Quantcast
Apparently I'm getting Sued for posting Contact Information!? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Apparently I'm getting Sued for posting Contact Information!?

Default Apparently I'm getting Sued for posting Contact Information!?

Alright since my last post I wanted to update saying I have received 4-5 emails from the ebay users threatening to sue me for posting his Address and Name on the internet.

The Story:
    Have wasted $300+ On shipping to address and names that don't match and about a month trying to sell my iPhone on ebay. Because users use fake names and address's and pay with other peoples paypals accounts etc etc. So i posted this guys information on a forum to get confirmation they go hand in hand before I ship it because whitepages.com was not working at my office. And they did match so I shipped the item last monday and got these emails yesterday.

Emails go like this.

"Hey ,look what I found: http://www.gearlive.com/forums/viewthread/19451/
    WHAT THE HELL IS THAT???????? YOU DONT HAVE A RIGHT TO POST MY PERSONAL DATA IN THE INTERNET! YOU WILL GO TO COURT FOR THAT!"
    "whitepages.com doesn't have any iformation about me. You took it from eBay, and it was CONFIDENTIAL!
    my lawyer told me to sue you for 3 000 USD.
    So, be in Los Angeles county court next thursday:
    Burbank Courthouse
    300 East Olive, Burbank, CA 91502"
    "I can discard listenings on thursday.And remember that i will leave feedback for you on ebay! "
    "The only way we can solve this problem is my moral compensation.I spent a lot of money for my lawyer!Your choice!......."

Should i take this seriously?

My Ride
    06 TL

i'm wondering if i should take YOU seriously

Originally posted by JoniBoy
    And why is that?

I've been a user here for a while until my account got banned for reasons beyond my knowledge.

Give me a fucking break...

Originally posted by ZorroAMG
    Give me a fucking break...
    Hey, I'm just making sure im clean here.
    Sometimes things that seem obvious aren't always that way.

You mean this thread? http://forums.beyond.ca/st/230284/su...t-information/

Anyways, I'd personally tell him to get his lawyer to contact me directly since he's threatening you directly about suing you, but didn't get his lawyer to write up anything yet. Maybe you should lawyer up and see what he/she thinks.

When you shipped out the iPhone though, did you know ahead of time that the shipping address/name doesn't match the payment address/name?

While I'm giving out advice, I'd also personally try to deal locally instead of on eBay/Craigslist/Kijiki or whatever to cut down on the bullshit you've been dealing with. (Damn those Nigerians!)
    Last edited by Amysicle; 08-16-2008 at 04:29 PM.

Originally posted by Amysicle
    You mean this thread? http://forums.beyond.ca/st/230284/su...t-information/

Anyways, I'd personally tell him to get his lawyer to contact me directly since he's threatening you directly about suing you, but didn't get his lawyer to write up anything yet.

When you shipped out the iPhone though, did you know ahead of time that the shipping address/name doesn't match the payment address/name?

While I'm giving out advice, I'd also personally try to deal locally instead of on eBay/Craigslist/Kijiki or whatever to cut down on the bullshit you've been dealing with. (Damn those Nigerians!)
    No I wanted to confirm the address/number matched before I went ahead and shipped the iPhone. The hassle i've dealt with has been driving me up the wall. From a simple google search I saw the number and address werent in the same city so red flags were up high and the fact it took the guy 5 minutes to tell me his address on the phone when I called him threw up some more red flags.

Also doesn't the fact im in Canada when I posted the information and he lives in the states play any role?

My Ride
    MB C63

Tell the guy if he's serious to send some paper work regarding this whole ordeal.

If you're that worried get a lawyer and see what he has to say about this whole situation.

Personally I would just tell the guy the STFU and get on with his life as should you.

My Ride
    79 Country Squire 95 Deville 09 Jeep JK

From e-Bay Privacy Policy.....

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/privacy-policy.html

"Using Information from eBay

eBay enables you to share personal and financial information to complete transactions. We encourage you to disclose your privacy practices and respect the privacy of other users. We cannot guarantee the privacy or security of your information and therefore we encourage you to evaluate the privacy and security policies of your trading partner before entering into a transaction and choosing to share your information. To help protect your privacy, we allow only limited access to other users' contact, shipping and financial information to facilitate your transactions. When users are involved in a transaction, they may have access to each other's name, User ID, email address and other contact and shipping information. In all cases, you must give other users a chance to remove themselves from your database and a chance to review what information you have collected about them.

You agree to use user information only for:

eBay transaction-related purposes that are not unsolicited commercial messages;

using services offered through eBay (e.g. escrow, insurance, shipping and fraud complaints), or

other purposes that a user expressly chooses. "

So, I would consider your inquery on a forum about the validity of a user's information in the context of an e-Bay transaction to be within the Privacy Policy.

My Ride
    '92 RPS13

My Ride
    18 Model S, 20 Macan S, 67 Camaro & 11 SLS

Originally posted by JoniBoy

You can't talk to him like that, what do you think you're doing... that's it.

I'm suing you for 964.37... see you in court mofo. (Court location TBD)

My Ride
    2007 subaru impreza

Originally posted by Jlude

You can't talk to him like that, what do you think you're doing... that's it.

I'm suing you for 964.37... see you in court mofo. (Court location TBD)

What?

This is serious bullshit. Everyone knows 964.37 is my personal suing amount. Since you stole this exclusive number I'm going to sue you for the amount of $1 billion trillion dollars. Biatch.

Originally posted by icky2unk
    Have wasted $300+ On shipping to address and names that don't match and about a month trying to sell my iPhone on ebay. Because users use fake names and address's and pay with other peoples paypals accounts etc etc.
    Originally posted by icky2unk
    No I wanted to confirm the address/number matched before I went ahead and shipped the iPhone. The hassle i've dealt with has been driving me up the wall. From a simple google search I saw the number and address werent in the same city so red flags were up high and the fact it took the guy 5 minutes to tell me his address on the phone when I called him threw up some more red flags.
    I meant, the previous times you tried to sell it and experienced these problems. Did you know at those times as well that the information didn't match?

If you didn't feel comfortable in completing the transaction with the guy for any reason, you should have just stopped it right there. Greed/desperation to get rid of the iPhone put you in this position.

My Ride
    GTI

Greed/desperation to get rid of the iPhone put you in this position.
    Put him in what situation? Some douchebag is threatening to sue, and has no chance winning the case?

icky2unk, tell this guy to suck your balls.

they can't sue you for that
    and if you just offer no return policy you'll be fine.

My Ride
    Lease

Originally posted by Hakkola

Put him in what situation? Some douchebag is threatening to sue, and has no chance winning the case?

And tell him because you had to share your horrifying experience on Beyond, we'll be filing a class action counter sue.

My Ride
    '97 BMW 328is M-Sport

Also tell him he has to serve you court documents before they'll set a court date.
    Originally posted by FraserB
    I think their main complaint is that they did not receive the stolen property they paid for.

My Ride
    Modded Turbo Jetta

be a smart ass back and ask if he would be willing to split for the trip down

Originally posted by Hakkola

Haha fine. Mostly in the, well I already spent over $300 trying to get rid of this iPhone so I'm going to consider a sale with some scam artist even though there are red flags in my head, type of thing.

Originally posted by 97'Scort
    Also tell him he has to serve you court documents before they'll set a court date.

Yes he cant simply send you a PM and honestly expect to take this seriously. When people are getting sued they are generally hand delivered a subpoena or contacted by their lawyer with their demands. And I doubt he would be hiring a lawyer for 3000 dollars, the lawyer would take more then half. I am by no means a legal expert but this sounds like he is out to scam you some money.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast