Quantcast
Reigning in Teen Drivers... your thoughts? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Reigning in Teen Drivers... your thoughts?

My Ride
    01 BB6 :(

Arrow Reigning in Teen Drivers... your thoughts?

Programmable key will rein in teen drivers

Tom Krisher Associated press

Oct 06, 2008

DETROIT–So you think junior is a little too lead-footed when he drives the family car? Starting next year, Ford Motor Co. will give you the power to do something about it.

The company will roll out a new feature on many 2010 models that can limit teen drivers to 80 m.p.h. (128 km/h), using a computer chip in the key.

Parents also have the option of programming the teen's key to limit the audio system's volume, and to sound continuous alerts if the driver doesn't wear a seat belt.

"Our message to parents is, hey, we are providing you some conditions to give your new drivers that may allow you to feel a little more comfortable in giving them the car more often," said Jim Buczkowski, Ford's director of electronic and electrical systems engineering.

The feature, called "MyKey," will be standard on an unspecified number of Ford models when the 2010 cars and trucks come out late next summer. The feature will spread to the entire Ford, Lincoln and Mercury lineup as models are updated, spokesman Wes Sherwood said.

Ford arrived at the 80 m.p.h limit even though freeway speed limits are lower in most states because it wanted to leave a margin in case an unusual situation arises, Buczkowski said. In some states, freeway speed limits are above 70 m.p.h., Sherwood said.

"Just lopping it off at exactly 70 m.p.h. was felt to be too limiting," Buczkowski said.

The company already uses computer chips in its keys to prevent thefts. The car won't start unless it recognizes the chip in the key.

"It's making use of existing technology, and through the magic of software, we're able to build features on top of the features we already have," Buczkowski said.

In addition to speed limits, MyKey also will limit the volume of the audio system, and it will sound a six-second chime every minute if seat belts are not fastened. The chime sounds for adult drivers, too, but ends after five minutes to avoid annoying adults who adamantly don't want to wear seat belts, Buczkowski said.

Parents also have the option of having the car sound a chime if the teen exceeds 45, 55 or 65 m.p.h.

Ford said its market research shows 75 per cent of parents like the speed and audio limits, but as you might expect, 67 per cent of teens don't like them.

Danisha Williams, a 16-year-old senior at Southfield-Lathrup High School in suburban Detroit, said she's against the idea.

"I wouldn't want my parents to have that much control over how I'm driving," she said. "If your parents are holding your hand, you're never going to learn.''

Brittany Hawthorne, 17, another Southfield-Lathrup senior, said there may be emergency situations where she'd have to drive more than 80, possibly to accelerate to avoid a crash.

Ford's research shows that parents would be more likely to let teens use their vehicles with the system, Sherwood said, and if it gets them the car more often, the number of teens objecting drops by nearly half.

A top official from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, a research group funded by the auto insurance industry that is pushing to raise the minimum driving age to 17 or 18, found the key intriguing. IIHS says car crashes are the leading cause of death among teenagers.

"Research we've done has shown that speeding is a major factor in teen crashes, especially novice teen drivers," said Anne McCartt, the institute's senior vice president for research. "So I think a system that tries to correct the speeding behavior has the potential to improve safety.''

More than 5,000 U.S. teens die each year in car crashes. The rate of crashes, fatal and nonfatal, per mile driven for 16-year-old drivers is almost 10 times the rate for drivers ages 30 to 59, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

http://www.wheels.ca/reviews/article/405598

i am for this system to be honest.

Except kids are more tech savvy then their parents.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Won't stop kids from seeing who can get to 80mph first....
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Ok... so the idea is to ensure that inexperienced younger drivers do not hit certain "maximums" in the car. (Speed, volume, etc). Obviously, this is for safety reasons.

What if a young person driving decides he wants to beat the train that is coming. It would normally be a close call, but the teen would normally get through. This time, however, just as he gets close to the track, the engine cuts out as it has hit the limit.

SMACK.

This is, of course, an extreme scenario. I would expect limiting speed would save lives as opposed to take them. But it just seems to me that keeping the car from doing what the driver would EXPECT it to do seems a little dangerous in itself.... no?
    Last edited by Kloubek; 10-06-2008 at 06:54 PM.

^ One less teen driver on the road?

the article quoted that over 5000 US teens die each year, but didn't say how many of those died while going over 80 mph. You can kill yourself in a car pretty easily well before you reach 80 mph if you are doing stupid things.

I'm too much of a pussy to drive like a dick.

Originally posted by Kloubek
    Ok... so the idea is to ensure that inexperienced younger drivers do not hit certain "maximums" in the car. (Speed, volume, etc). Obviously, this is for safety reasons.

What if a young person driving decides he wants to beat the train that is coming. It would normally be a close call, but the teen would normally get through. This time, however, just as he gets close to the track, the engine cuts out as it has hit the limit.

SMACK.

This is, of course, an extreme scenario. I would expect limiting speed would save lives as opposed to take them. But it just seems to me that keeping the car from doing what the driver would EXPECT it to do seems a little dangerous in itself.... no?
    Thats a bit far fetched.... put fast and the furious away Toretto, nobody is racing any trains
    Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

My Ride
    Axis powers

i'll support it

i don't know how many times i see kids in their parents cars trying to do stupid shit
    Sig nuked by mod.

My Ride

I'm for it. The only time I did over 120 when I was a kid was when I was doing something stupid (I grew up in the country, and did alot of stupid things in cars), and the typical family car doesn't have the best high speed handling either. I don't trust the average driver above 120, let alone teenagers... at least this will delay the drivers from making bad decisions at high speeds until they have a bit of experience under their belt.

My Ride
    slow

Sucks to be a teenager...
    Gas, Break, Bounce and Scrape

Originally posted by CMW403
    fucking lethbridge kids

My Ride
    Perpetual Test Drive

80mph, that's still pretty quick. 80 mph in a Ford must be an experience.
    War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

fuck that
    HKS T04Z Bridgeport FD3S

Could you set it so they can't listen to emo or rap music? Can it set their hat straight and bend the brim?

God that would be nice.
    Was the #1 Forum Warrior

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

Originally posted by Toms-SC

Could you set it so they can't listen to emo or rap music? Can it set their hat straight and bend the brim?

God that would be nice.

and tuck in their shirt...
    ...@therealarifjina...

im all for it, but it still wont stop them from doing 80 mph down mcleod trail haha

jesus christ

this doesnt effect me in anyway but i see it more and more everyday some fancy bullshit further limiting the need for a brain
    2001 celica pro mod project, in progress
    87 fox hatch,[email protected] skating, stock 5.0 shortblock,91 co-op pump gas, 11 lbs boost

Originally posted by EK 2.0

and tuck in their shirt...
    Na, more like pull up their pants.
    Was the #1 Forum Warrior

My Ride
    CBR600RR

Won't solve a damn thing.
    In reference to Rob Anders:
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    Hes not really that bad...

Default Re: Reigning in Teen Drivers... your thoughts?

Originally posted by Casa

Brittany Hawthorne, 17, another Southfield-Lathrup senior, said there may be emergency situations where she'd have to drive more than 80, possibly to accelerate to avoid a crash.
    Anybody care to cite an example of when you'd have to exceed 140kph to avoid a crash

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast