Quantcast
Vitamin D - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Vitamin D

My Ride
    the ladies crazy!

Default Vitamin D

Hey guys this thread is sparked from a post i made in a thread today..i thought id make people aware of how important Vitamin D is for you. It helps in prevention of multidudes of disease and helps over 200 organs in your body. I would encourage everyone here to get a Vitamin D blood test when you have the oppurtunity. It wasnt possible to have Vitamin D tested before but now you can. Vitamin D is a "sunshine vitamin" and only 15 mins in the sun can give you upwards to 10,000 iu's depending on darkness of your skin. I would recommend taking 1,000 iu's daily of Vitamin D in pill form everyday regardless of how much sun your getting especially now that we are not going to be seeing to much sun. Familiarize yourself with the benefits of Vitamin D with a simple google search and definitely get a vitamin D blood test!

My Ride
    Torqueless wonder!

http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2007/...lthcanada.html

"It warned that taking more than 2000 IU a day from all sources of vitamin D could lead to health problems and that Canadians should speak to their health professional before increasing their vitamin D intake above this threshold."

Are you sure it's 10,000 from 15 minutes of sun? Sounds a bit odd, why would supplements be needed if sun intake is so high?

My Ride
    the ladies crazy!

IMO its not good to be sitting in the sun all the time..thus most people use sunscreen/uv blockers which would block most of the vitamin d absorption..also you can get skin cancer. But if you have vitamin d deficiancy it would be a good thing to soak up some sun for 10-15 mins then throw on some sunscreen. Also, it depends on your skin color as to how much sunlight your actually absorbing. Me personally I take some vitamin d throughout the year and not as much in summer exactly because of the sunshine and take about 1000 iu during winter. But it is important to first see your Vitamin D levels and then take an approach from there, because everyone will be different. My purpose is to just get some awarness out there as Vitamin D can be a great way to improve health if your lacking this nutrient, as many people may be but dont no it!
    Life is a Gamble.

My Ride
    BMW E86 M Coupe

Hmm...I am not entirely sure on how valid your point is on it helping "200 organs" in your body.

Vitamin D is by no means a miracle vitamin that is all of a sudden on the scene, people have known of its effects for a long time.

Vitmain D is very essential in absorbing calcium. This in itself is a very important property. However in many food items you will see that vitmain D is added when there is an abundance of calcium present in the food. For example, if you look at any 4L of milk, you will see in fine print that it says that Vitmain D is added to it. This enhances the absorption of calcium through the diet.

Vitamin D is essentially converted directly into a hormone upon consuption, and it helps to increase the absorption of calcium through the diet. Calcium in the body is very finely regulated, usually stored and released in the bones.

However Sasuke_Kensai is right when he said that you should consult your doctor before taking vitamin D pills/supplements. It is not needed for most people unless you have difficulty absorbing calcium or have hypoparathyroidism. DO NOT take vitmain D supplements without consulting yoru doctor because it is very easy to get vitamin D toxicity.

In general, I would not recommend vitamin D supplements for the average person.

My Ride
    Axis powers

since when did the human body have 200 organs?
    Sig nuked by mod.

My Ride
    93' civic, honda for lyfe!!

I believe its best to get it from the sun because once your body converts the colesterol into vitamin D and reaches a point of saturation, it stops, so you won't overdose on vitamin D. However if you take pills you might overdose and that is counter productive to your body, and hard to lower.
    Originally posted by 89s1
    I leave the safety off the gun stuffed in my belt. I'm not worried about shotting off one of my balls. I got a spare.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Originally posted by r0g3r
    I believe its best to get it from the sun because once your body converts the colesterol into vitamin D and reaches a point of saturation, it stops, so you won't overdose on vitamin D. However if you take pills you might overdose and that is counter productive to your body, and hard to lower.
    Interesting. Don't know about the whole cholesterol conversion, but I do know this: Cholesterol is usually directly related to triglycerides. Lower those and your cholesterol will be low too.

Carbs raise tris. I was cutting for most of the start of '08 and for the last 3 weeks of my cut I went full keto.

I got blood work to make sure everything was in check. It was. In fact my bad cholesterol was a bit to low for my personal liking. Low bad cholesterol has a direct relationship with lowered testosterone production. I need higher production for maintaining muscle/gaining strength while dropping body fat on a cut.

The reason I bring this up is because during cutting I was mega dosing with fishoil (30g/day) which is high in Vit D. So personally it had zero effect on my cholesterol. Maybe I didn't reach saturation?
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft