Quantcast
Venting Story - Highway 2, Seniors, my STi, and Police not "wasting" their time - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Venting Story - Highway 2, Seniors, my STi, and Police not "wasting" their time

Default Venting Story - Highway 2, Seniors, my STi, and Police not "wasting" their time

I need to vent this story, cause what happened today was rediculus.

So around 4:30 pm, I was driving back from Red Deer to Edmonton, driving 115km/hr in my STi while all other traffic flying by me.

Right outside of Leduc, there is a brand new Nissan Titan truck crusing at 105 km/hr, so I decided to finally pass, and start pulling past it, and little do I know his cargo in the box is not tied down properly. A gust of wind must have stirred up his cargo, and a lid from a storage container flys up like a frisbee, does a 360 in the air and comes swooping down right on my front bumper. The thing explodes on impact sending plastic all over the place, freaking me out.

Im obviously mad at this point, pull up to the guys window and give him the pull over look. After about 10 minutes straight of him ignoring me, he finally decides to pull over. Turns out this fellow is 70+ years old with a bad attitude. I explain the situation to him saying his cargo hit my car. First he doesnt believe me until I show him the missing lid of his cargo container. His reasoning was "yes it flew off, but i don't believe it hit your car." Then he says im lying about the damage, that im trying to get money from him and scam him. He tells me there is no damage and he cant see the scratches and hes not giving me any information. Funny thing is, he pulls out a cloth and starts buffing out the scratches, so I tell him, to not touch my car, yet he refuses. So I step infront of him to get his hands off the car, the guy starts telling me im full of myself, and a crook. So I get out my phone and call the cops. The dispatcher was reasonably nice, but informs me if the damage is less than 1000 dollars, they will not send a cop car and I have to file a report. At this point in time, I pretty much have to cut my losses, hes not going to resolve anything. The scratches will most likely come out with a buffer, luckily it was a plastic, and not metal lid that hit it. In the mean time the fellow is pacing back and forth looking at my bumper saying I could have damaged it anywhere and im blaming him. So I ask the guy, how would he feel if I take a baseball bat out of my car, hit his front end 10 times, and we'll call it even? Im like this is a 50,000 car, not a beater that I kick around. Well, that comment set him off even further, I thought was was going to drop dead at that point, so better to diffuse the situation and try to see what reporting this lunatic would resolve.

So I take down his licence plate, and hes still going off that he has all the time in the world, and he'll follow me to the police station. I drive in to edmonton, and he bolts down 23rd ave. Does not follow me at all as I figured. When I try to file the report at the millwoods police department, the lady "politely" tells me, this is an RCMP matter, and the EPS will not take any cases outside of city limits. Senior Citizen 1, EPS 1, Kartelli 0. So I then drive to Beaumont RCMP station, and their closed saturdays and sundays hahah. Senior Citzen 1, EPS 1, RCMP 1, Kartelli 0.

So now im sitting here thinking, Im lucky that there was no severe accident due this seniors negligence. I was not out to give this guy a heart attack, but anybody with some decent common sense would offer to resolve the issue and not escalate it to what it was on the side of the highway. Im still shaking my head.

Alright im done venting, tomorrow is a new day.

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

sounds like a shitty day... i drive up and down highway 2 all the time and if that happened to me i would be pretty pissed off as well.

So your car isn't damaged?

The lid scuffed and scratched the clear coat where it hit, 4" long from the direct impact. I think I can make out the "rubb" from rubbermade.

i think you should've went back and picked up his lid..

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

call the RCMP detachment that was closest and ask him to be charged with failure to make a police report.

then call your insurance, give them his plate, and get him charged
    Cos...

Originally posted by The Cosworth
    call the RCMP detachment that was closest and ask him to be charged with failure to make a police report.

then call your insurance, give them his plate, and get him charged
    The problem is that loose cargo is not a vehicle to vehicle collision and therefore a police report is not required of the other driver.

The other driver could be charged under the Vehicle Equipment regs of the TSA which require that cargo be secured, but that's about it. I am not sure what the fine is now, but it used to be only $25 under the old Highway Traffic Act. Though it has gone up considerably, I suspect it is no more than $287.

the other driver of course, would also be civilly liable for the damage caused.

