Quantcast
Compromised Debit Card - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Compromised Debit Card

Default Compromised Debit Card

I just got a call from TD stating that they believe my debit card has been compromised. I'm not overly concerned about my account because action has been taken but I am curious to know which company skimmed my card. Since the bank wont give me this information (due to legalities I'm assuming), I was hoping I may be able to determine it myself.

So if anyone else received a phone call today from TD regarding this, what do you think about posting up your transactions for the last few months and comparing it with others who had their cards skimmed? (Of course, you would strip dollar values, account numbers, etc to protect your information, all that would be required would be the businesses/locations. It seems like a way to potentially narrow down companies/locations that are skimming and I'd be willing to post up my transactions if there is interest.

My Ride
    CRF 250L

This has happened to me twice. My card was frozen and nothing ever happened.

All they ever said was that there was some suspicion that my card had been compromised. Funny thing is I work away from town in the oilfield for weeks on end and it happened right when I got back after a 3 week hitch.

I think there might be other reasons for them to freeze your card
    TRUTH: it's the new hate speech.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act. - Orwell

My Ride
    old Toyotas

Happened to me with my RBC card but got was broke at time anyway so lost about $100 for a week and then got it back.
    Now I'm always weary about using debit/credit at small convenience stores.

My Ride
    2001 honda civic

I work at a bank as a summer student and I see tons of these a day, clients coming in saying they got a call about their card being comprimised, about 99% of the time nothing is wrong however due to the increase in skimming within calgary, if a place is believed to have been comprimised, the bank will lock down all cards used at that location and make you come into the branch and get a new one.

Generally most ppl w compromised cards have nothing to worry about...all I suggest is if you have online banking check that for the next week or so make sure no transactions have gone/go through on your account that you didnt do...

If you changed your card ASAP after you were told then you usually don't have much to worry about, because the old card got cancelled.

Banks don't give out the info and it can be a pain...but just be careful where you use your card and check your statements carefully. Also, CC's are generally a bit better b/c most of them don't have you liable for purchases you didnt make, whereas with debit cards sometimes you can be out the money...generally with CC's though you get the money back
    Originally posted by xLostx
    I like getting random texts, some guy kept texting me calling me his girl and baby, i told him that i have aids and he should get tested. he no longer texts me
    Originally posted by dimi

I'm a grammar paramedic, unlike those assholes from the grammar police.

My Ride
    07 Avalanche

Here's an idea. Carry cash, speed lineups by 10x and only use actual bank machines. I hate debit!!!! Everytime I'm in a rush there's 10 idiots in front of me using it. Then when I'm not in a rush 10 people use cash and we're all processed in less than 5 minutes.
    The use of a debit card for all purchases is pretty much a sign of laziness in our society, can't even be bothered to goto a bank machine anymore. "Or ohhh i don't like change" "oh it's convienient" well yes it is for YOU not for other people. You might have nothing to do for the next 6 hours and I'm 10 minutes late for an important dinner.
    Anyways hi beyond... just joined!
    Last edited by zarge; 04-10-2008 at 12:52 AM.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Originally posted by zarge
    Here's an idea. Carry cash, speed lineups by 10x and only use actual bank machines. I hate debit!!!! Everytime I'm in a rush there's 10 idiots in front of me using it. Then when I'm not in a rush 10 people use cash and we're all processed in less than 5 minutes.
    The use of a debit card for all purchases is pretty much a sign of laziness in our society, can't even be bothered to goto a bank machine anymore. "Or ohhh i don't like change" "oh it's convienient" well yes it is for YOU not for other people. You might have nothing to do for the next 6 hours and I'm 10 minutes late for an important dinner.
    Dude, its 2008, who the fuck uses cash anymore? I don't use debit myself unless I have to, but I use CC for everything and anything that takes it. It has one of those paypass things, so for many places that are starting to get paypass, I just tap and go. Thats a heck of a lot faster then counting cash and waiting for your change. You got to realize that the world does not revolve around you. If you are late for an important dinner because of someone using debit in front of you, then you did not leave enough time or care enough in the first place to be there on time.

Not picking a fight, just my 2 cents

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by eblend

Dude, its 2008, who the fuck uses cash anymore?
    I do.

I find it helps me budget a LOT easier. Every Sunday I take $xxx out, and that's my money for the week, for food, gas, and entertainment. It makes you very aware of how much you spend wherever you go. I don't bother with change, give them bills, put bills back in wallet, change goes in my pocket which goes in my change jar. Usually get $500 out of my change jar every 6 months.

My debit card got skimmed a couple years ago too, I even knew what store it was because it seemed a little weird at the time, but I was just back from a 10 hour drive from Vancouver, and was too tired to think. That same night I looked at my account online, and saw $500 taken out at 12:30am (it was 12:35 when I was checking). Called and cancelled right away.

