Quantcast
Jurisdiction of Rural Peace Officer (Sheriff) - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Jurisdiction of Rural Peace Officer (Sheriff)

Default Jurisdiction of Rural Peace Officer (Sheriff)

Does anyone know if the rural peace officers outside of Calgary have jurisdiction (power to issue tickets) in Calgary.

I got a ticket on a detour from 32 AVE NE / 84 ST NE. There is construction that does not permit you to drive north on 84 ST beyond 32 AVE.

The detour leads you onto a RGE RD that runs parallel to 84 ST NE. However, the sign says 100 ST NE for the detour section, but it is a RGE RD.

How do you guys figure?

My Ride
    AWOL

Pigs a pig, even railway pigs can give you traffic tickets.

My Ride
    79 Country Squire 95 Deville 09 Jeep JK

CP Police carry sidearms as well.

My Ride
    NOYB.

Sheriffs have jurisdiction everywhere in the province.

Also, 100 ST NE was annexed earlier this year. It may still have a range road sign, but it is inside Calgary now (as the new city limits).

EDIT: Did the car say "SHERIFF" on the side or "PEACE OFFICER"? Because the "PEACE OFFICER" cars, around Calgary, are almost guaranteed to be Municipal District of Rocky View special constables.

My Ride
    Z

I was under the impression that all officers of the law in Canada had jurisdiction anywhere in the country. I'm also sure if the officer gave you a ticket he probably knows where he can and can't issue tickets if he has a durisdiction.

EX: Calgary police officer goes to Winnipeg for whatever reason on duty. They can still give you a ticket.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Your busted....pay the ticket.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    jeep YJ, Dodge Caravan

Man I am sick of these threads. If you get busted pay the damn fine. Do you honestly think an officer is going to ticket you if he is out of his Jurisdiction. Give me a freeking break.

2002civic is offline Held my GTI hostage and got unbanned
    My Ride
    19 SQ5/22 Pilot BE/18 RS3

Originally posted by BlkMaxima
    I was under the impression that all officers of the law in Canada had jurisdiction anywhere in the country. I'm also sure if the officer gave you a ticket he probably knows where he can and can't issue tickets if he has a durisdiction.

EX: Calgary police officer goes to Winnipeg for whatever reason on duty. They can still give you a ticket.
    nope, pretty sure only RCMP have that power

Default focus is out of line...

yo joker, keep ur trap in another thread. It was a simple question to see what others have heard of 100 ST NE... the orange construction signage says 100 ST NE on the path of detour, but RGE RD 285 on the other. I wanted to ask if the PEACE OFFICER (as stated on his vehicle) made a human error in lasering me in his vehicle on city annexed road and then hoping that is out of his jurisdiction.

I had the occasion where cop pulled me over for illegal left turn during rush hour... however in fact the two were wrong! The no left turn during rush hour was a block before where I supposedly made the infraction. So I was immediately correct and not at fault.
    Last edited by juvyjo; 09-05-2008 at 07:03 PM.

My Ride
    NOYB.

Well, here's the important part ... were you exceeding the posted speed?

Yeah the peace officer said I was going 108. I have full pictures showing from the left turn onto 100 ST NE and going north all the way up to the stop sign at McKnight Blvd (the end of the detour), there was no construction signs or posted speed limit signs.

I told the peace officer that and he said as a licensed driver in alberta I'm supposed to remember that rural hwy is 80 km/h limit.

My Ride
    NOYB.

He's right.

Alberta's Traffic Safety Act
    Standard speed limits

106 Subject to a speed limit that is prescribed under section 108 for a highway,

(a) 100 kilometres per hour is the maximum speed limit for a primary highway that is located outside an urban area;

(b) 80 kilometres per hour is the maximum speed limit for

(i) a highway that is subject to the direction, control and management of

(A) the council of a municipal district or Metis settlement, or

(B) the Minister responsible for the Special Areas Act, in the case of a special area;

(ii) a highway that is within a city where the title to the highway is vested in the Crown in right of Alberta pursuant to section 22 of the Public Highways Development Act;

(iii) a highway that

(A) is located on an Indian reserve where the title to the highway is vested in the Crown in right of Alberta, and

(B) is not the subject of an agreement entered into pursuant to section 13 of the Public Highways Development Act;

(iv) a forestry road;

(v) a licence of occupation road;

(vi) a highway located within an improvement district;

(vii) a highway that is subject to the direction, control and management of the Minister responsible for the Provincial Parks Act;

(c) subject to clause (b)(ii), 50 kilometres per hour is the maximum speed limit for a highway located within an urban area.
    I'm willing to bet that your ticket falls under 106(b)(ii).

If you want to spend time and money in court fighting the ticket, go for it - but the judge will 99.99% definitely throw out your protest based on the above section of the Act.

Here I was all ready to go on a rant about people taking responsibility for their actions and you come along with a fairly legitimate reason to challenge the ticket.

thanks jay... your feedback was thought provoking and hoped my quandry will serve the enlightened members of this forum for future reference.

I've been digging through the traffic act to see if he screwed up my ticket description for any human error reason:

http://www.qp.gov.ab.ca/documents/acts/T06.cfm

I asked Calgary city police officer, he said the rcmp, peace officer, and sheriffs are empowered to interpret traffic safety act in the city... and city folks have the ability to do so outside of calgary too....