Quantcast
Purchasing Experiences (long) - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Purchasing Experiences (long)

My Ride
    L-Tuned

Default Purchasing Experiences (long)

I was so pissed off after my experience with a local dealership that I almost didn't want to waste the time to post a thread about it. But here goes anways. I've been involved in numerous purchases for myself/friends/family from Toyota, BMW, Lexus, and Honda. By far, this is the worst experience I've ever had. I'd go far enough to say that this will probably be the first and last Acura I'll ever consider.

Although I'll refrain from mentioning the specific name of the dealership, you'll be able to quickly and easily ascertain it from the details below. I still cannot believe how disappointed I am with the overall purchase experience of our brand spankin' new '03 3.2TL. I've already have some bad experiences with this dealership 2-3 years ago, however given that this was so long ago, I just figured they would have improved since the dealership was only relatively new at that time.

Anyways, hoping there was improvement in the dealership, we went to look at the 3.2TL. Decent car for the money since we were after an entry-level luxo highway cruiser. Salesman didn't seem to know too much about the vehicle and was feeding the usual BS during the test drive. Most of the time, I give no leniency to salespeople, but that day I kept my mouth shut for the most part this time. In short, here's a list of what went wrong in this deal:

1. Salesman jumps out of his chair and YELLS at us in a rage of fury for not accepting the counter offer and not willing to deal anymore. Continues to accuse us of playing games and wasting his time. - Pffft, nice try - we had been there for less than 40 mins including the 20 min test drive around Country Hills, Nosehill and Crowchild. Even during the test drive, he spent a good portion of the time on the cell with his wife. I gave the guy the benefit of the doubt and continued speaking with him despite his "Incredible Hulk" acting debut.

2. Promise made on delivery date if we put down a deposit right away - usual sales tactic, but I'm going to hold them to the promise. New promises broken 3 times by salesman and sales manager. Condition of sale was based on the promised and GUARANTEED delivery date of NO LATER THAN 2 WEEKS.

3. No calls from the dealership after putting the deposit down for updates, thank-yous, etc in the entire 2 weeks after. We ourselves had to call regarding the status when the delivery date neared. 3 separate days, we were told we'd receive calls later that day for updates. Never ever received the calls thereafter.

4. Salesmanager is rather untruthful regarding delivery status, reasons for delay, and refuses to accept repsonsibility. They say it's not their fault - so who's is it? Mine? Screw the Salesmanager...So I sit down and have a heart-to-heart with the dealership's GM informing him that service and business practices are substandard compared to other dealerships (and yes, truthfully worse than the BMW experience). I busted this guy on his excuses and he had nothing to say or back himself up with after that. Finally he accepts responsibility after seeing all his excuses get shot down and apologizes.

5. Car finally arrives so I go check it out late at night. Car is covered in dust and dirt, but no biggie since it just got delivered and they'll probably clean it before giving it to us the next day. Go to pick up car the next morning and it's still dirty. Salesman claims it was washed and cleaned a couple of hours ago that morning. Salesman gets mad at me for telling him that the car wasn't cleaned and proceeds to tell us that all the dust and filth were from the smoke in the air due to forest fires. Yeah right, 2 hours of sitting outside will cover the car in dust and soot. And gee, explain why it looks the same as it did the night before.

6. 3M film was applied with the accuracy of 10-year old. Some areas looked like bubble wrap due to the many air and dust/dirt bubbles (HUGE). I tell the salesman to have it corrected before we take delivery. He rolls his eyes and again proceeds to insult my intelligence in his well-practiced condescending tone. He explains that all the bubbles are normal and will disappear in a day in the sun. The guy who did the 3M tells me the same. I've had 3M done recently done on the IS and seen it done to over 15+ cars...never once have I seen that many bubbles before and of that size. Ok, fine, so we tell him we'll come back 2 days later to get the car if they disappear. Well, guess what? 2 days later, I get a phone call and I'm informed the bubbles are still there and won't go away due to dust and dirt trapped underneath (no shit Sherlock, that's what I explained 2 days ago). 3M is finally completely redone at this point.

