Quantcast
Bus driver gets slap on hand - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Bus driver gets slap on hand

My Ride
    2017 Nissan Morano/2018 Chevy Cruze/2001 Dodge2500

Default Bus driver gets slap on hand

Not to sure if people remember so here is the link...

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...ub=CTVNewsAt11

Anyways I was reading the paper and the woman who killed the kid got a $2300 fine and 3 months no driving.

This is so SAD. Many people here probably have paid more in speeding tickets for the last year or two.

My Ride
    66 Accord

I hope you havent paid near or more than $2300in fines with a 3 or more month suspension...

But really she should have a greater penalty.

So everyone that gets in a car accident should go to jail?

If there was no negligence involved why should she get any worse of a punishment?

My Ride

Lol no no.. when we were younger though we got tickets up the ying yang.

Anyways the point is, that this is a huge flaw in the Justice system. You get a ticket for doing 10-15km over on a 6 lane highway putting no one in harms way, but some person who is transporting kids not paying attention kills someone and get a small fine and is still be able to drive.

There were no criminal charges laid against her. She was charged with careless driving. The judge gave handed down a judgement that was as harsh as he could. He gave her the max according to Alberta guidelines.

I think 90 days of no driving isn't enough and I don't think the fine was enough. The only thing that makes it kind of better is that she has to live with the fact that she inadvertantly killed a child. She has to live the rest of her life with that guilt.

But really guys, our justice system is a joke. The punishment rarely fits the crime.

My Ride

Originally posted by sputnik
    So everyone that gets in a car accident should go to jail?

If there was no negligence involved why should she get any worse of a punishment?
    Dude she wasent paying attention and drove into another vehicle killing a child.

My Ride
    66 Accord

Well she shouldn't be able to transport children as a profession for some time at least..

Oh im 19 and have no traffic fines yet :P

And there should not be a speedlimit of 60 for any 3-4 lane roadway...

My Ride
    MDX

Originally posted by snoop101

Dude she wasent paying attention and drove into another vehicle killing a child.
    It is a vehicle accident. If she mowed down the kid while she was standing on a sidewalk it would be different.

Originally posted by jdmakkord

It is a vehicle accident. If she mowed down the kid while she was standing on a sidewalk it would be different.
    Very true.

But not sure how anyone could argue there wasn't any negligence. She plowed the side of her bus into a gravel truck parked on the side of the road. You have to have fallen asleep or be blind to have that happen. And it wasn't just a scratch on the bus, it was enough force to kill the girl and seriously injure her sister.

It's a tragic situation. Not sure if jail-time is warranted here as it was an accident. But 90 days probation? She should be banned for life from her profession.

EDIT:
    I also wanted to add that this isn't just any regular accident either. This is the woman's job. She is paid to drive these kids to school SAFELY.
    Last edited by anarchy; 09-03-2008 at 11:58 AM.

Originally posted by anarchy

Very true.

But not sure how anyone could argue there wasn't any negligence. She plowed the side of her bus into a gravel truck parked on the side of the road. You have to have fallen asleep or be blind to have that happen. And it wasn't just a scratch on the bus, it was enough force to kill the girl and seriously injure her sister.

It's a tragic situation. Not sure if jail-time is warranted here as it was an accident. But 90 days probation? She should be banned for life from her profession.

Wasnt she talking on her cell phone or something? I was also under the impression when this happened bystanders said she literally PLOWED into it, like minimal braking was used so she would have not have had her eyes on the road AT ALL to hit that truck.

$2800.... thats pretty tame, but she should have her job revoked for life.
    Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

My Ride

Problem with the police here in Calgary is that its not about safety its about money.

I moved here from BC and its amazing how bad it is here. I have been here for 3 years and have not been through one road block. In BC you go through them about once every week if not more during the summer.

I have never seen police at any school zone. What I have seen though is police sitting on Crowchild near memorial where if you are traveling south it goes from a 80km zone to a 60km zone for no reason. The reason for this is because they make the most money.

Obviously im not blaming the calgary police for what are Justice system is doing, but it all goes together.

Originally posted by snoop101
    Problem with the police here in Calgary is that its not about safety its about money.

