Quantcast
Tough on crime not politically correct? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Tough on crime not politically correct?

Default Tough on crime not politically correct?

I frequently listen to 770 chqr, and talk topics are often in regards to a revolving door judicial system, and a lack of political will to change such.

For example, a recent topic discussed pedophiles being released only to re-offend. and often more than once. Virtually all callers wanted pedophiles to be locked up until they die. I've heard and read the exact same opinions on numerous occasions.

So my question is, if the vast majority of taxpayers want a certain law, such as my example, then why aren't our employees (the government) passing such laws?

I used to listen to talk radio until I realized that that was all it is. A forum where people talk about things that they haven't really thought through, and no one is willing to do anymore for these issues that they feel passionate about in the moment. It's easy to say 'hang 'em all'. But actually trying to make change is just too much work for these people.

The way people think & approach dealing with violent/repeat offenders in Alberta & the West is a little different than the 'hug-a-thug mentality' that seems to permiate in Central/Eastern Canada. The people are more liberal in their thinking and believe that we need to rehabilitate offenders instead of keeping them locked up, with the idea that these people can be 'shown the way' to a better life through various measures.

Sadly, Alberta does not make up the 'vast majority of taxpayers' in this country. Our views are taken as extreme right-wing, even though our goals are essentially the same... to stop violent crime from (re-)occurring... it is our paths to this goal that are very different.

While I firmly believe that tougher sentences will not really deter violent crimes from occurring, I do believe they will at least keep the offenders off the streets for much longer periods of time, which means the number of re-offenses will decline, which is fine by me.
    Last edited by masoncgy; 06-09-2010 at 01:48 PM.

My Ride
    fg2

Originally posted by dexlargo
    I used to listen to talk radio until I realized that that was all it is. A forum where people talk about things that they haven't really thought through, and no one is willing to do anymore for these issues that they feel passionate about in the moment. It's easy to say 'hang 'em all'. But actually trying to make change is just too much work for these people.
    exactly.

everyone talks like they care about stuff. becuase no one wants to look like an asshole. but at the end of the day 99% of people really dont give a shit. as long as they get to keep living their lives in their little bubble and not get hassled. they could care less about all the horrible shit going on in the world around them.

I agree with all those points, but I'm more specifically wondering:

If the vast majority want a law, and politicians just want more votes, then passing laws such as 'pedophiles are locked up until death" would ensure more votes. Yet, that's not happening.

What am I missing?

The problem is, the vast majority does not want the same laws and of course on the political side, some key demands of one segment of society will be vehemently opposed by another segment, creating a hot potato that politicians wish to avoid (think abortion or capital punishment).

Many people oppose various legislation because of political stripes... so even though it's a reasonable piece of legislation to enact, it will be opposed because it seems to represent the wrong party or ideology.

If a Conservative MP introduced legislation to say... make child molestation an automatic life sentence in the same way as 1st degree murder, it would be shot down by the Liberals/NDP & Bloc as they would see the measure as 'too extreme' and 'too right wing'...

...even though it is likely to be a deterrent & also keeps the opportunity for repeat offenses out of the public domain for a longer period of time.

We all want the same end result... no victims of crime or less victims of crime... but we do not see the way to achieve this goal the same, that's why it's hard for the nation to reach a consensus on the tough issues. We tend to run to our respective corners, beat our drums, push our position and leave little in the way of compromise with those that think differently.

We're one complex, opinionated, divided nation. No question.

Originally posted by masoncgy

If a Conservative MP introduced legislation to say... make child molestation an automatic life sentence in the same way as 1st degree murder, it would be shot down by the Liberals/NDP & Bloc as they would see the measure as 'too extreme' and 'too right wing'...
    My assumption is that the vast majority of the oppositions constituents would agree to such legislation. So, wouldn't the opposition lose votes and be seen as not wanting to protect our kids if they opposed that legislation?

Or are you saying that my assumption is incorrect?

My Ride

And of course, the is always the skew that is the intent of a law vs the implementation of the law.

We all have the concept that a sex-offender is some filthy old man, raping children in the park -- but what happens when an 18 year old boy gets arrested for having sex with his 17 year old girlfriend, or when a man loses against a rape charge from a pissed off girl...

What really needs to happen, is we need to get tough and get REALLY serious about designating inmates as "dangerous offenders". We already have this legistlation and it allows someone to be incarcerated indefinately when there is a likely chance that they will re-offend.

We also have passed legistlation that on the comission of the third violent offence, the burder of proof is on the defendant to prove why he is NOT a dangerous offender, as opposed to the other way around.

We need to hold the parole board/procecutors and judge's feet to the fire -- not the politicians. They can chest beat all they want, but the fact is that the laws are there and they're not being used.

Originally posted by Seth1968
    My assumption is that the vast majority of the oppositions constituents would agree to such legislation. So, wouldn't the opposition lose votes and be seen as not wanting to protect our kids if they opposed that legislation?

Or are you saying that my assumption is incorrect?
    It's an incorrect assumption. As I mentioned, we all see the reduction/elimination of crime in our society as a common goal, but it's our paths to making that happen that differ.

- Those with a softer approach to crime would want to attempt to rehabiliate a criminal versus keeping said criminal locked up for long periods of time, citing imprisonment costs, 'cruel & unusual punishment' concerns, etc.

- Tougher approach would mean very lengthy sentences and no chance for early release/rehabilitation, citing patterns of repeat offenses, etc as reasons why being soft is the wrong approach.

You'll note that unanimous legislation passages in Canada certainly do not deal with any significant/divisive matters because running a platform on such is typically political suicide for leaders & their parties alike.

Bloody politics, eh?

Originally posted by Crymson
    And of course, the is always the skew that is the intent of a law vs the implementation of the law.

We all have the concept that a sex-offender is some filthy old man, raping children in the park -- but what happens when an 18 year old boy gets arrested for having sex with his 17 year old girlfriend, or when a man loses against a rape charge from a pissed off girl...

What really needs to happen, is we need to get tough and get REALLY serious about designating inmates as "dangerous offenders". We already have this legistlation and it allows someone to be incarcerated indefinately when there is a likely chance that they will re-offend.

We also have passed legistlation that on the comission of the third violent offence, the burder of proof is on the defendant to prove why he is NOT a dangerous offender, as opposed to the other way around.

We need to hold the parole board/procecutors and judge's feet to the fire -- not the politicians. They can chest beat all they want, but the fact is that the laws are there and they're not being used.
    This ^^^^^

I am all for giving people a chance, but pedo's etc are let out time and time again to re-offend. Get tough with the dangerous offender law and keep them gone...
    Last edited by tirebob; 06-10-2010 at 08:04 AM.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

The whole "cruel and unusual punishment" thing also drives me nuts.....it seems like lawyers are trying to argue every punishment fits this broad category.

Whatever happened to hard labour camps where you worked off your debt to society?

Take the criminals who can never be rehabilitated to work in an isolated area somewhere so that:

a) they can contribute to society
    b) they are unlikely to re-offend
    c) they are kept from being idle

Originally posted by dexlargo
    Just like Beyond!

My Ride
    4 doors, 4 cylinders

As long as Canada has a Liberal party, it will never happen.
    Just because it happened to you, doesn't make it interesting.

My Ride
    Forum youngblood

Talk radio killed the battery in my car.
    Originally posted by Crks&Cstls
    Dido