7. Hood minorly scratched during 3M process, loose mouldings, one of doors not aligned correctly - problems that were all REFUSED to be corrected by salesman since (and I quote) "No car is manufactured perfectly. I have no control over what they do at the factory Sorry, these problems are common." WTF? These were all problems that were legitimate and could easily be fixed at the dealership level. Fine, so go directly to the GM again. Items are fixed before we take delivery.

8. Get a crappy box of 5-6 cookies delivered to the house worth a whole of $2. You're too kind . Drop cash at your dealership and all I get is $2 worth of cookies? Granted a TL isn't that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things, but only $2 worth of cookies?? My sister got way more when she bought her Tercel years and years ago.

9. Althought not directly related to the purcahse, I took a look at some of the TSXs on the lot while I'm there. What do I notice? Hmm...tire wear on 6-8 of the TSXs parked on the lot look unmistakably familiar of being at the Race City roadcourse. Either that, or some Extremely spirited driving in the twisties was happening. Tires treads were worn, ripped, and started to peel; edges of the tires were agressively chewed and worn away almost completely; rotors showed definite signs of abuse. No plates on any of the vehicles. I ask around and they deny that the cars were ever at the track or received any aggressive driving or treatment. Yeah, sure....

I know I've probably missed a few more points, but I think you generally get the idea of how miserable this purchase was. Granted, most of my dissatisfaction has to do with the salesman and the salesmanger, but still...the dealership must take responsibility for the actions/words of its employees and representatives. ISO certified dealership they brag to me

Although I'm probably sure I won't ever be buying another Acura again, I'd recommend that you head down to Macleod Trail if you're inclined to purchase any new Acura.

<end of rant>

On a more brighter note, I must say that the BEST experiences I've ever had were at Lexus and Infiniti. Always treated with respect, always cared for, always attention to detail, and always kind, professional, attentive, and courteous.

My Ride
    NC1

Rough stuff!!!
    Not only was Silverhill's service pleasant, I also got approved with subpar credit and managed to get a free tire cause the gf blew one while driving in a construction zone!!
    Not to mention free oil changes for letting them fill out the consumer surveys!!!

Went in on Monday and picked up the car Thursday at noon

Man that sucks, such lack of professionalism from NW Acura! I said it for you
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    NC1

I honestly would of left after point number one. No prick ass salesman is going to yell at me!!!
    I am user #49

My Ride
    GTI

I can't stand bs'ing salesmen, and I really dislike it when they have little or no knowledge, when I spend 15 minutes researching a car, and they actually get paid to sell these cars yet I know more, it just doesn't seem right.

At the mcloed trail Acura it didn't seem to bad, they let us take a 3.2TL home for a night, Volvo also let us take an S60 T5 for an entire weekend, I think it's pretty important to go to a good dealership and have a good relationship with them before ordering an expensive car from someone. I'd hate to have to go through all that b.s

My Ride
    01 Integra SE / 07 Lexus GS 450H

Wow man thats a crazy story!! Those guys had no respect at all.

My Ride
    My poor half working baby...

Yikes - I knew there was a reason I strayed from honda - I used to get the shaft when I had my integra back in the day before imports became big and they thought I was just a punk kid.

Hope you find the right amount of ammunition and rage to go deal with them through "effective" means jk

I agree with you though, Lexus has been very good to me as well and the experience at infiniti when I checked out the G35 was pleasant as well.

Hopefully someone from the dealership can stumble across this and realize what a bunch of tools they are.

My Ride
    2010 Mazda 3

Originally posted by max_boost
    I honestly would of left after point number one. No prick ass salesman is going to yell at me!!!

I still can't believe he actually yelled at people he's trying to sell a car to. So far the worst we've experienced at a dealership was the Service dept. at Stampede Toyota. After bringing it in a few times, they had to call the Lexus Service ppl to figure out what was up w/ our Highlander

Best service we've experienced to date is High River Toyota. It really is worth the drive

My Ride
    L-Tuned

Haha, me on most days would have. But I gave him the benefit of the doubt...Who knew the ball would keep rolling after that...

My Ride
    01 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4

Sorry to hear you had shitty dealings. It does not matter how experienced you are at sales or any other type of business. Why the F$#@ would you yell at any client. I appreciate this thread in the fact that i will now never go there for anything. I have been there before while looking at rsx's or used Integras and even then something felt wierd. I recieved no service at all. Just so you and everyone else knows, 3M stoneguard film is only Authorized by Trim Line on 12th NE for installation. Anyone can get it and say they are good with it, but trust the pros at Trim Line. ( my aunts store )
    I can't believe I'm driving Ferraris in those vids. I'd never be caught dead in one now.

My Ride
    335i

How much leniency did you have in negotiating the price on an Acura?
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    07 Mazdaspeed 6, 89 Mustang LX

I had awesome experiences test driving etc with Silverhill Acura on Macleod, even though I didn't ultimately end up buying a car from them.
    Drag racing is for fast cars. Solo 2 is for fast drivers.

Last edited by kaput; 03-13-2019 at 12:47 AM.

My family had the SAME experience at NW Acura when my mom was purchasing her RSX. As soon as we paid for the car...we didn't hear from them about the delivery date...we had to wait a whole month and some before the car finally got delivered to us. NW Acura sucks ass.

Ed..just fill out the survey form you'll be getting in a couple weeks time...if the salesman gets two poor ranking surveys he gets canned...or just b*tch and compain to HONDA Canada so to not jeopardize your free oil changes! hahaha!
    Originally posted by ashee
    What's 30 grand when you're buying a BMW, M6 please.

Originally posted by t-im

You sound like the type of guy who would buy a C-Class just so you could tell people you have a Benz.
    Oooh the irony.

My Ride
    2Look slk

OMG...I can't believe you went through all of that! They should've given you free 3M or free servicing etc. for all that you went through...as a gesture of good will!!

I've had bad experiences at Infiniti so not everyone is immune from having bad service.

Why does it seem, at least in my experience, that all the luxury car dealerships are snobby and treat their customers like crap whereas the other dealerships appreciate their customers and give them tons of freebies? Seems like the more expensive the car you buy, the more you're treated like crap!

I was charged for warranty work at Lonestar and was treated very rudely by the service department. On top of that, they left me stranded at the UofC while I was getting an oil change and I had to take a taxi!

My Ride
    NC1

For many years Lexus was ranked #1 in customer satisfaction so no surprise there. As for Mercedes and any other luxury dealer, there should be no excuse. If I'm spending that much money, they better treat me with respect or else they are going to hear about it!!!
    I am user #49

My Ride
    96 T/A

Haha...
    The Acura dealership I went to in the north west refused to deal with me after I told them I had visited Silverhill first...
    Silverhill was very decent to me... Ended up buying from them...

My Ride
    Audi

Best dealership experiences for me are at silverhill (didn't buy, just really pleasant sales guys), Sunridge and Stadium Nissan for sales, and Brasso Nissan for service (by far the best) and Sundre Motors (GM Dealership).

Silverhill's the best I've seen.. we got jacked when we bought our first car from Jack Carter.. didn't really get jacked in High River Honda, I actually jacked them, but then they jacked me back with the service.. then we got the Integra from Silverhill and had no hassle or anything..

My Ride
    '21 F150 Lariat Nardo Grey

No kidding! I would've poked him in the eye and walk out.

Were there no customers around while you were "negotiating"? Shoulda caused a scene.

My Ride
    89 Civic ZC

yo my friend got better service at a used called dealership, The car said 1000 on the window, we argued him down to 400, the salesmen preomissed my friend that all the gears work in the car, so after we take the car home, we get a flat tire, the syncros are warn out on 3 and 4 and the car died, wehn we brought the car back the next day and told him everything that went wrong, he took the car back on trade and sold my buddy a car with 1800 on the window for 200 bucks+trade, although we had to wait for about an hour for him to do the "paperwork"

And I thought we were gettting bad service......

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast