Quantcast
Review-Mr Mikes Steakhouse - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Review-Mr Mikes Steakhouse

My Ride
    Fozzy XT

Default Review-Mr Mikes Steakhouse

- Restaurant name-Mr Mikes Steakhouse and Bar
    - Location 9727 MacLeod Trail SW (Old Red Robin)
    - Food rating 2/5
    - Ambience 3.5/5
    - Service 3/5
    - Value 2/5
    Checked out this new restaurant, as it's close to home and work, and they stuck a flyer on my car offering a free appy so off I went with a few friends. It’s a chain from Vancouver, and I think they're trying to be like the Keg, but from the West Coast, so more seafood on the menu and some different things on the menu.
    Ambience: They renovated the building, yet again, since Red Robin, it's been a Piano bar and something else I believe, so it's been gutted a few times. Nice inside, clean (it's only been open a few days I think) seemed like a decent place.

Service: was ok, seemed that the staff was not only new to the restaurant, but new to serving altogether. Our server was ok, and I'm sure will improve with more confidence.

Food: We ordered the appys, Sirloin bits with chipotle dressing and Calamari...the sirloin was great, very tasty, and the Calamari was probably below average, with not much tatziki. Then we ordered a couple of steaks, Ribs and a chicken Sandwich, and disappointment set in.. Caesar salad came first, not bad, but I never expect a great Caesar salad unless I’m at Chiantis, so no biggie, then the steak came. For a “steak house” to charge $25 for a 10oz Ribeye, and get what I got was a joke. It was less than ¼ inch thick, and honestly looked like they went to Safeway across the parking lot to buy it. Another person at the table had a steak and it was the same thing. How can you even ask a person how they want their steak cooked when it’s that thin? Ribs ordered were side ribs, not too bad, pretty tender, and the chicken burger was ok as well. I guess I just can’t believe they would call themselves a “Steak House” and so obviously know nothing about steak. They also had burgers on the menu, which looked good, but were probably on the high side at between $10-$12, so a little expensive.

To summarize, it’s nothing like the Keg, where even though they’re a chain and not as fancy as some of the other steakhouses in town, know their meat. This place being a chain chances are they may never know what a good steak looks like. Keg priced with a Denny’s style steak.

Been to the Okotoks one and you cannot compare it to the Keg, it is pub food, a little better than average pub fair. The name is certainly misleading, but I think the key there is 'Bar'

Kinda neat, funny ambience in the Okotoks one... there is a great pic of 4 guys and a girl standing in line and peeing on a tree... guess you have to see it...

I agree with the ceasar, it is very so-so even for a pub... they do have a decent spicy chicken dish that was good. The sirlon bits were good as well, had those at the pre-openning (free food for giving our opinion on a family and friends day)

The steak sandwich is ok.... again it is certainly not 'steak house' but is perfectly fine pub fair.

I do agree that they are a little on the pricey side for a little better than average pub food.

You can get service in this city still? ... Funny I thought the service industry was dead here.... Just teasing here.. I just find there are very few places left in Calgary that give great service...unless it is high end. People wonder why I am 'cheap' and the server is lucky to get 10%. Its not because I am cheap it is because I do not tip for poor/average service.. If I get great service I will tip 30% or more, funny how the retards think that you can ignore me, take an order and deliver food and expect a decent tip.... They could hire a monkey to do that... oh wait they did...

My Ride
    Lease

Default Re: Review-Mr Mikes Steakhouse

Originally posted by aaronck
    To summarize, it’s nothing like the Keg, where even though they’re a chain and not as fancy as some of the other steakhouses in town, know their meat. This place being a chain chances are they may never know what a good steak looks like. Keg priced with a Denny’s style steak.
    Wow, excellent summary. Guess I'll stick with Banzai or that Pho' place by Tramps... BTW: Anyone try that Chinese buffet above the TD bank in that complex??? (used to be Shanks)

I never understand why restaurants in that location are never successful. I've lived in the area all my life and I think the longest running tenant was Red Robin. Even Fuddrockers didn't last in the Jack Astor's location.

Sounds like a place to skip. We have a lot of choices along that stretch of Macleod.

I ate at the one in Cranbrook this summer and was very disappointed. I found the food bland and the steak was a tough tasteless chunk of meat and was expensive to boot. The restaurant was only about 1/2 full but there was a 15-20 minute wait to be seated and you would think by the speed of the service that were just slammed. I would not recommend them. Just an overall poor experience.
    '08.5 Mazda 3
    '90 Laser RS-T
    '07 Yamaha R6

My Ride
    Fozzy XT

Originally posted by QuasarCav
    I never understand why restaurants in that location are never successful. I've lived in the area all my life and I think the longest running tenant was Red Robin. Even Fuddrockers didn't last in the Jack Astor's location.

Sounds like a place to skip. We have a lot of choices along that stretch of Macleod.
    It's funny, but if you provide a decent lunch at a reasonable price the place should thrive. There's 3000 people in the Health Region building and office towers a 5 minute walk away that have only Jack Astors and the Black Swan/BPs to eat at. The Swan has great, reasonably priced pub grub and is filled most days at lunch. I guess it's tough get a restaurant formula that works.
    Last edited by aaronck; 10-30-2008 at 01:18 PM.

I grew up in Southhood...and worked at Fudruckers.. jeezus like 19 years ago.... ahh the memories... I did love that place.. the fries were great...

I think that strip mall is cursed for restraurnts....funny as it is a great location with lots of visability and parking...

That Pho place is pretty decent though

I used to love Red Robins until they changed the menu to almost all burgers. They used to have a pretty good selection and that location was always really busy, especially on the weekends. The last time I went in just after the menu change I was seated and looked through the menu. All my favorites were gone and when the waiter came back and asked me what I wanted I told him just to charge me for the pop as there wasn't anything I wanted. He said don't worry about the pop, he was getting that response a lot and he agreed the new menu sucked. A month or 2 later they were closed.
    '08.5 Mazda 3
    '90 Laser RS-T
    '07 Yamaha R6

My Ride
    X7 40i, Cayenne S, 335i Cab

Originally posted by kutt3r

That Pho place is pretty decent though
    that place is sooo expensive! like $15+ including tax/tips for their large sate beef soup alone,and they dont give you any meat. I rather drive 5 mins down to Sunshine pho by Canyon meadow Toyota

My Ride
    '10 RX350 & '08 e90 335i

Couldn't think that a Place called, Mr. Kimes would be all that great
    Autosignature

My Ride
    02 Celica GT-S

Originally posted by kutt3r
    Been to the Okotoks one and you cannot compare it to the Keg, it is pub food, a little better than average pub fair. The name is certainly misleading, but I think the key there is 'Bar'
    Been to the okotoks one a few times and you are dead on with the description of it.

The service we have gotten every time was exceptional, but the staff does seem like a bunch of young, never worked service before waitresses. Could be a good thing because they aren't bitter about their jobs yet. ...

That and you know... JB...
    Last edited by zerocon; 10-31-2008 at 08:57 AM.

My Ride
    WRX

There is a Mr Mike's in Red Deer and the location they're at is the same. All the restaurants in there previously have been there for 1-2 years max before they shut down.

Mr Mike's is pretty much the definition of mediocrity. Although when you order their home-brew beer it comes in a really tall glass, so thats kind of neat.

My Ride
    2010 Hyundai Elantra

I grew up in Kamloops most of my life and have eaten Mr. Mikes food since I was young.

When I found the one in West Edmonton Mall, I was stoked. They then told me about the one in Okotoks.

The first time in Okotoks, I left without leaving a tip for the first time in my life. I decided to give it one more try and low and behold, I got the exact same waitress. She was a little better, but barely deserved her 10% tip.

My sister then told me one opened up at the new place on McLeod Trail.

My wife and I jumped in the car and went straight there.

I would say the place is very nice inside, with lot's of room. The tables have very good distance apart, and doesn't feel like your sitting on the person's lap at the table beside you.

The only bad thing was the lack of tv's in the lounge, only a few small ones over the bar.

The waitress rocked, but for some reason everywhere we go we get great service in Calgary. Must be lucky. I ordered my usual s&p wings. They were great.

I must say that I have never actually had a steak at Mr. Mikes. I have always got the same thing...Super Mike burger with extra cheese. There is no other burger in the world that I love more.

Needless to say, I really hope that this location sticks around. I absolutely love that place and plan on being there every Sunday to eat and watch football, even though their tv's are too small.

Sorry about the long post, just had to let everyone know that the burgers and service is really good there.

My Ride
    G05

Default Re: Re: Review-Mr Mikes Steakhouse

Originally posted by TomcoPDR

Wow, excellent summary. Guess I'll stick with Banzai or that Pho' place by Tramps... BTW: Anyone try that Chinese buffet above the TD bank in that complex??? (used to be Shanks)

Lunch buffet isn't bad, went there for lunch quite often before.... quick and yummy salt and pepper squid

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

I used to like it quite a bit as a kid with the salad bar and everything. It's really a good-value type place, but the food isn't exactly fine dining.

Still - try to get that many veggies and things cheaper elsewhere.

food was ok.Portions were very small.

Ghilchrist gave this place a totally shit review last week, 5/10. and it's very rare for him to give bad reviews like this, so it means something

http://cbc.ca/calgary/media/audio/ey..._58646_CGY.ram

Originally posted by aaronck

It's funny, but if you provide a decent lunch at a reasonable price the place should thrive. There's 3000 people in the Health Region building and office towers a 5 minute walk away that have only Jack Astors and the Black Swan/BPs to eat at. The Swan has great, reasonably priced pub grub and is filled most days at lunch. I guess it's tough get a restaurant formula that works.
    do you like the black swan? any more concensus on this? we tried it one night and were VERY disappointed by the beer selection (especially for a place that calls itself a "tap house") and the food. It was a long time ago, but I think I had fish and chips which arrived luke warm and on a piece of wilted/rotting lettuce. can't remember what my dining partner had, but it was equally terrible. it was so bad we vowed to never go back again, and we haven't, but maybe we just went on an off day????