EPS cannot go out into RCMP territory to invistage matters that arise outside of RCMP jurisdiction, unfortunately.

Sorry to hear that Kartelli.

A positive thing is that his life is nearing its expiry date.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

The EPS is FULLY able to handle files outside of Edmonton, the fact of the matter is they generally choose to not do so unless its a serious event that involves an Edmontonian

(eg. Alberta-wide arrest warrant for an Edmonton subject found in just outside the city)

Their "jurisdiction" is Alberta-wide (unlike the RCMP who are under federal legislation).
    Last edited by revelations; 06-15-2008 at 10:58 AM.

My Ride
    Nothing worth mentioning.

Next time kick the old fella in the shins and while he's down, go fuck up his shit.

My Ride
    S54 M Coupe

Originally posted by revelations
    The EPS is FULLY able to handle files outside of Edmonton, the fact of the matter is they generally choose to not do so unless its a serious event that involves an Edmontonian

(eg. Alberta-wide arrest warrant for an Edmonton subject found in just outside the city)

Their "jurisdiction" is Alberta-wide (unlike the RCMP who are under federal legislation).
    Right, and you think an undermanned, overworked municipal Police force is going to investigate a non-serious accident, where no one was hurt, on the highway?

Yeah, right. That's RCMP territory, and they should handle it.

Originally posted by revelations

You got it backwards. They have authority province wide as police officers, but their jurisdiction is the city of Edmonton.

Their responsibility is the city of Edmonton. It is common practice to report the incident in the area that it happenned.
    "It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong....I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives.

You sound a little high strung.. 50k car.. ha.. and maybe a scratch.. whoppdy doo. move on...

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Originally posted by DayGlow

You got it backwards. They have authority province wide as police officers, but their jurisdiction is the city of Edmonton.

Their responsibility is the city of Edmonton. It is common practice to report the incident in the area that it happenned.
    Thats what I meant to say, they are LEO's in Alberta but their general operating area is Edmonton.

My Ride
    old Toyotas

you should've grabbed something similar to the lid, and then drove in front of him and threw it at his car.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Did you have a cell phone with a camera? Most people do now and I would have taken pictures of the truck with it's load and the piece that hit your car. Wouldn't be hard to get a settlement from his insurance.

My Ride
    Axis powers

i was driving to edmonton once and some huge piece of styrofoam (thats what i think it was anyways) fell off a semi in front of me. there was a semi in the right lane in front of me, the semi hit the foam and it exploded. chunks flew off and hit my car.. my bumper and signal marker are damaged.

last year i was driving on the anthony henday road in edmonton and a rig truck pulled out in front of me, a pipe flew off it right into my windshield

so yea, consider yourself lucky you have no damages
    Sig nuked by mod.

My Ride
    2011 Mustang GT

Originally posted by Supa Dexta
    You sound a little high strung.. 50k car.. ha.. and maybe a scratch.. whoppdy doo. move on...
    Telling me you wouldn't be pissed? My cars are an extention of me, what happens to them reflects on me. Doesn't sound like you have the same passion.
    Beyond's Most Wanted

My Ride
    WRX

Can't believe some of you guys would attack a old guy over this and vandalize his property after some accident that leaves barely a scratch.

^ if you were there, and buddy is calling you a liar and a cheat when he clearly knew he was at fault (trying to buff out the scratches quickly), how would you react? He even went as far as saying "YES, the lid flew off my truck, but prove it hit your car"

Im sorry, that is sheer ignorance, 200 dollar buff, and all would be grand. But to call me liar/cheat for damage they caused, im sorry you do deserve an ass kicking regardless of your age. Im a firm believer of respecting you "elders" hence me not raising my voice nor swearing at the fellow. I think thats respect enough for the given situation.

It took me a long time to save up and pay for the STi, let alone to have somebody else do some damage to it... abit high strung you ask, well its all your relative value for a dollar.

All in all, im glad it was minor, could have been way worse, I completely agree.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast