Quantcast
Should the City buy Cecil? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Should the City buy Cecil?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Default Should the City buy Cecil?

http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/...c-3b43cf7c488d

Especially the Drop-in center next door wants it for the same purpose and Cecil owner wants more $ smelling a pay day. We are facing record tax increases and why should our tax money be wasted in that joint?

Discuss

My Ride
    MB C63

They should buy it and expand that intersection, forget about the drop in center...all that should be dumped into the east calgary part of downtown.

Another issue is what happens to these people when they don't have this place to hang out at? Anyone driven through Bridgeland recently?

My Ride
    AMGGGGGGsixtythree

Drive them out the Vancouver like Ralphy did?

My Ride
    '72 Volvo 1800E / '11 Escape

they should buy it because if they don't its going to remain the slime filled cesspool it currently is for another 20 years before it finally falls down.
    It currently makes a wonderful first impression to tourists as they come over the flyover into downtown.
    2006 Edmonton Indy - Heatstroke
    2007 Vegas Grand Prix - Fremont awesomeness
    2010 Montreal Grand Prix - Section 11!
    2011 Edmonton Indy - Mudfest
    2012 Nascar Autoclub 400 - Convinced I attract rain....
    2016 Spa & Monza. Ya baby!

Originally posted by TYMSMNY
    Drive them out the Vancouver like Ralphy did?
    Bus them a couple hundred miles north of mcmurray in january and let them find their own way back..

My Ride
    16' Tacoma Offroad

I cant stand walking past it, but its the quickest route on foot to my destinations down town.

It's embarrassing that all the tourists see them as they come into downtown, but its fucking halarious when the cops take one down

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

At my work we recently had a "teambuilding" exercise. It was, in short, a scavenger hunt, where one of the items on the list is to have our 5-person team on one hotel bed, drinking champagne. (don't ask)

To spice it up a bit, we opted to see if we could get a room for a few minutes at the Cecil. Figured - well, everyone else rents them by the hour don't they? Should be easy - and funny in a grotesque kind of way.

Well, upon going inside, I can guarantee you all that it is exactly what everyone would expect. The bedsheet - though made quite nicely, was stained all over. The window was smashed out. The sink was rusting, and the flooring was coming up.

Just figured I'd quell any curiosity anyone might have had about what the inside of the place was like...

My Ride
    2008 BBP Accord Coupe

Yeah I think its a good idea for the city to buy it out and then move on with trying to revitalize that area of the city. I enjoy driving past it though, there's always some sort of shit going down at all hours of the day
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague.”
    —Cicero, Roman statesman and lawyer

My Ride
    STi

With all the construction in Cgy, why not give the bums extremely low pay at some of them? they can eventually make their way up or die from it...

My Ride
    Acura Integra

Just b/c the Cecil is gone doesn't mean those people who hang around it will magically disappear. They'll just find another place to go and turn that place into a shithole.

Every city needs a "bad side of town" so I say just keep the Cecil and don't waste any more money.

My Ride
    01 Integra SE / 07 Lexus GS 450H

To bad our city the " bad side of town" is at the entrance.

Originally posted by Kloubek
    At my work we recently had a "teambuilding" exercise. It was, in short, a scavenger hunt, where one of the items on the list is to have our 5-person team on one hotel bed, drinking champagne. (don't ask)

To spice it up a bit, we opted to see if we could get a room for a few minutes at the Cecil. Figured - well, everyone else rents them by the hour don't they? Should be easy - and funny in a grotesque kind of way.

Well, upon going inside, I can guarantee you all that it is exactly what everyone would expect. The bedsheet - though made quite nicely, was stained all over. The window was smashed out. The sink was rusting, and the flooring was coming up.

Just figured I'd quell any curiosity anyone might have had about what the inside of the place was like...
    "Scavanger hunt" ... whatever man, how was the hooker?
    Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Originally posted by 403Gemini

"Scavanger hunt" ... whatever man, how was the hooker?
    Lol! Actually, it is all on video tape. The scavenger hunt I mean. No hookers in the shot at all. (We asked them to move to the side....) lol

Originally posted by Genjuro
    With all the construction in Cgy, why not give the bums extremely low pay at some of them? they can eventually make their way up or die from it...
    The vast, vast majority of the homeless are already there, they are the working homeless. They use facilities like the drop inn or sally ann for support and within a year they have enough money to rent a place.

The very small precentile have no desire to work, or because of addiction to drugs or alcohol, or mental illness cannot work.

For them there is no viable answer. The mentally ill could be institutionalized, but people think that is wrong, so they roam the street. The people with addictions cannot be helped unless they want it first. The majority that hang around the Cecil don't.
    "It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong....I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives.

Roaming the streets is more humaine than locking them up. Sure they are going to cause issues but would lions cage up a mentally ill lion?

Weird analogy, sure, but think back to animal behaviour in a sense.

My Ride
    GTI

Originally posted by ZorroAMG
    Roaming the streets is more humaine than locking them up. Sure they are going to cause issues but would lions cage up a mentally ill lion?

Weird analogy, sure, but think back to animal behaviour in a sense.
    No, but they would probably kick it out of the pride or eat it. Are you suggesting that we eat our homeless? Because I think that is a great fucking idea.

Mmmhhh soylent greens
    "It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong....I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives.

My Ride
    MK7 R

My Ride
    2011 Audi TTs

mann it'd b a relief to get rid of that eyesore that really only offers a negative "character" as it reaches its 100yr old age...its nothing calgary should be proud of...altho it begs the question of where the people who hang out there would migrate to once it turns into a small park or whatever

....that and i really wonder what kids would actually go to a park in that area of town...guess it really depends on what kind of job they pull off with it, i still hope it goes thru though, would really love to see that hole gone.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast