Quantcast
Driving over the border - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Driving over the border

Default Driving over the border

Have any of you driven over the US border recently? If so did they always asked for photo ID and Birth Certificate? We were planning on going this weekend and realized one of us just had to renew our license and only have the temp one until the photo license comes in. Just wondering if that and all the other ID's we have will be enough.
    Last edited by Maddog55; 03-27-2008 at 06:46 PM.

My Ride
    B8 A4/MKV GTI

You need a valid passport to cross the border now.

well thanks for that un-educated guess...but not when going by land and sea...only by air.

My Ride
    01 330i

As of January 31, 2008, Canadian citizens travelling by land to the United States must present one of the following:

* a government-issued photo ID, such as a driver’s licence, PLUS a birth certificate or citizenship card; or
    * a valid passport; or
    * a NEXUS or a Free and Secure Trade (FAST) card; or
    * an enhanced driver’s licence; or
    * a Certificate of Indian Status (CIS) card; or
    * for those aged 18 and under only proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate, is required.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/whti-ivho...estre-eng.html

How about Canadian Citizenship card?

k...I already KNOW what the laws are....what I'm asking is...how sticky are they. Are they asking EVERY single person in the vehicle for both pieces of ID...ie: gov't issued photo ID AND your Birth certificate...or are they sometimes not asking...

My Ride
    01 330i

Originally posted by Maddog55
    k...I already KNOW what the laws are....what I'm asking is...how sticky are they. Are they asking EVERY single person in the vehicle for both pieces of ID...ie: gov't issued photo ID AND your Birth certificate...or are they sometimes not asking...
    Sorry for the misunderstanding.

When I crossed the border recently, all of us had passports which was easy. He did go through all of our passports and roll the back seat window down to see everyone.

So I am assuming they wont let you through without both.

Originally posted by Maddog55
    You should go assuming that they're going to ask every person in the vehicle for ID. Would you rather risk getting to the border only to be turned back because you're missing information?

well that's my dilemna...booked a weekend at a real nice hotel for the weekend..and totally forgot about not having the photo licenses. So I just don't know if I should chance it and have to drive back and lose out on the hotel room...
    or go and hope I get a nice customs agent.

When we flew to Vegas the last time, it was the same requirements..(not mandantory passport yet, but photo ID and birth certificate)...yet when we went thru customs, the girl was nice and let us go with only our licenses..no birth certificates...nothing to show what citizenship we were.

So, dunno..... I lived 5 minutes from the border back in BC and drove down there 3 times a week for years...never asked for ID once. Stupid 9/11!!!

maybe call the border crossing that you'll be hitting and ask. They'd tell you better than anyone here
    heloc that shit

My Ride
    EXT

You need the photo id or you might not get in. US customs can be quite thorough. My advice, hold of on the renewal till you come back so you at least have photo ID

My Ride
    AMGGGGGGsixtythree

Yea. I was just down there recently. They definitely ask at the border as there was some guy inside trying to prove that he was who he said he was. They finally let him go after verifying by phone and other id. I wouldn't take my chances though.

well if I call....there's no way an agent is gonna say "oh yeah we might let ya through...." He's just gonna quote what the current regulations and requirments are. Saying anything else would put him in crap with his bosses.

My wife already had the license renewed...waiting for it now. So thats not an option either. I think I just might have fucked myself. out one nights deposit on the hotel. ouch.

Guy I work with had no trouble getting his wife in, when they were going down for the weekend and she forgot her license.. The older and more normal looking you are the better off.. ha

Originally posted by Supa Dexta
    Guy I work with had no trouble getting his wife in, when they were going down for the weekend and she forgot her license.. The older and more normal looking you are the better off.. ha
    Really? thats interesting. was this recent, Dexta? My wife has her temp license..credit cards, health card, birth certificate.

As for the normal looking part...hmm...that might be a problem

I guess I shouldn't bother trying to smuggle my "one hitter" across either eh?

My Ride
    Civic

I havent crossed when they dont ask for everyones id. But they do tend to speed things up when you have all your information for the reason of visit.

Take your hotel confirmation etc etc, and make sure your wife has as much id as possible. One photo of anythign and credit cards, sin etc.

I know people who go though the border alot, and sometimes you get a jack ass and sometimes you get someone who is really laid back and easy going.
    C-23-H

My Ride
    Model S

it would be a big risk. i get asked for everyones ID every single time, and i drive back and forth quite a bit. it even says on the interim license "this cannot be used for identification". you might get lucky, but be prepared to get turned around.

It was a southern BC crossing though, so its hard to say. Wasn't that long ago, just before the new yr I think.. He was PISSED cause they drove down there, then got there and she says "whoops forgot my license" but they let them thru for a day of shopping..

Ahhhhhh....

Got back from a weekend in Whitefish and Kalispell. As for crossing the border without picture ID; lol....a breeze!!

"Hi..I only have my temp drivers license and birth certificate"

"No problem....where ya headed?"

"Whitefish for the weekend"

"Welcome to Montana....Have a good trip!"

Same thing on the way back. Didn't even look in the car.
    So, as for the trip. Had tons of snow down there. still 15 foot drifts along the roads in Glacier National Park. Had an awesome time. Everyone we talked to were from Calgary or Edmonton lol.
    Next time, I'd rather go in the summer. I enjoy the golf and hiking.

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

isn't there an express service you can pay for to get the license? i know there is for birth certificates.
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

My Ride
    Model S

haha, nice...montana folks are usually more friendly. the one at vancouver is hit and miss, a lot of asses there. i hear the manitoba one is bad too.

nope, no way to get express on the license. just had to renew mine and tried to do that. passport there is though.