I moved here from BC and its amazing how bad it is here. I have been here for 3 years and have not been through one road block. In BC you go through them about once every week if not more during the summer.

I have never seen police at any school zone. What I have seen though is police sitting on Crowchild near memorial where if you are traveling south it goes from a 80km zone to a 60km zone for no reason. The reason for this is because they make the most money.

Obviously im not blaming the calgary police for what are Justice system is doing, but it all goes together.
    First of all, how does your post relate to this thread? She got away on the lenient Alberta laws.

Second I go through a road block maybe once a month?

Third there's a designated cop at almost every high school...
    Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

My Ride
    '16 Sportwagen

I heard she was listening to an MP3 device so obviously had headphones in her ears which is a big no no when driving. It was full and complete negligence. The truck was pulled over out of the traffic lanes and the driver still managed to completely plow into it when the road conditions were perfect. I think she should have gotten vehicular homocide.

Originally posted by jdmakkord

Depends what you mean by "mowed down a kid".

If she actually meant to do it, then it is different.

If she accidentally did it because she wasn't paying attention to a situation that any reasonable person would be expected to be able to avoid, then it's exactly the same thing. She wasn't taking due care and a child died. Whether that child is outside or inside the car makes no difference.

My Ride

Originally posted by 403Gemini

First of all, how does your post relate to this thread? She got away on the lenient Alberta laws.

Second I go through a road block maybe once a month?

Third there's a designated cop at almost every high school...
    What im trying to say is the Alberta in general does not have a balance of safety over money.

The courts let off people for killing and the cops are out to make money and not protect people. The cops sitting on the side of the road at the end of the month are not there to promote safety in the city. There sitting there so they can meet there Quota for the month.

I agree that the police have nothing to do with this case, but the courts do. Its all about Justice in Alberta, which is poor.
    Last edited by snoop101; 09-03-2008 at 12:19 PM.

Why did she get a fine when that girl ran over people in a cross walk and got off scott free?

My Ride

Originally posted by mazdavirgin
    Why did she get a fine when that girl ran over people in a cross walk and got off scott free?
    Same sh$t different pile.

Canadian justice system at work.

My Ride
    jeep YJ, Dodge Caravan

I am sure I will get flamed for this, but I wonder why everyone has a holier than thou opinion on this. My God this woman has to live with the guilt of this girls death for the rest of her life. I don't know about the rest of you, but I am sure that would be more than any of you could handle. If she was given anymore of a punishment it is for the general public to feel better about our "system" which I think is comlete crap. She feels genuine remorse and has asked for forgivness and has not recieved it. and the fact that some of you agree that she should be stoned for this is a true statement about our society. yes our criminal system is a joke, howver this time I think they got it right. She is not a criminal she made the biggest screw up that any of us could make. And now she has to deal with the fact that she killed a child. If any of us think that we are better or above her, then that person should be the perfect driver. ie don't talk on a cell phone, don't play with the cd deck, ipod, mp3 player. hands always at 3 and 9 have a good following distance and always obey the speed limit and other traffic laws. I hate to point it out, but if you don't do all these things you risk "killing" somebody by your actions. and that make you a hypocrite.

now I will get off my soap box........I just feel that her guilt is really more of a punishment than anything thing the "system" can hand down.

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

It was no accident. Accident is something you can't prevent.

It's simple, if you want real justice for your child (who is killed or injured) - you're going to have to get justice all on your own. And why not really...

Our system - one that allows innocent children to be killed by people who are definitely in some way directly responsible ... Our system - yeah, the one that lets these losers walk the streets freely. Our system - it is all fucked up and we're all mad about it and yet nothing changes because we lack the capacity to really revolt.

You've heard the saying, if you want something done right, do it yourself. I keep waiting for one of these parents who loses their only child to brutally kill the person responsible after the government feels it suitable to set them free with community service.

Yet it always seems these people are losing just one child, and they have another - so still something to lose. But it's just a matter of time before someone goes off the deep end and takes the law in to their own hands.

Why is it OK to kill children in Alberta as long as the weapon is a BMW? Or a Bus? Why???

Fuck no. These people should be in Jail. Maybe not forever, but definitely for a long enough period of time to serious waste away the better years of their life. 10-15 years would be a nice start.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast