Quantcast
Looking to adopt a cat or dog? Go to SPCA!!! - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Looking to adopt a cat or dog? Go to SPCA!!!

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

Smile Looking to adopt a cat or dog? Go to SPCA!!!

I've started to volunteer at the SPCA in SE Calgary recently and there are some really great cats and dogs for adoption there. Being a volunteer pet care person lets me play with the animals and its a lot of fun.

There are a few cats which I would adopt but my dog and my allergies wouldn't like that too much.

Two month old Mega is a Blue Grey short hair that purred the whole time. He is such a cutie and didn't whip out the claws like some cats.

Pixie Stick was another sweetie who was curious and cuddly.

If you are considering getting a pet, please think of the SPCA first instead of Petland. (more likely adoption is cheaper than buying from Petland anyhow....what a rip)

There can be more than 400 cats at the SPCA at a time. The ones on display are only half of the ones there. Most are kept in holding until the onsite vets can give them clearance.

Calgary Humane Society Website

My Ride
    Toyota Sequoia

thanks! i'm looking at getting a dog myself.

My Ride
    Civic, MDX

Default Re: Looking to adopt a cat or dog? Go to SPCA!!!

Originally posted by lelalong
    There can be more than 400 cats at the SPCA at a time. The ones on display are only half of the ones there. Most are kept in holding until the onsite vets can give them the needle .
    Fixed.

But seriously, I completely agree with you, and wish that more people would adopt from the humane society. I picked up a couple kittens 2 years ago. It is depressing to see all the cats/dogs in the cages "further back" that in all likelyhood won't be adopted, especially the older or less friendly ones. the people at the SPCA have a tough job, and they have my full respect.

And remember, have your pets spayed or neutered

My Ride
    Nothing worth mentioning.

Ok Bob Barker. Kidding.

I got a dog from the SPCA.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "Look at my small penis everyone,"

+1 for the SPCA. Everyone should go and check out the animals before shelling out $600 on a purebred.

I'm still deciding whether to get a kitten again but if I do I will go down and help them out! Do they have newborns?

My Ride
    Civic, MDX

Originally posted by jay42w8
    I'm still deciding whether to get a kitten again but if I do I will go down and help them out! Do they have newborns?
    My 2 kittens were 7 weeks old, pretty much as young as you can buy. There were a couple litters I chose from, each with 5-6 kittens. Of course, their pet availability varies from day to day.

My Ride
    2005 Honda Civic

Buying from places like Petland is likely going to hook you up with problems anyway. A coworker bought 2 Chihuahuas there and one of them was super sick......

puppy mills
    Originally posted by adamc
    you can pretty much skip over any posts that have no punctuation, as a general rule of thumb.

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

we went with the "street cats" group for our cats because of their no kill policy
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

I believe that Petcetera has in-store adoption centers for animals from the humane society, just another option that's available.

My Ride
    AMGGGGGGsixtythree

Can I adopt a cat and see if it suits my family? ie: allergies and stuff.

My Ride
    PL24T

Originally posted by em2ab
    Buying from places like Petland is likely going to hook you up with problems anyway. A coworker bought 2 Chihuahuas there and one of them was super sick......

puppy mills
    Places like petland buy from locals who have cute mutts a lot of the time. I know from experience.

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

Mega is a 2 month old kitten. Tiny little meow that will melt your heart. They have quite a few kittens right now. But don't forget about those older cats!

FYI, at the SPCA, cats are the ONLY animals put to sleep due to lack of space. They have a lot of space for cats and they only had to put a few to sleep this year which is great (compared to numbers in previous years)! It might be due to the cat licensing bylaw so people keep their cats inside.

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

Originally posted by TYMSMNY
    Can I adopt a cat and see if it suits my family? ie: allergies and stuff.
    Not sure if they will do a trial stay. I did that with a dog through Furever After (a foster care association). We had an overnight visit with the cutest dog but my allergies flared up. I was sad but he found a good family in the end which is important.

You can also check out www.petfinder.com. There are A LOT of adoption associations that have cats and dogs.

My Ride
    GSR

I'm actually trying to volunteer at the humane society, what was that volunteer info night like?

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

Originally posted by trieu
    I'm actually trying to volunteer at the humane society, what was that volunteer info night like?
    First thing I noticed was that 95% of the volunteers are women...so I told my buddy that he should volunteer to meet some cute girls...hahaha jk.

Seriously, the info session is to tell volunteers about the SPCA and the types of volunteer positions that are available. Jeanette is really nice so she's a good coordinator for the volunteers. You also sign up for a one on one sit down with her so she can determine the best volunteer position for you. If you have lots of experience with animals then you can do pretty much any on the list.

As long as you don't have some annoying middle aged crazy women in the info session (dressed in pink Stampede gear who constantly interrupts with tales of her cats and dogs ), it's pretty interesting.

My aunt just adopted a feral cat that was living under her front step- he was sick and the SPCA nuetered and nursed him back to health.

They tried to convince her that he was unsuitable as a pet, apparently no one could touch him there.

Once I get into my own place thats where I plan to pick up a dog for the kids.

My Ride
    Your car

I got (rescued) a dog at the SPCA and I couldn't have found a more wicked pet. He loves everything, I mean 'everything'.. on our walks, he tries to play with birds, cats, and anything that breathes.

Pisses me off how people keep wanting designer or trendy dogs that keeps puppy mill and back yard breeders in business.

Yeah, we obviously 'chose' a dog in respects because our condo has bylaws to adhere to... regardless, we saved one from possibly death. We got the biggest dog we were allowed to have because the bigger dogs are usually put down because most peeps want mini-dogs.

We walk/run him every day and play fetch in the empty basement, he gets a lot of exercise... probably more than most humans. LMAO
    ~As a species, we're fundamentally insane. Put two of us in a room, we pick sides, and start dreaming up reasons to kill one another. ~

We've adopted two cats from the Humane Society and couldn't be more happy with them. Highly recommended.