The next day I went to the gas station where I KNEW it happened and talked to the manager, she smiled and said they were caught boarding a plane at 2am to Montreal, guess they were pulling out a ton of cash from a lot of people right before they tried leaving. She gave me a free car wash for my hassles.

The worst part was, after I went to the gas station, I went to my bank, and told the cashier what happened, and she WOULD not believe me that card skimming was even possible. She just couldn't fathom in her mind how anyone could copy my card, and steal my pin#.

Goes to show what kind of training CIBC gives it's employees.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Originally posted by zarge
    I use debit because that way I find I spend LESS money.

If I take out $20.00 it seems to burn a hole in my pocket after I have broken the bill. If I debit I seem to avoid the tims everytime I drive by because I dont want to keep putting $1.50 on my debit card.

I dont really see why it matters. I worked at Starbucks to get me through college and I used to get people who were pissed they had to wait so long because they were late. I would always ask them, if your running late why are you in starbucks???
    Cos...

With regards to the detective work to find out what location is doing the skimming, I wouldn't bother, most of the time it has nothing to do with the location itself and is some lowlife that has since left once the heat was on. The banks have this stuff on high security, they'll spot the trend long before you can, and considering that it'll be the bank (via insurance) that has to pay, if they don't catch the person, you sure won't be able to. Not that I'm trying to discourage you, I'm just saying, it's probably not worth the time and effort.

As far as cash vs debit, I agree with pretty much everything Brendankharris says.

happened to me with CIBC..was pretty embarrassing when trying to pay with debit and it got rejected, only got a call from them the following week to call them and then to go in to a branch and change my pin.

My Ride
    96 Saab 900 turbo, 95 Z26, 99 CBR 600 F4, pic one.

Happened to me too. Someone booked a trip to Africa with rental car etc on my debit card and cleaned out my chequing account. Fortunately no access to my savings on my debit card. It was rather embarassing not being able to pay for my gas tho, haha. A quick call to my bank had everything sorted out and 3-4 days later all money was returned to my account.

I still use my cards just as much. Yeah it was inconvenient at the time, but the bank covers it and fixes the mistake.

My Ride
    Model S

yeah these happen ALL the time...for years now. just consider it routine. if your card gets compromised, i think every bank these days will eat the fraudulent charges. if yours doesn't, switch banks. its their own fault for having such a flawed system, and they know it, but its cheaper to eat charges and take losses than to redesign it from the ground up.

My Ride
    Nothing worth mentioning.

Sunridge Theatres
    Subway (across from Canada Olympic Park)
    Staples (so far the 32 Ave and 9 Ave locations have been compromised, but other Staples locations may also have been)
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    "Look at my small penis everyone,"

A big thing as well...cover your pin # when you use your debit card...if they skim your card...they generally have a camera positioned to grab your PIN as well...if you cover it they have a card but no pin...so its useless to them...

alternatively use a CC...from what i've heard...its easier to get the $$$ back from a CC company than a bank...as well as faster....someone correct me if im wrong on this one as I'm not 100% positive...
    I like getting random texts, some guy kept texting me calling me his girl and baby, i told him that i have aids and he should get tested. he no longer texts me

My Ride
    HPI Savage X w/mach 4 engine

^How do you know this, do you have any information to provide?

don't have information as such...its just what I've heard from different ppl...but in terms of skimming cards...they copy your card...but in order to use that copied card they have to have a PIN # as it is still a debit card...so if you cover your PIN when you use it...even if they copy the card...they wont have a PIN # to use...

if somebody has some concrete information that would be awesome though...

as for the CC...I had a friend who had something go wrong through ebay...I believe the seller didn't send an item or something...and the CC company took care of everything and refunded the money...and I believe it was done quite quickly...

My Ride
    nothing :(

Originally posted by brendankharris
    I worked at Starbucks to get me through college and I used to get people who were pissed they had to wait so long because they were late. I would always ask them, if your running late why are you in starbucks???

this is honestly the best thing i have read all day. people always bitching about being late but they are lined up at the tims or starbucks in the first place.

i havent had problems with skimmers on my card but i know someone that had it happen at the domo gas station near st. francis high school...

My Ride
    HPI Savage X w/mach 4 engine

The part of your paragraph is false sir, they're are machines out there now that can get your information even if you cover your pin. Basically the criminal goes into a store and distracts the clerk and switches the pinpad part with a dummy to where they can get your information. Basically the police say to every 2 weeks to a month or so change your pin. Covering your pin does basically nothing now.

I had my DC skimmed last year, it sucked because it was on a long weekend. I called the bank and they told me that my card may have been used for fraudulent purchaces. It turns out the something that I tried to transfer into my account went in twice and they thought that it was fraud. I'm happy that they did it, but they didn't notify me. I had to go in and explain who I was and get a new card, that was all.
    Last edited by 88CRXGUY; 04-26-2008 at 12:08 AM.

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

This has happened to me 4 times.. Im pretty much all credit now.
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast