Quantcast
mini-notebook (netbook) your opinion - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: mini-notebook (netbook) your opinion

My Ride
    nissan

Default mini-notebook (netbook) your opinion

Just wondering what everyone's input is on the new craze with mini notebooks (netbooks) I'm really considering getting one of these things to not lug around my laptop to school. Just not sure if i want Linux and a Sold state drive, or if i should go with Windows XP

If you already have one:
    which one do you have?
    Do you like it / regret it?
    would of get it again?

My Ride
    2017 Q7, 2013 328 xDrive

I have the Asus EEE PC 1000h and I love it. It does everything I need, which is basic net surfing. I found the screens on the 8.9 model a bit too small. It would definitely hurt my eyes if I started at it for too long. I saw the 901 and the 1000 side by side, so it was easy for me to make the decision to get the one with the larger screen.

Mine has Windows XP on it.

My Ride
    Subaru Impreza (White)

yeah definitely get something larger then the 7 inch screen on the first Asus EEE.... the 7 inch screen was much to small to surf the internet comfortably...

My suggestion is go to a place like memory express and try surfing some web pages and see if you are comfortable with the way the pages are shown.

also run by one of the future shops and check out the acer aspide ones. they have them on display. i really like them and you great a great deal i feel in that package.
    1995 Talon Esi - 1989 Lebarron - 1991 Mr2 Turbo - 1991 Accord - 2005 Corolla - 2005 R6 - 1993 Talon Tsi - 2013 Mustang Coupe - 1997 Grand Prix GTP

I have the Acer Aspire One. Hard to beat for the price. $410 for 120 GB drive, winXP and 1 GB of RAM, in addition to the Atom processor. The EEE was appealing, but the price point was getting up there. The Acer had similar features and weight, and costs less, so I have it instead.

My Ride
    2017 Q7, 2013 328 xDrive

The thing I didn't like about the Acer One was the placement of the trackpad buttons.

For sure try to check out as many as you can.

if i had 2000+ i would've gotten the new sony 11" w/ bluray lol

the 1000h is serving me well

My Ride
    nissan

For people running the Acer aspire One, Is it possible to get the linux version with the 80 GB SSD and then istall windows on it? I like the solid state because it saves weight, but would like if it had windows instead of linux

My Ride
    TDI

You mean 8GB SSD... and yes you can install windows on it... I returned mine because it was painfully slow with only 512 of memory and the slow SSD drive.

My Ride
    NOYB.

I have the eeePC 901 with WinXP. It's actually my second, as the first one developed some problems (noisy fan and bad keyboard - think it overheated at one point, 'cause the fan would only work if the case was tapped sharply).

It's a fine portable computer so long as you don't expect to do anything seriously high-performance with it. Games are a no-no and I can't get h264 video to play without stuttering, even though I've culled the useless junk off the machine and installed proper codecs et al.

As a portable PC, it performs quite well. I have OpenOffice on it and can do my work documents just fine - spreadsheets and text documents. For a guy with big hands like me, the puny keyboard is a bit of a pain, but I have a wireless keyboard I can connect and play with.

It was a fun surprise when I plugged it in to my widescreen monitor for my (currently defunct) desktop PC and was able to use the monitor's full 1920x1080 resolution...

Battery life is ridiculous too... I had it at work the other night and after 30 minutes of "intensive" work (several runs of "disk" defragging) it still had 97% battery life measured at 5 hrs 2 mins of runtime.