A790

I'm assuming it has USB ports that you can plug thumbdrives into, right?
    Yes, it has 3 USB ports and a card reader that can do SDHC. Most people throw in a 4GB or 8GB SD card in there for extra storage space, without sticking out like a flash drive would.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

Stop with the antics. Beyonder.

My Ride
    2017 Q7, 2013 328 xDrive

Originally posted by VeilOctane
    ive got one. 4gb version
    its a great machine. it is fast enfough. i am able to watch dvds on it. and i only upgraded the memory 2gb

currently planning on using as car pc. as it works great with audio files and gps and video.

bty i am using iguidance 3.0 with bluetooth gps and i love it with windows xp installed.
    How do you find the resolution with watching movies?

My Ride
    AWD grandpa wagon

Originally posted by VeilOctane
    ive got one. 4gb version

there is gps and bluetooth builtin?

My Ride
    Mazda 3 GT

Originally posted by HiSpec

there is gps and bluetooth builtin?
    No, those are mods that you have to do yourself. While some people (see above) are fine with that, most people are not comfortable with modifying their laptops to such an extent.

My Ride
    Busa

Just take a look at forum.eeeuser.com

All the information you could want on the eeePC is there.
    Last edited by UndrgroundRider; 03-26-2008 at 03:00 PM.

nm
    Last edited by e36bmw///; 03-05-2018 at 02:55 PM.

Is the wifi antenna/card on? The indicator is the blue light on the far right. Are you in easy mode or advanced desktop mode?

I've had my 8gb for a week now and its great. To answer the post above, it would be fine for taking notes in class, but the keyboard is very small and there's a learning curve to type on it. Also, yes it plays music and movies out of the box, the media player comes preloaded with a ton of codecs including divx, xvid, and more are downloadable. It comes preinstalled with open office as well so that covers all your word/excel etc type stuff.

Screen res is fine for most sites including Beyond (posting from my eee right now) and its fine for movies. Its like most 7" dvd players.

The bonus with the 8gb is that the solid state hard disk is actually a PCIe card and can be upgraded. Also comes preloaded with 1gb of ram.

Alright, so I picked up 2 of these over the last week or so. I actually ended up meeting HyperZell while I was in the store and figured out who he was after hearing him talk about the stuff mentioned above almost word for word. He was really helpful in answering all my questions in store and through pm after I had bought them. I've got nothing but praise for this guy as he is very knowledgeable and helpful. So make sure to contact him if you want anything from Memory Express!

Now onto the review. I picked up a 4G w/o webcam and a 4G w/ a webcam. I didn't notice much of a difference between the 2 versions except that the 4G w/ webcam came with a small case for the laptop. As far as OS, i hated linux and replaced it with XP after about half an hour of playing with linux (Doesn't come with XP just the drivers for XP). I installed a lite version of XP as it only had 4GB hard drive. After installing XP, microsoft office (all components), msn and antivirus, I was left with around 300MB of space left. So picking up a SD card would definitely be a good idea. I upgraded the ram to 2GB for $35. The webcam is decent for what it is, but don't expect really high quality pictures. One other difference between the two 4G models is that the one w/ webcam has a longer battery life.

This laptop is perfect for people who like portability and are using it for such things as email, internet, word processing etc. I watched some videos on youtube and they streamed fine. It starts up fast and shuts down fast. I found typing on it a bit strange because the keys are somewhat small. The screen resolution (800x600) is a tad small but is useable. Overall i'm pretty happy with the purchase, but if you do plan on buying one, make sure it will suit your needs.

@Hyper: Any insights when the 9" version will come out? And what are the specs?

My Ride
    Mazda 3 GT

Originally posted by kayzee
    @Hyper: Any insights when the 9" version will come out? And what are the specs?
    Thanks for the glowing review, cookiemonster! Hope you enjoy your EEE PC for years to come.

Kayzee, the 9" model will have either an 8, 12 or 20GB SSD HD and will come with multi-touch support, like an iPhone. There will also be Linux and XP versions, and it will come out in May. Are you thinking of getting one?

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

^^ MAY!

I'll get one of those, I was looking on the EEE forums, but am not going to mod it. I'll just wait for one with more storage space.
    Cos...

not including atom in it is such a turn off
    maybe they'll come out with a version a few months later with that in it

My Ride
    Mazda 3 GT

Originally posted by dragonone
    not including atom in it is such a turn off
    maybe they'll come out with a version a few months later with that in it

But they are including the atom chip...

My Ride
    2017 Q7, 2013 328 xDrive

Thanks for the glowing review, cookiemonster! Hope you enjoy your EEE PC for years to come.

Kayzee, the 9" model will have either an 8, 12 or 20GB SSD HD and will come with multi-touch support, like an iPhone. There will also be Linux and XP versions, and it will come out in May. Are you thinking of getting one?
    I decided to wait until the 9" one comes out, just because of the resolution. Do you know how much it might price at?

My Ride
    Mazda 3 GT

Originally posted by CaptainReboot

I decided to wait until the 9" one comes out, just because of the resolution. Do you know how much it might price at?
    It's priced in the US for $600, so it should be about the same here. Of course, that's just tentative, and things can change up until the date it's released. Keep in mind that you're at the edge of just actually getting a laptop now. The price advantage shrinks, and the purchase winners are now size and portability.

But if it still works for you, then great. I can already see these selling out very quickly, so there's definitely a market for them. And if you're getting one, I know you're going to come see me, right? ~_0

My Ride
    2017 Q7, 2013 328 xDrive

It's priced in the US for $600, so it should be about the same here. Of course, that's just tentative, and things can change up until the date it's released. Keep in mind that you're at the edge of just actually getting a laptop now. The price advantage shrinks, and the purchase winners are now size and portability.

But if it still works for you, then great. I can already see these selling out very quickly, so there's definitely a market for them. And if you're getting one, I know you're going to come see me, right? ~_0
    Haha...yes, I'll PM you before I go buy it so I can find out who you are and stuff.

I'm just afraid that the 800 x 600 resolution would cause too much horizontal scrolling on some pages, which is why I wanted to hold out for the 9", since apparently that supports 1024. But the price does go up quite a bit and it's getting close to the price of some other laptops with more features.

But they are including the atom chip...
    from what i read they are in direct competition with the new hp 8.9", so they're pushing their next gen ahead of schedule w/o putting atom chips in

they will eventually, in their second revision

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast